Offline brox42

• View Profile
Things You Can Do Everyday!
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »
Go outside and look at the sun an hour after sunrise. Note it's size. Go outside a couple hours later and note the sun's size. If it were disappearing due to perspective it would appear different sizes at all hours of the day.

This fun little experiment also works with the moon. If the moon were appearing and reappearing due to perspective it would be a different size at 9 PM than it is at 1 AM.

Note this is endlessly repeatable as long as you are alive and only requires your eyes!

Spoiler alert: It's always the same size.

Offline truth

• View Profile
Re: Things You Can Do Everyday!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:12:27 PM »
That's all ? nailed ? No hope ? should we weep ?
I invite you, hope for flat earth, hope for flat earthers and find us solution to our desire for flat earth ?
you can't ? that doesn't mean we can't.

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 05:17:55 PM »
God or other supreme court of heavenly wisdom can trick us all to determine our hope.

Offline brox42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
I invite you, hope for flat earth, hope for flat earthers and find us solution to our desire for flat earth ?

It's a pretty damning basic observation that negates one of the fundamental principles of flat earth theory.

God or other supreme court of heavenly wisdom can trick us all to determine our hope.

Doesn't that directly fly in the face of The Flat Earth Theory only believes in what we can repeatedly observe?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
It's a pretty damning basic observation that negates one of the fundamental principles of flat earth theory.

http://wiki.tfes.org/Magnification_of_the_Sun_at_Sunset

Offline brox42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »

That's not how perspective works. It would linearly get bigger and smaller throughout the day/night. Not just at sunrise and sunset.

There is no blur or distortion or "halo" effect to account the magnification of light that article refers to.

http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-empty-highway-at-night-without-people-and-cars-96558121.jpg

Also a picture of street lights at night when it isn't raining to demonstrate perspective.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:32:34 PM by brox42 »

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:50:17 AM »

No, nobody claimed "That's all ? nailed ? No hope ? should we weep ?"

All brox42  said was:
Go outside and look at the sun an hour after sunrise. Note it's size. Go outside a couple hours later and note the sun's size. If it were disappearing due to perspective it would appear different sizes at all hours of the day.

This fun little experiment also works with the moon. If the moon were appearing and reappearing due to perspective it would be a different size at 9 PM than it is at 1 AM.

Note this is endlessly repeatable as long as you are alive and only requires your eyes!

Spoiler alert: It's always the same size.

Just one little piece of evidence that has never been refuted without dragging up fanciful "known magnificafion due to the intense rays . . . . . . . " and rubbish like that.
No equations (plenty of those if you really want)!

And you haven't even attempted to explain it, just riducule it!

I implore everyone - open your eyes and look.
See sunrises, sunsets etc and don't try to "explain them away" -  accept that what you see, is what really happens.

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:19:17 AM »
And the Great Tom Bishop is back in the ring with bendy light folks.

We all, I'm sure I speak for everyone here, wait on bated breath to see where the argument goes this time around.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »

Round & round..................

Like the Earth.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 11:01:12 AM »
Is there any artist who believes that the earth is flat? I don't think so.

In art class I was taught the horizon line is always at the EYE LEVEL or the artist. It is not determined by being able to see at a fixed distance. The website attached has some useful illustrations.

http://www.joshuanava.biz/perspective/in-other-words-the-observer-simply-points-in-the-same-direction-as-the-lines-in-order-to-find-their-vanishing-point.html

Standing on a cliff even a few meters away from the beach, one will see further than a man with binoculars on the same beach. Why?

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »

In art class I was taught the horizon line is always at the EYE LEVEL or the artist. It is not determined by being able to see at a fixed distance. The website attached has some useful illustrations.

http://www.joshuanava.biz/perspective/in-other-words-the-observer-simply-points-in-the-same-direction-as-the-lines-in-order-to-find-their-vanishing-point.html

Standing on a cliff even a few meters away from the beach, one will see further than a man with binoculars on the same beach. Why?
Because of the atmosphere, it changes according to the observer.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »

Just like magic!
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »

Behold, the atmosphere is self-aware!
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »

Do any engineers think the Earth is flat? It doesn't matter, because they don't account for it at all when they work.

You will see further from higher up because the Pythagoras theorem. Your line of sight increases with altitude. Draw a triangle and try it. Now try to draw a diagram representing your line of sight in relation to a constantly curving away from you Earth. Not so easy is it.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 02:47:34 AM »

Do any engineers think the Earth is flat? It doesn't matter, because they don't account for it at all when they work.

You will see further from higher up because the Pythagoras theorem. Your line of sight increases with altitude. Draw a triangle and try it. Now try to draw a diagram representing your line of sight in relation to a constantly curving away from you Earth. Not so easy is it.

Here are a couple of diagrams I quickly drew. Thought they might clarify the situation.

“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »

Please show some evidence for this claim. You might get a surprise when you look at what Civil Engineers do.

Quote from: TheTruthIsOnHere

Please show how "You will see further from higher up because the Pythagoras theorem."
How could you use "the Pythagoras theorem" to prove that "you will see further from higher"?

In the Globe that is an easy task.

We have been often told that "we need evidence".
So yes, we will need some kind of real evidence that things work as you say they work, not a diagram.
I won't be so rigid, and a sound diagram with calculations would be a start.

I don't know what "Now try to draw a diagram representing your line of sight in relation to a constantly curving away from you Earth. Not so easy is it." is meant to mean.
Being easy or not is no evidence for or against the Globe or Flat Earth.

If being hard to explain was evidence, the Flat Earth wouldn't stand a chance!

Offline brox42

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 11:45:21 AM »
This thread appears to have gotten very off topic.

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »

That's not how perspective works. It would linearly get bigger and smaller throughout the day/night. Not just at sunrise and sunset.

There is no blur or distortion or "halo" effect to account the magnification of light that article refers to.

http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-empty-highway-at-night-without-people-and-cars-96558121.jpg

Also a picture of street lights at night when it isn't raining to demonstrate perspective.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 09:57:28 PM »

Here are a couple of diagrams I quickly drew. Thought they might clarify the situation.

As the height of the observer increases, so does the line of sight of the observer... the perceived distance to the horizon is an abstract fluid thing. You will see further, but still perceive a place where the ground and the sky meet, even though we know that this doesn't happen.

The Earth curving away from you isn't the reason your vision is limited. Your eyes aren't strong enough to see that far away, if you believe the Earth to just be a massive ball that only looks flat because it is so big, that is.

Try drawing your diagram to any kind of scale to see just how much higher you would have to be to see any kind of meaningful distance beyond that curving away "horizon." It's on par with the having to be 50,000 feet in the air to sorta, kinda, see the curvature of the earth.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 11:01:16 PM »

As the height of the observer increases, so does the line of sight of the observer... the perceived distance to the horizon is an abstract fluid thing. You will see further, but still perceive a place where the ground and the sky meet, even though we know that this doesn't happen.

Notice how in the second image (representing the flat earth), the location of the horizon is completely arbitrary? Based on that picture, where is the horizon?

The Earth curving away from you isn't the reason your vision is limited. Your eyes aren't strong enough to see that far away, if you believe the Earth to just be a massive ball that only looks flat because it is so big, that is.

Try drawing your diagram to any kind of scale to see just how much higher you would have to be to see any kind of meaningful distance beyond that curving away "horizon." It's on par with the having to be 50,000 feet in the air to sorta, kinda, see the curvature of the earth.

I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make. It has been demonstrated numerous times on this site that the horizon is where it should be based on a to-scale version of the top diagram.