Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #1820 on: July 05, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 05, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
If this is representative of America, then I guess I'm just used to the higher standards of civilised countries. This certainly wouldn't be passable in most Western European countries, which is probably why the BBC describes it as "chaos" and a "media frenzy".
Yes, well there is a reason America is known for being rude, obnoxious, and stupid while other countries are snobby and dull.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 05, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

Dangerous cyber-terrorist successfully stopped by heroic, mature media.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 05, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

It's shitty they did that, but I love that the guy immediately got scared and apologized when someone could identify him.

Classic troll.

Rama Set

« Reply #1824 on: July 05, 2017, 02:23:48 PM »

Because satire videos involving fake violence are the end-game of civilization.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: July 05, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
The video was ridiculous and not even close to a threat, but I'm intrigued by the notion that Trump took it from a racist shitposter on reddit. And CNN threatening to dox him like that is a huge dick move.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 05, 2017, 03:16:11 PM »
CNN insists on shooting themselves in the foot over and over again. However deplorable the stuff this guy is posting may be their threat to dox him is disturbing. And the video is just kind of silly. It's scary because I had members of my own family go on about how this is an example of Trump inciting violence (which Trump has unquestionably done in the past but I doubt seriously that that was his intention here).

Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: July 05, 2017, 03:58:15 PM »
The video was ridiculous and not even close to a threat, but I'm intrigued by the notion that Trump took it from a racist shitposter on reddit. And CNN threatening to dox him like that is a huge dick move.

^this.

Huge dick move by CNN.  But it also goes to show that you are not as anonymous as you think you are.  Especially when you're an idiot troll.

If the president didn't tweet that shit like a 13 year old on reddit, no one would have given a shit.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 05, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »
It's shitty they did that, but I love that the guy immediately got scared and apologized when someone could identify him.

Classic troll.
The guy is supposedly 15. If true, he's basically a kid. Plus, I'm not gonna lie, if a corporation the size of CNN started blackmailing me right now, I'd probably panic, at least to begin with.

It's been floating around on Twitter before Trump posted it. It's completely possible that he was unaware of the meme's origin. Combine that with the fact that Trump didn't post the exact GIF this boy produced, but rather a video with sound added (so clearly derivative work). Most people don't cite their animated GIFs particularly well.

EDIT: holy shit not even Vox is willing to defend this shit
EDIT2: There are now many more Trump vs CNN memes. Good job, CNN!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:32:30 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 05, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »
The guy is supposedly 15. If true, he's basically a kid. Plus, I'm not gonna lie, if a corporation the size of CNN started blackmailing me right now, I'd probably panic, at least to begin with.

Damn. Sucks he had to learn this way. Like Lord Dave said, you're never as anonymous as you think you are.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: July 05, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »
Like Lord Dave said, you're never as anonymous as you think you are.
Personally, I don't see why anonymity comes into this at all. I don't think CNN should be reporting on the multiple Trump memes I've retweeted this evening either, even though I did so under my real name. It's one thing to ask whether or not you have the right to remain anonymous, and another thing entirely to ask if major media outlets should write articles calling individual citizens out for saying things they don't like.

Honestly, the idea of "if you slap my company's logo on a meme, I'll threaten you into submission" just doesn't sit right with me.

Plus, if BuzzFeed, the beacon of ethical journalism, is to be believed, CNN may have blackmailed the wrong guy.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:14:27 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: July 05, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
Like Lord Dave said, you're never as anonymous as you think you are.
Personally, I don't see why anonymity comes into this at all. I don't think CNN should be reporting on the multiple Trump memes I've retweeted this evening either, even though I did so under my real name. It's one thing to ask whether or not you have the right to remain anonymous, and another thing entirely to ask if major media outlets should write articles calling individual citizens out for saying things they don't like.

Honestly, the idea of "if you slap my company's logo on a meme, I'll threaten you into submission" just doesn't sit right with me.

Plus, if BuzzFeed, the beacon of ethical journalism, is to be believed, CNN may have blackmailed the wrong guy.

See, I can understand CNN or any news outlet, looking for whoever made it to ask them questions.  And only revealing him if he wants to be revealed.  Forcing it, I do not approve of.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: July 05, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »
See, I can understand CNN or any news outlet, looking for whoever made it to ask them questions.
Yeah, I see no problem with that. An article along the lines of "We talked to the guy who made that meme, he told us 10 things, number 8 will shock you" would be fine in my books. It's the weird atmosphere of "We found this guy. Here's how. Also, he apologised and told us he agrees with everything we've ever said. We're not gonna reveal his identity right now, but we may or may not change our minds" that makes this really messed up.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 06, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
Personally, I don't see why anonymity comes into this at all.
It comes into it because of the poor kid who is scared of CNN revealing his identity. And he's scared because he felt comfortable saying stupid shit through reddit anonymity.
Just because you're fine standing by your posts doesn't mean he is. If CNN didn't find him someone else could have and that's something he should remember in the future. It's not the main crux of the article or issue with CNN but it is a by-product that will affect the kid's life so that's why we're talking about it.

Anyway, yes, CNN is being really ridiculous with this. They call Trump out for having thin skin and like hypocrites, put all this work into finding someone who made a stupid gif.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 06, 2017, 02:27:45 PM »
There's no evidence that the redditor is fifteen. That just seems to be a thing that Trump supporters on Twitter pulled out of their asses. And if his own posts are to be believed, he was a teenager back in 1990, which supports the reporter's claim that he's middle-aged:

ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 06, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
Huh. That makes more sense to me. I thought the apology seemed a bit too mature and well thought out to be from a 15 year old.

Dude should have known better than to be a troll. But most of the hateful and ignorant shit I see on facebook posts are from middle aged people who absolutely stand by what they say.

Not that I really care about him - CNN shouldn't be such a pussy.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 06, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
Just because you're fine standing by your posts doesn't mean he is. If CNN didn't find him someone else could have and that's something he should remember in the future. It's not the main crux of the article or issue with CNN but it is a by-product that will affect the kid's life so that's why we're talking about it.
Yeah, that's fair enough. However, if CNN now came to me and said "you've been saying all these mean things, and unless you apologise, we'll write a long article about how you're a big mean racist Trump supporter", it wouldn't just be a question of whether or not I stand by my (largely satirical) shitposts. It would be a question of whether or not I want to be publicly shamed and defamed by a major "news" organisation.

There's no evidence that the redditor is fifteen.
It came from a 4chan dox, which is why I presented it as an allegation rather than anything else. It does seem to check out, and that's more evidence than Kaczynski's "oh no he is no kid no no no there was no blackmail just a friendly chat :) :) :)" tweet, but it certainly needs to be taken with the understanding that it could turn out to be completely and utterly false.

That said, CNN blackmailing an adult is only marginally less shit than CNN blackmailing a teenager. Hardly enough of a difference to matter.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:15:46 PM by SexWarrior »

Rama Set

« Reply #1837 on: July 06, 2017, 07:17:17 PM »
One of HanAssHole's reddit posts mentioned that he was a teenager in the 1990s.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 06, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
One of HanAssHole's reddit posts mentioned that he was a teenager in the 1990s.
Supposedly, yes. Saddam posted an image in the post I'm responding to. But, if we're trusting unsourced screenshots of now-deleted posts, we're going to be trusting a lot of fake shit.

Like this, for example:

Rama Set

« Reply #1839 on: July 06, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
Sorry I didn't see Saddam's image.