Offline rooster

• View Profile
Duck Dynasty Controversy
« on: December 19, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »
My Facebook is blowing up about some guy on Duck Dynasty getting booted from the show because he said in an interview that he thinks homosexuality is a sin. A&E doesn't agree with his opinions and chose to kick him off the show.

Most people seem to be upset over this decision. SOMEHOW, people think that this is taking away his Freedom of Speech. When in reality, it's a private company that doesn't want to be represented by a homophobic man. I don't understand how people are muddling this issue.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
Re: Duck Dynasty Controversy
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:32:57 PM »
Yes, its has nothing to do with freedom of speech, and people are dumb. I first heard of this story from CR90s Facebook, heh.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
It ain't like it's the government kicking him out of the country.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:42:12 PM »
If you're a Christian and don't think homosexuality is a sin, you're doing it wrong.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:02:37 AM »
He actually threw homosexuality into the same pile as bestiality, as well as sleeping around.  I doubt A&E would be so naïve to not think this super conservative-Christian 67 year old from Louisiana would not have a problem with homosexuality.  His comment was pretty crass.  That said, the people talking about his freedom of speech are idiots, and Mick Huckabee is right in the thick of this bawwing.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
If you're a Christian and don't think homosexuality is a sin, you're doing it wrong.

Not necessarily.

Anyway, people don't watch Duck Dynasty for the religious commentary, they watch it for the...uh...
I honestly couldn't say either as I've never seen a single episode.

To be charmed by southern gentlemen?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:47:57 AM by rooster »

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »
They are good God fearing folk who are going to save the morality of America by praying at dinner.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:06 AM »
Never saw the show, no interest in reality television, hunting, or redneck antics.  Not at all surprised that he believes homosexuality is a sin, because well, his face is on every aisle in Wal-Mart, so one can conclude he's not known for his intellectual superiority.  Honestly not surprised to hear the bestiality comparison either, it's pretty common among the fundamental religious folks.  The fact that he was reprimanded to this extent is surprising, but in a good way.   

And the "freedom of speech" clowns are idiots.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »
The article I read quoted him as basically putting homosexuality as the definition of sin, and every other sin branches out from that.

Here's the link:  http://news.yahoo.com/patriarch-off-39-duck-dynasty-39-gay-comments-013907278.html

I've seen Duck Dynasty once because my mom got into it and wanted us to see.  All I saw was basically normal southern redneck life, only with more idiocy.  They actually tried to vacuum bees out of a hive trying to get raw honey on a whim.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 02:01:50 AM »
The only thing pathetic here is A&E labeling themselves as "champions of the LGBT community" when it is purely for profit. Meanwhile, a man who is expressing what seem to be his honest opinions, gets shafted. This is why Liberals are complete idiots.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:03:25 AM by The Dwarf »

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 02:54:54 AM »
The only thing pathetic here is A&E labeling themselves as "champions of the LGBT community" when it is purely for profit. Meanwhile, a man who is expressing what seem to be his honest opinions, gets shafted. This is why Liberals are complete idiots.

This post makes absolutely no sense. A&E will do what is best to protect their business and retain viewers. Because they are a business. They will portray themselves in what they believe will be the most positive light to their viewers. Therefor liberals are idiots? What?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 03:08:00 AM »
I am not even sure what this show is about. Whenever I ask anyone who's seen it they've never really been able to explain it. I'm almost curious to watch an episode or two 'cause of that, but I'm mostly just baffled as to how it's managed to be so popular that it's plastered everywhere and has popular merchandise.

That said, I don't really see how this is much of an issue. As said, anyone who claims this guy's freedom of speech is being withheld or he's being oppressed or something is pretty dumb for all the reasons stated prior already. I mean, pretty much anyone who speaks out against homosexuality so crassly in the media who isn't on a hugely right-wing network (FOX or, more notably, FOX) is probably going to get themselves in a bucketload of trouble. I mean, hell, when even sports teams, the most overly-macho of masculinity squared, will fine or fire players for doing such things...

Well, I don't think "Christian" necessarily has to do with the Bible so much as following Christ and his teachings. That's why so many use the "I only follow the New Testament" excuse. That said, if they claim to follow the New Testament, it does say the Old laws still apply, but...my point is that I think many use it as a term to pretty much describe following solely what Christ himself promoted. And as he himself never said anything about gay marriage, it's kinda moot.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 03:16:08 AM »

This post makes absolutely no sense. A&E will do what is best to protect their business and retain viewers. Because they are a business. They will portray themselves in what they believe will be the most positive light to their viewers. Therefor liberals are idiots? What?

Liberals are idiots because they are just the conservative counterpart. They harbor just as much hate and discrimination. The difference is that their opinions have more validation in society.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 03:30:21 AM »
??? I don't even know what you're trying to say.

Conservatives are mad because a business made a decision that would reflect positively on its viewers.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 03:41:39 AM »
Conservatives are mad that religion is being "stifled" by A&E for suspending him indefinitely for his crass comments.  Though they are spinning it that he is suspended for disagreeing with homosexuality in general.

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 04:39:17 AM »
I've been reading some of the comments left on articles talking about this and I just have to say, holy shit. This might be the event that fractures America in two.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 05:11:53 AM »
I've been reading some of the comments left on articles talking about this and I just have to say, holy shit. This might be the event that fractures America in two.

Nah, this is nothing new.

Offline bj1234

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 05:26:30 AM »
Nothing different than the Chick-Fil-A "controversy" from a few years ago.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 06:14:58 AM »
People complaining that a reality show has too much reality in it.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »
This is just like what happened with Paula Dean.  OMG old southern white people are racist and intolerant.  ::)
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)