What is the reason for perpetuating the round earth?
« on: April 18, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
I'm pretty new here, and I was just wondering what reasons people, companies, and governments have to continue perpetuating the round earth.

Devils Advocate

Re: What is the reason for perpetuating the round earth?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »
I'm pretty new here, and I was just wondering what reasons people, companies, and governments have to continue perpetuating the round earth.

Other than the fact earth is clearey spherical you mean?

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »

You realize this is FE Q&A, right?

Warned.

Devils Advocate

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:27:42 PM »

It's because that's what we all expect to see when we see an image of earth so that's what they give us, some here believe that no one truly knows 🌎 earth shape as all space travel is faked. I personally think I it's because earth is spherical but I need to emphasise that that's my own opinion. Maybe you read the wiki? Maybe you'll get more replies, maybe you've not checked back.

Devils Advocate

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »

You realize this is FE Q&A, right?

Warned.

Damn it, sorry, thought I was being ironic, turns out I was moronic, my bad. I've supplied a better answer.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »
https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Conspiracy
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:10:20 PM »
https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Conspiracy

From your amazing (*sarcasm*) wiki: "At some point, perhaps after the Apollo 1 disaster, it was decided to fake the space program outright and use rockets which only needed to fly into the air until they disappeared from sight." -- PROOF?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:09:21 PM »
-- PROOF?
The "Evidence for the Conspiracy" section follows shortly afterwards.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 06:25:29 PM »
-- PROOF?

It sure does, except pretty much none of that nonsense qualifies as "evidence". And I was asking specifically for proof that "it was decided to fake the space program" -- where is the evidence for that decision? Who made it and when? Do you have it in writing or perhaps an audio recording of someone saying it?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 08:52:18 PM »
-- PROOF?

Wow. Not a word about Russia.

First satellite.
First animal in space.
First man and woman in space.

And not a word about them ... so they're exempt from "The Conspiracy", then?

EDIT - apparently so, for the Motive for the Conspiracy is focused purely on NASA.

NASA is not the only space agency with an active space programme.

"The earth is portrayed as round in NASA media..."  and in Russian media, and in SpaceX media, etc etc

Most of the 'evidence for the conspiracy' focuses on missions to other celestial bodies - the Moon, Mars, Saturn etc. Even if total and utter fakery could be proved with respect to these missions, that has no bearing on the shape of the Earth, does it?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:59:30 PM by Tumeni »
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 06:11:16 AM »

Bitches. Like everything else it's all about getting laid.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Devils Advocate

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 08:19:14 AM »

Bitches. Like everything else it's all about getting laid.

Because the spherical earth is shaped like a breast or do you mean in the sense that we refer to it as "mother earth" and you have an Oedipus complex? (asking for a friend)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 10:22:57 AM »
Wow. Not a word about Russia.
An interesting point (though please maintain the distinction between Russia and the Soviet Union), but not a particularly surprising one, given the fairly anglocentric nature of this society. I imagine Russian Flat Earth or space conspiracy movements might be able to assist you on that one.

SpaceX media
Yeah, yeah, NASA subcontractors are technically separate from NASA. How very exciting and relevant.

Even if total and utter fakery could be proved with respect to these missions, that has no bearing on the shape of the Earth, does it?
This is incorrect - it has some bearing, and is most likely the source of the RE myth. I refer you back to the article.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:25:36 AM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
I have much experience with the USSR reigion, having much family from and in the area, and having made numerous trips, and from what I can understand, along with some handy dandy googling, this is entirely an American and UK problem.
Well, your experience directly contradicts mine. I'm not extremely familiar with their space conspiracy and Flat Earth groups, but we have been in contact before.

The modern day russia, who was the main power in the soviet union, considers the western flat earth movement idiotic.
So do the United States, largely. Of course, that tide is turning in both countries.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/894517/Russia-Flat-Earth-space-conspiracy-theory-NASA-USA-Freddie-Flintoff-Mike-Hughes-news
https://sputniknews.com/science/201712191060146663-flat-earth-space-trolling-russia-iss/
Okay, so your argument is that one person called the movement idiotic and couldn't believe that anyone would be part of it. And your own source is quoted as saying "I am sorry to hear it’s echoing in Russia as well." It's almost as if you already found the evidence to prove yourself wrong!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:32:39 AM by Pete Svarrior »

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 10:11:01 PM »
I have much experience with the USSR reigion, having much family from and in the area, and having made numerous trips, and from what I can understand, along with some handy dandy googling, this is entirely an American and UK problem.
Well, your experience directly contradicts mine. I'm not extremely familiar with their space conspiracy and Flat Earth groups, but we have been in contact before.

The modern day russia, who was the main power in the soviet union, considers the western flat earth movement idiotic.
So do the United States, largely. Of course, that tide is turning in both countries.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/894517/Russia-Flat-Earth-space-conspiracy-theory-NASA-USA-Freddie-Flintoff-Mike-Hughes-news
https://sputniknews.com/science/201712191060146663-flat-earth-space-trolling-russia-iss/
Okay, so your argument is that one person called the movement idiotic and couldn't believe that anyone would be part of it. And your own source is quoted as saying "I am sorry to hear it’s echoing in Russia as well." It's almost as if you already found the evidence to prove yourself wrong!
If the tide is turning when can we expect a new accurate map and have to replan flights times and realign satelllite dishes?

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 03:13:49 AM »
-- PROOF?
A little late to the draw here, but the rockets failed every time, right? And suddenly they worked perfectly? Have you heard of the invention called the lightbulb? Y'know, failed a thousand times then suddenly started working when the inventor had a working base model? Or are lightbulbs a conspiracy,  too?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »
-- PROOF?
A little late to the draw here, but the rockets failed every time, right? And suddenly they worked perfectly? Have you heard of the invention called the lightbulb? Y'know, failed a thousand times then suddenly started working when the inventor had a working base model? Or are lightbulbs a conspiracy,  too?

After 12 years of Cold War starting at the end of WWII (and also before then), and constant rocket failure to get into orbit, the US was able to get Explorer 1 into orbit within 3 months of Sputnick.

What a coincidence. I guess all it took was for the managers to tell their engineers who consistently failed to get into to orbit was to "work harder!"

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 09:33:54 PM »
-- PROOF?

After 12 years of Cold War starting at the end of WWII (and also before then), and constant rocket failure to get into orbit, the US was able to get Explorer 1 into orbit within 3 months of Sputnick.

What a coincidence. I guess all it took was for the managers to tell their engineers who consistently failed to get into to orbit was to "work harder!"
So what? “I have not failed 10,000 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 10,000 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.” - Thomas Edison. The history of invention is littered with failures. Who's to say the Sputnik launch didn't provide them the insight they needed to get their own design working. Or any of another dozen reasons. Coincidence does not a conspiracy make.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 11:05:56 PM »
So what? “I have not failed 10,000 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 10,000 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.” - Thomas Edison. The history of invention is littered with failures.

With that analogy we should expect many dead astronauts littering the moon's surface from failed missions.

Who's to say the Sputnik launch didn't provide them the insight they needed to get their own design working. Or any of another dozen reasons. Coincidence does not a conspiracy make.

There is something far worse than a Conspiracy Theorist. It is a Coincidence Theorist.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »

So, you accept that Explorer 1 did actually get into orbit, and that Sputnik did, too?
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?