Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: The Flat Earth FAQ on Gravity is completely wrong
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »
all over the place here.  why wouldnt earth be a closed system?  we are not talking about a sudden acceleration that just started.  that would cause air to "swoosh" for lack of a better term.  but we are talking about an acceleration over a very long period of time.  why wouldnt the air equalize?
...but you are talking about acceleration. If you're on a plane then when the plane accelerates to take off you're pushed back in your seat, when it is going at a constant speed you're not, because you're going at the same velocity as the plane. The movement hasn't stopped, the acceleration has. But in the UA model the acceleration is constant, so the swoosh would be constant.

If you accept that space is a vaccuum and the earth isn't then what is stopping the high pressure over the plane from leaking out over the edges into space as it is accelerated upwards?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
all over the place here.  why wouldnt earth be a closed system?  we are not talking about a sudden acceleration that just started.  that would cause air to "swoosh" for lack of a better term.  but we are talking about an acceleration over a very long period of time.  why wouldnt the air equalize?

If you accept that space is a vaccuum and the earth isn't

you answered your own question.  if one is a vacuum and the other isnt....closed syste.  what the mechanics are that creates that, well i could make up something like you guys do, or i can be honest and say i dont know.  i choose to be honest.
Quote from: SiDawg
Planes fall out of the sky all the time

Offline Appaullingly

• ¯\(◉◡◔)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
If we can all agree that there is a force/ acceleration, apparent or not, acting 'downwards' then we can all agree that on both a flat Earth and a globe the atmospheric pressure will be exponentially decreasing. The barometric formula developed by Boltzman, with its foundation in statistical mechanics, makes no assumption on the shape of the Earth. All that is assumed is that there is an acceleration that is constant in height (a fair one for the globe theory). The exponential decrease in pressure is purely a consequence of the statistical thermodynamics and says nothing on the shape of the Earth or whether or not there is gravity.

Just to be more explicit. Here is the important line in the Wikipedia article:
Assuming constant temperature, molar mass, and gravitational acceleration, we get the barometric formula...

So, for all theories there should be a vacuum at very high altitudes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:35:53 PM by Appaullingly »
Pete Svarrior: "This is really quite simple. The moon doesn't rotate, the observer does."

Pete Svarrior on EA: "of course it causes a rotation... just not along the axis you're interested in right now."

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »

If you accept that space is a vaccuum and the earth isn't

you answered your own question.  if one is a vacuum and the other isnt....closed syste.  what the mechanics are that creates that, well i could make up something like you guys do, or i can be honest and say i dont know.  i choose to be honest.
OK, firstly, I don't know what you mean by "you guys". You don't believe in a flat earth.
But more importantly, I don't see how your post follows on from mine at all.
In what sense is the earth and the space around it a closed system? The earth is a disc which has an atmosphere above it.
The space around it is a vacuum.
If you accept these two things then there is nothing to stop the high pressure over the disc leaking out into the vacuum.
Your two possible solutions here, that I can think of, are a physical dome or that the plane the earth is on is infinite and the atmosphere has already equalised across it.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"