Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Ban policy discussion - abuse from organisations
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 02:29:01 PM »
So... I see a never expiring ban on people who break rule 8. yet, what is rule 8, so I don't break it...
Have you tried reading the rules?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 05:14:52 PM »
So... I see a never expiring ban on people who break rule 8. yet, what is rule 8, so I don't break it...
8. Keep alternate accounts within reason

We will be taking a very relaxed policy towards alternate accounts ("alts"), provided that people do not force us to take a stricter stance by abusing this policy. Alts are allowed, and will be permitted free reign across all fora, provided that they follow the rules for the forum they are posting in. FES has a history of alts that contribute to discussions in addition to the usual complement of spamming and trolling alts, and it would be a shame to try to restrict this.

There are two exceptions to this policy: one, an alt that is used for the purpose of furthering a main or another alt's argument without itself contributing a unique point of view on the situation ("sockpuppetting") will be immediately banned; two, an alt that is intended to impersonate a member either here or on the old FES will be immediately banned, and deleted if it is occupying the username of an old FES member, as otherwise it would bar them from registering here.

An alt breaking any rule that would ordinarily result in a warning can (at moderator discretion) be handled by immediately banning the alt account, and instead warning the main account of the person controlling it.

Edit:
It's harder to find the rules than it needs to be. May I suggest stickying them at the top of every upper-fora so that they're easier to find?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:16:29 PM by Benjamin Franklin »
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 06:04:05 PM »
I can't think of one good reason to allow alts. It may be a hoot for the person creating them, but it is a total waste of anyone who is replying to them's time. Supposing I now make an alt and start making explain threads in FET and Tom Bishop wastes 3 hours arguing the toss with me.

Great, I wasted Tom's time. Hilarious for me I'm sure.

I like the mantra in life that you can do whatever you like, so long as it doesn't hurt other people. Alts offer nothing to the forum other than the personal enjoyment of the troll creating them. But that has a cost to everyone else. I'd happily see alts exterminated.

I'd love to see an example of these 'contributions' that alts make and how they 'contribute' over just having a normal account.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:06:52 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 08:54:34 PM »
It's harder to find the rules than it needs to be. May I suggest stickying them at the top of every upper-fora so that they're easier to find?
Although you're presented with the rules at the time of registration, I agree that more exposure is better. SMF doesn't easily allow sticky-posting across multiple boards, but I'll see if we can work out something similar.

However, this thread is veering severely off-topic. This is about whether or not we should be allowed to ban schools if we get raided by angry schoolkids. Please open another thread if you have anything to add on the ancillary subjects that arose here.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume