Treep Ravisarras

Re: I'm confused: How have we gotten it wrong for so long?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
disregard
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:38:18 AM by Treep Ravisaras »

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
Would it not be better to live in the world that REs claim exist (such as myself)? All of those problems I said above disappear.
Unlike RE'ers, we do not much care for what sounds nice, what world would be better to live in, or what makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside. We care only about what is true, and what can be empirically measured and observed.
Who is 'we'?  Do you observe the path of the sun at many different places on earth?

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »
Would it not be better to live in the world that REs claim exist (such as myself)? All of those problems I said above disappear.
Unlike RE'ers, we do not much care for what sounds nice, what world would be better to live in, or what makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside. We care only about what is true, and what can be empirically measured and observed.
Who is 'we'?  Do you observe the path of the sun at many different places on earth?

Some of us do travel around to do our own experiments, yes.
Am I in the right place?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 02:01:21 PM »

Have you traveled and done experiments? If so, what did you do?
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »

I have flown around many times to try and observe the curvature of the earth (failed).
Am I in the right place?

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »

I have flown around many times to try and observe the curvature of the earth (failed).
You will not see the curve of the Earth from the height of a commercial airplane, other than a Concorde if you were lucky/privileged enough to have flown on one.

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »

You will not see the curve of the Earth from the height of a commercial airplane, other than a Concorde if you were lucky/privileged enough to have flown on one.

And yet you are so sure that there should be a curve. How convenient.
Am I in the right place?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 04:03:17 PM »

It is neither convenient or inconvenient, it's just the earth is really big. So a curve can't be discerned until you're higher than a commercial plane flies.
Loads of footage from weather balloons showing the curve, I guess you just dismiss those as fake which I guess is an easy way to prove yourself right.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »

It is neither convenient or inconvenient, it's just the earth is really big. So a curve can't be discerned until you're higher than a commercial plane flies.
Loads of footage from weather balloons showing the curve, I guess you just dismiss those as fake which I guess is an easy way to prove yourself right.

Actually at university we once sent a balloon up with a camera on it, and we could not see a curve. Have you send any cameras up to see this curve for yourself?
Am I in the right place?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Actually at university we once sent a balloon up with a camera on it, and we could not see a curve. Have you send any cameras up to see this curve for yourself?
Quite tempted to say "yes" to see what your response would be but that would be dishonest.
The honest answer is no, but while I can't sensibly comment on your attempt I've seen plenty of football from amateur balloons and of course the multiple space agencies which only backs up what we've known about the shape of the earth for thousands of years.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
Quite tempted to say "yes" to see what your response would be but that would be dishonest.
The honest answer is no, but while I can't sensibly comment on your attempt

Good, that is the whole point! Don't take my word on it, don't take someone else's word on it, but go out and do your own empirical testing. If you keep your mind open I am sure you will find that the idea of a round earth is not as self-evident as you would think. Heck, you might even come here to argue for FET in due time.

I've seen plenty of football from amateur balloons and of course the multiple space agencies which only backs up what we've known about the shape of the earth for thousands of years.

I don't know what you mean with football from amateur balloons. Did these amateur balloons show the curvature of a football? I can believe that.
Am I in the right place?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 04:57:28 PM »
Don't take my word on it, don't take someone else's word on it, but go out and do your own empirical testing. If you keep your mind open I am sure you will find that the idea of a round earth is not as self-evident as you would think.

Why do you insist on empirical testing for this ONE aspect of our existence, when you take so much else in your daily life at face value?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »
Don't take my word on it, don't take someone else's word on it, but go out and do your own empirical testing. If you keep your mind open I am sure you will find that the idea of a round earth is not as self-evident as you would think.

Why do you insist on empirical testing for this ONE aspect of our existence, when you take so much else in your daily life at face value?

Who says that I do?
Am I in the right place?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 06:37:31 PM »

How high did it go?
-Terry50

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 09:33:26 AM »

How high did it go?

3km
Am I in the right place?

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »

3km
Not high enough to see curvature. You'd need to be over 10k. You've drawn your conclusion from incomplete data.

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »

3km
Not high enough to see curvature. You'd need to be over 10k. You've drawn your conclusion from incomplete data.

So in what experiments have you taken part? So far my own observations have shown me that the earth is flat.
Am I in the right place?

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »

3km

So in what experiments have you taken part? So far my own observations have shown me that the earth is flat.
What has my involvement in experiments got to do with your incomplete attempt to get a balloon high enough to see the curve? Your response is called "Whataboutism". Are you going to try your balloon again? How did you measure the height last time? Please provide workings.

Offline jimbob

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
I have seen a ship disappear over the horizon with a powerfull telescope. It did disappear bottom first on a clear day, no shimmer or distortion however I cant be certain that it didnt sink slowly. If it did, it didnt send out any SOS because the Coast Guard didnt come running.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 12:11:08 PM »

How high did it go?

3km

LOL - 3km?? You can't see any curve at such a low altitude. This is exactly the problem with FEH. You fancy yourself a backyard scientist, perform an experiment, get the exact results one would expect on the globe, and then claim the Earth is flat. I think it is safe to say many, if not most of us, have been much higher than your balloon. You'd need to be about 20km up to really see the curve. This has been proven and witnessed by many people.
-Terry50