Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Interstellar
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:27:49 AM »
Has anyone seen it yet? Despite some of the deus ex machina plot nonsense, I think it was quite good. It felt a little like Inception in space, but I'm very biased towards space movies. And not enough of them come out because they're so hard to do well. But Interstellar was done well. I'd give it a 9/10. But you have to see it in the theater to really appreciate it, I think.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:30:43 AM by Andrew »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »
Interstellar. Wow. I think that may be the greatest film I've ever seen, for me. It was gorgeous on every single level...visually, aurally, even in the story... The realistic renderings of wormholes, black holes, the "fourth dimension" and tesseracts...God damn, just...as someone who loves science, particularly physics and space, to death...this film is the crowning moment of sci-fi, I think. It's a science fiction film that really, *genuinely* LOVES science and it shows. No half-assed special effects just to have big explosions and crap, no, this film is gorgeous because of its realism. I don't think people really *grasp* how *gorgeous* and amazing space is. We're fed this halfhearted crap by sci-fi films that we just take for granted now, but this film goes the whole damn mile to show you exactly what space is, how grand and expansive and unimaginably beyond imagination it is. When they're going through that wormhole...something we've seen in dozens of films, but when they're doing it here and it's modeled by a real physicist, rendered for hundreds of hours with complex algorithms to make sure it's accurate...it's beyond anything I've ever seen before.

And the music...and the absolute lack of it at times... I could go on for hours. It's absolutely beautiful. Minimal when it needs to be, and extremely loud and shrill when the film would benefit most...then dead silent in the vast expanse of space. It's chilling.

Then, finally, the story. I don't want to spoil anything, but god. I'll be the first to admit that the film forgoes realism at various points for the sake of film, and that it even veers into hypothetical—or sheerly tangential—territory at times, it's all worth it. This movie, man...this movie.  I haven't cried at a movie in a good while, but this one made me cry two and a half times. Once sort of early on I cried from Matthew McConaughey's amazing performance, then I teared up later on. Then afterwards, as I left the theater, I just started crying again...partly because it was just so amazing to me, but also because it got me thinking about the world so much.

Everyone should have to see this. THIS is the amazing, *real* stuff we're missing out on when we cut NASA funding because it's "not important". Not important? Do you forget who we are? Like they say in the film, humans are explorers, it's in us, our fate is not to die on this planet, it's to go beyond and yet we're letting ourselves be held back because people are so obsessed with the goddamn materialism and petty squabbles and attachments here. We're so short-sighted that we think it's better to pollute the hell out of this planet and then dismiss any solutions as "not worth it", or "too costly" or "unnecessary". Honestly, after this film...that line of thinking really disgusts me. It's actually really, really saddening...I want to see space, other planets, new discoveries and exploration. I don't want humanity to doom itself to a pathetic life of bitching between vaguely-different political parties or stupid fights about how people shouldn't be equal because everyone's so damn scared of change. I don't want humanity to have this amazing start where we colonized an entire planet, scraped the edge of space by sending men to the Goddamn *moon*, only to flicker out and die because we were too short-sighted, selfish and obsessed with immediate gain to continue our legacy. It's legitimately hard not to cry about, just looking up into the sky and knowing that we should be up there, we should be doing everything in our power to be among the fucking stars and just doing things we'd have never imagined possible before. I want that more than anything. I think this film, more than anything, has solidified my desire to get into science, to be a physicist. Hopefully I have the drive to do it. But, above all, I really hope more people see this movie and open their eyes to what we should be doing.

Our destiny is not on this planet. Earth should really just be our stepping stone to greater things. Our destiny is out there.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:08:38 AM »
Worst. Movie. Ever.

Pretentious "wow so bold" film that deserves none of the money it is making. Literally the worst film I have ever seen and I've seen The Room, which was much better entertainment wise.

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:09:41 AM »
I was worried about it going Deus Ex Machina, but I thought the scenes on the station at the end were so great that it paid off the more contrived bits. The only part that really irked me was the "love is a dimension" theme. It felt too sentimental and did not fit the movie. If he had just said he had to follow his heart I think it would have been just as effective, but not a hokey.

The scene where he says goodbye to Murph was brilliant and so were the scenes after they get back from the first planet.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:10:51 AM »
Worst. Movie. Ever.

Pretentious "wow so bold" film that deserves none of the money it is making. Literally the worst film I have ever seen and I've seen The Room, which was much better entertainment wise.

I did not think it was bold at all. Just well thought out with a good heart. What made you think it was pretentious if you can single anything out?

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »
The hack/frauds at RLM have released their review of the movie. Going to end up watching that before I see the movie itself.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:09:06 AM by Vindictus »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:31:14 AM »
Literally Prometheus.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:08:53 AM »
Oh God I botched that link.

tl;dw the RLM guys liked it, but felt it was too many movies rolled into one. They felt that the weakest part of the movie was the human drama.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:50:42 AM by Vindictus »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
I wanna see it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »

tl;dw the RLM guys liked it, but felt it was too many movies rolled into one. They felt that the weakest part of the movie was the human drama.
This is what I've been hearing. That it was too ambitious with the space scenes that it weakened the human element. Basically, it missed the mark.

I'm still going to see it cause I think it'll still be good regardless. I'm just worried it'll be similar to 12 Years a Slave.

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »
The human element was definitely strong. I am not sure how strong it was expected to be in a space exploration movie. Is it Bridges of Madison County? No, but it has much more depth than any other sci-fi movie I have seen. Enough so that it transcends the genre I think.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »

This is what I've been hearing. That it was too ambitious with the space scenes that it weakened the human element. Basically, it missed the mark.

I'm still going to see it cause I think it'll still be good regardless. I'm just worried it'll be similar to 12 Years a Slave.

My favorite part of 12 Years a Slave was when the main guy went through the wormhole to gain his freedom and his captors were very baffled.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »
What was wrong with 12 years a slave

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 01:47:50 AM »
What was wrong with 12 years a slave
It tried really hard but didn't hit its mark.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »
It was much too long, it couldn't pick a genre, and too many of its plot devices were completely contrived.

So love is a dimension or whatever, and also some aliens that are actually us from the future are going to drag you across the universe into a black hole to transcend the boundaries of space and time but only in this one room and you can't really do anything but push some books around.

e: There actually were a lot of things I liked about this film; I just wish it had either been a more interesting drama or a more interesting sci-fi flick.  If it had been mostly a character drama that culminated in his black hole journey (a la Contact), that could have been great.  Likewise, it could have been a great pure sci-fi movie, going to more planets, maybe throwing in a robot fight or two.

And I think everyone who saw it would agree that TARS was the highlight of the film.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:14:08 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
So, I just saw this. I'm not really sure how to describe how I feel about it, so let's just say that while there wasn't really anything glaringly bad about it, nothing in it really quite hit the mark. That's pretty much how I've felt about every Nolan film I've seen, so not much surprise there. I guess "too ambituous" puts it quite well. Nolan's cinematography isn't nearly good enough to match the graceful aesthetics of films such as 2001: A Space Odyssey or Gravity, and the characterization is not only stuck in one dimension, but due to all the time distortion stuff, whatever little there is to them is given very little screentime to get properly established and thus they don't really grab your attention and it's hard to care about them when they're suddenly 20 years older or end up dying. And despite the film being filled with exposition, it almost feels as if there isn't enough of it because the film tries to tackle way too much shit in its timespan.

Overall, it was just... eh. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't great.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
It was much too long, it couldn't pick a genre, and too many of its plot devices were completely contrived.

So love is a dimension or whatever, and also some aliens that are actually us from the future are going to drag you across the universe into a black hole to transcend the boundaries of space and time but only in this one room and you can't really do anything but push some books around.

e: There actually were a lot of things I liked about this film; I just wish it had either been a more interesting drama or a more interesting sci-fi flick.  If it had been mostly a character drama that culminated in his black hole journey (a la Contact), that could have been great.  Likewise, it could have been a great pure sci-fi movie, going to more planets, maybe throwing in a robot fight or two.

And I think everyone who saw it would agree that TARS was the highlight of the film.
Er, not just that one room, he could have gone anywhere from they're, but what he wanted to do was in there
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 09:39:30 PM »
Welp, I finally got around to seeing it. I agree with the RLM guys, and the Rottentomatoes score. It's a good film, but not a great one and certainly not Nolan's best. What dragged it down for me was the heavy handed dialogue and issues with the plot. I didn't appreciate the "love transcends space" nonsense, it came across as very corny and out of place in a movie that had established itself as being critical of silly concepts and quite grounded. The pro-exploration stuff also began to grind on me, I realise Nolan wants to really push this message but I feel he was too blunt in doing so.

Then there's the issues with the plot. Time travel always fucks up media that uses it, and Interstellar is no exception. It doesn't make sense that humanity evolved to where they are when Earth was destined to die, so how could they have saved us? Time is portrayed as something set in stone unless you mess with it (as seen in the Tesseract), so it should be safe to assume that the future humans had to go through the same stuff we did.

Black Holes do not work the way they do in the movie. No one knows what is beyond the Event Horizon, but it's probably not a Tesseract that happens to manifest all of your specific memories and allows you to change them, before dumping you in the future next to Saturn. Another issue was the constant cutting from Cooper to Murph during suspenseful moments. It felt contrived trying to create drama with the doctor and lung crap on Earth when Cooper is trying to save humanity. I felt Matt Damon was a bit of a distraction in an already long movie, but I didn't dislike the addition of that sub plot.

That said, it did have great imagery and some cool directing choices. It certainly wasn't a bad movie, but I think Nolan could have done a lot better than he did.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
Welp, I finally got around to seeing it. I agree with the RLM guys, and the Rottentomatoes score. It's a good film, but not a great one and certainly not Nolan's best. What dragged it down for me was the heavy handed dialogue and issues with the plot. I didn't appreciate the "love transcends space" nonsense, it came across as very corny and out of place in a movie that had established itself as being critical of silly concepts and quite grounded. The pro-exploration stuff also began to grind on me, I realise Nolan wants to really push this message but I feel he was too blunt in doing so.

Then there's the issues with the plot. Time travel always fucks up media that uses it, and Interstellar is no exception. It doesn't make sense that humanity evolved to where they are when Earth was destined to die, so how could they have saved us? Time is portrayed as something set in stone unless you mess with it (as seen in the Tesseract), so it should be safe to assume that the future humans had to go through the same stuff we did.

Black Holes do not work the way they do in the movie. No one knows what is beyond the Event Horizon, but it's probably not a Tesseract that happens to manifest all of your specific memories and allows you to change them, before dumping you in the future next to Saturn. Another issue was the constant cutting from Cooper to Murph during suspenseful moments. It felt contrived trying to create drama with the doctor and lung crap on Earth when Cooper is trying to save humanity. I felt Matt Damon was a bit of a distraction in an already long movie, but I didn't dislike the addition of that sub plot.

That said, it did have great imagery and some cool directing choices. It certainly wasn't a bad movie, but I think Nolan could have done a lot better than he did.

Cool story bro.

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 09:52:10 PM »

Cool story bro.

Compelling contribution, comrade.