Offline SimonC

• View Profile
Re: Question about EA wiki page leading to a fundamental question
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 01:29:49 PM »
The concept of a FE did very well for about 25,000 years until people realized it was no working too well.  About 2,500 years ago they left it behind along with the kind of thinking that nurtures it and developed such things as reason and science.  Those got us much further and faster such that now we can freely disseminate strange old ideas over a global network using devices that would not be 'real' according to zeteticisim.

There is no FET.  The 'T' is supposed to refer to "theory".  In science, theory requires much more than just conjecture.  What the modern FE movement has is a lot of conjecture of which a small amount could possibly, with some stretch of the imagination, be considered hypothesis.  Not theory though.  Theory requires a mathematical model that is repeatable and falsifiable and it requires both positive peer review and experimental confirmation.  By that measure you will find no theory here.

I would love to go into the issues with the EA wiki but when I have in the past I was sanctioned.

Hi - you mention above that theory requires a mathematical model that is repeatable and falsifiable. If something is not falsifiable (i.e. cannot be proved wrong) does that mean it is therefore 'true/accepted'? And if so does that mean a theory is not accepted if it can be proved wrong?

SteelyBob

Re: Question about EA wiki page leading to a fundamental question
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 02:14:05 PM »

Hi - you mention above that theory requires a mathematical model that is repeatable and falsifiable. If something is not falsifiable (i.e. cannot be proved wrong) does that mean it is therefore 'true/accepted'? And if so does that mean a theory is not accepted if it can be proved wrong?

Falsifiability is a necessary component part of a valid theory. If your theory cannot be falsified, then it can’t be a theory. The same applies to a hypothesis - if it isn’t falsifiable, then it isn’t a valid hypothesis.

Is something has been falsified, then it has been proven to be false.

In fairness, most of what is proposed in FET is absolutely falsifiable. The problem is that FET proponents seem to have a blind spot for things that might falsify their theory.