Offline Casper

• View Profile
Re: What is beyond the ice wall?
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »
My mind is blown. Is this whole forum a joke that has gone too far?  ???

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »
I actually understand how your mind is blown. It makes perfect sense. The idea that the Earth is flat is a little unusual to say the least. I of course believe in a round Earth. But I will tell you for certain this forum is real, it is not a joke, and people do believe the Earth is flat. There is also another forum that holds the same belief. I am a member of both. Do not think for one moment that this forum is a joke. They are dead serious about this. I think that is what makes it so interesting. That is why I am a member. The fact that people actually believe this completely blows my mind as well. But, what can you do? It is what it is.

Offline Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »
I actually understand how your mind is blown. It makes perfect sense. The idea that the Earth is flat is a little unusual to say the least. I of course believe in a round Earth. But I will tell you for certain this forum is real, it is not a joke, and people do believe the Earth is flat. There is also another forum that holds the same belief. I am a member of both. Do not think for one moment that this forum is a joke. They are dead serious about this. I think that is what makes it so interesting. That is why I am a member. The fact that people actually believe this completely blows my mind as well. But, what can you do? It is what it is.

I get that. I just find it so crazy. I googled it as a joke but can't believe how serious they are.

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2018, 03:42:12 PM »

I get that. I just find it so crazy. I googled it as a joke but can't believe how serious they are.
I find it interesting on a sociological level. I am a member of both forums in order to understand the sociological aspect of human interaction. The fact that they believe in a flat Earth does not change the fact that they are people and that they sociologically interact with other people. I find human interaction to be fascinating. And so watching people argue and debate things regardless of what they may be really makes me interested. I simply observe, and put in comments where it appears necessary. I have enjoyed my time on both forums, and other forums as well.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 04:25:53 PM by Jacques007 »

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »
It's not teleportation. It's like an omnidirectional treadmill. My model is based on real life measurements, navigation, observations and experiences.

How do your real life measurements, navigation, observations and experiences manifest into an 'omnidirectional treadmill'?

Here is the flat earth Model that I believe in:
http://earth3dmap.com/

That map is not accurate.  Greenland is too wide, getting more exaggerated farther north.  The same for other northern and southern elements.

Well you can't see the scale on that map. The scale of the map changes depending on how far from the equator you go. When google maps had a 2d version of their map it was like this and, when you zoomed in on greenland, the scale changed.

Offline MCToon

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »
It's not teleportation. It's like an omnidirectional treadmill. My model is based on real life measurements, navigation, observations and experiences.

How do your real life measurements, navigation, observations and experiences manifest into an 'omnidirectional treadmill'?

Here is the flat earth Model that I believe in:
http://earth3dmap.com/

That map is not accurate.  Greenland is too wide, getting more exaggerated farther north.  The same for other northern and southern elements.

Well you can't see the scale on that map. The scale of the map changes depending on how far from the equator you go. When google maps had a 2d version of their map it was like this and, when you zoomed in on greenland, the scale changed.

I agree, and that is the problem.  A flat map of the flat earth will not suffer from these types of distortions.  Similarly, a spherical map of a spherical earth will not suffer from these types of distortions.

This map is not an accurate map of the flat earth.
I love this site, it's a fantastic collection of evidence of a spherical earth:
Flight times
Full moon
Horizon eye level drops
Sinking ship effect

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »

It could be made into 100% accurate map of the flat infinite repeating plane model if it had a sliding scale based on distance from the equator.
I used a flat earth map with a scale which changes based on distance from the equator because it showed a general concept of an infinite repeating plane and also aligned with traditional directions.

This flat earth map is more accurate but it's not aligned with traditional directions and does not accurately depict the infinite repeating plane.

Offline MCToon

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2018, 06:25:39 PM »

It could be made into 100% accurate map of the flat infinite repeating plane model if it had a sliding scale based on distance from the equator.

That would not make it an accurate flat map of the flat earth.  An accurate flat map of the flat earth requires a consistent scale, otherwise it is distorted.

I used a flat earth map with a scale which changes based on distance from the equator because it showed a general concept of an infinite repeating plane and also aligned with traditional directions.

This flat earth map is more accurate but it's not aligned with traditional directions and does not accurately depict the infinite repeating plane.

That's doesn't reflect reality either.  If you go straight south from Australia or Africa in reality you arrive at Antarctica*.  A flat map of the flat earth must reflect reality.

A flat map of a spherical object is predictably distorted.  If the earth is flat, a flat map is easy and it is trivially not-distorted.  Distortions show it's not accurate.

* No, I will not be presenting documentation of this claim.
Flight times
Full moon
Horizon eye level drops
Sinking ship effect

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »

To add on to the map presented on earth3dmap.com, you will find the sam distance problems as in the flights between Sydney and Santiago and LA and Sydney.  These will be more difficult to find as there are not many flights between Etah
Greenland and Komsomolets Island in Russia so fewer people to corroborate the distance.  However, I'll give an example of how the scale doesn't work.

Etah Greenland is very closely directly north of Boston, MA.  Boston, is about 42 degrees north.
Komsomolets Island is very closely directly north of Hami Xinjiang, China.  Hami is about 42.5 degrees north. 

Etah Greenland: 78°18′50″N 72°36′35″W
Komsomolets Island: 80°29′03″N 94°59′47″E

Boston, MA: 42°21′29″N 71°03′49″W
Hami Xinjiang, China: 42°50′19″N 93°30′15″E

We have two pairs of locations that are approximately the same distance apart on the map displayed on earth3dmap.com

Google maps gives a distance from Etah Greenland to Komsomolets Island of about 1,472 miles great circle, 2,076 miles when I manually add points to mostly follow the lattitude.
Google maps gives a distance from Boston to Hami of about 6,471 miles great circle route, 8,500 miles miles when I manually add points to mostly follow the lattitude.

The map on earth3dmap.com gives a greatly distorted map the farther north and south you go.  It's just a projection of a globe onto a flat map, this does not this reflect reality.

Just because the scale of the map changes the further away from the equator you go does not make the map any less accurate or viable. Sorry that concept map is not as interactive as it should be. When google maps had an infinite repeating plane model the distances did work even when traveling around the north/south pole.

Here is another one that has a scale showing the scale when you zoom in on the north.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1/85/-26

Offline MCToon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »

To add on to the map presented on earth3dmap.com, you will find the sam distance problems as in the flights between Sydney and Santiago and LA and Sydney.  These will be more difficult to find as there are not many flights between Etah
Greenland and Komsomolets Island in Russia so fewer people to corroborate the distance.  However, I'll give an example of how the scale doesn't work.

Etah Greenland is very closely directly north of Boston, MA.  Boston, is about 42 degrees north.
Komsomolets Island is very closely directly north of Hami Xinjiang, China.  Hami is about 42.5 degrees north. 

Etah Greenland: 78°18′50″N 72°36′35″W
Komsomolets Island: 80°29′03″N 94°59′47″E

Boston, MA: 42°21′29″N 71°03′49″W
Hami Xinjiang, China: 42°50′19″N 93°30′15″E

We have two pairs of locations that are approximately the same distance apart on the map displayed on earth3dmap.com

Google maps gives a distance from Etah Greenland to Komsomolets Island of about 1,472 miles great circle, 2,076 miles when I manually add points to mostly follow the lattitude.
Google maps gives a distance from Boston to Hami of about 6,471 miles great circle route, 8,500 miles miles when I manually add points to mostly follow the lattitude.

The map on earth3dmap.com gives a greatly distorted map the farther north and south you go.  It's just a projection of a globe onto a flat map, this does not this reflect reality.

Just because the scale of the map changes the further away from the equator you go does not make the map any less accurate or viable.

In fact, it does.  This is distortion.  The scale must be consistent otherwise it doesn't suggest a flat plane.

A flat map of a flat surface must have a consistent scale for all points at the same time.

Flight times
Full moon
Horizon eye level drops
Sinking ship effect

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2018, 06:51:18 PM »

In fact, it does.  This is distortion.  The scale must be consistent otherwise it doesn't suggest a flat plane.

A flat map of a flat surface must have a consistent scale for all points at the same time.

1. Interactive maps can have scales that change based on user interaction without being distorted (see my example).
2. Maps of earth have been made with distortion away from the equator so the map can be North and the map can align with cardinal directions. This has been the case for hundreds of years. These maps are better for navigation.
3. Maps which are free of this distortion don't adhere to traditional cardinal directions as shown before so they are better for showing the sizes of countries and worse for navigation.

According to these link Florida is the flattest state in America.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140314-flattest-states-geography-topography-science/
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/03/science-several-us-states-led-by-florida-are-flatter-than-a-pancake/284348/

Now click this link and try zooming in. What happens to the scale? It changes.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=7/28.748/-80.892

By your logic the fact that the scale changes means that Florida is either distorted or not flat.

I have been to Florida and driven around Florida. Based on my observations this map of Florida is not distorted. I also have no reason to believe that these "Florida is flat" articles that i'm reading online are fake or lies.

So here you have a flat map of a flat surface and the scale can change based on user interaction.

That's doesn't reflect reality either.  If you go straight south from Australia or Africa in reality you arrive at Antarctica*.  A flat map of the flat earth must reflect reality.

A flat map of a spherical object is predictably distorted.  If the earth is flat, a flat map is easy and it is trivially not-distorted.  Distortions show it's not accurate.

The directions are not marked on that map. You should be able to see that very clearly. That map does not adhere to the traditional "cardinal directions" map layout.

Now this is getting down to  to nit picking and ad infinitum. By this logic I can make a claim that there is no accurate map of a sphere earth.

You can say the current version of google maps where you zoom out and see a sphere is accurate and I can make the same claim that you just have "because the directions are not marked on the map it is inaccurate".
or this map
https://www.echalk.co.uk/Science/physics/solarSystem/InteractiveEarth/interactiveEarth.html

I could provide you a map free of distortion with the directions marked on the map and you will say south is not the bottom of the map therefore it's inaccurate. Or south is a different direction for different places therefore the map is inaccurate. Even though South could be defined and the straight line path one must travel from any point on earth to reach the south pole so on that map it's perfectly feasible to have south point different directions for different locations.

I can provide a map which aligns with the cardinal directions and then, because the scale changes based on distance from the equator it's inaccurate.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:22:49 PM by iamcpc »

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
What is beyond the ice wall?

Because we have no evidence from beyond the ice wall (we have no evidence OF the ice wall,) what a person believes is really a reflection of them. It's like a Rorschach ink blot test. Some people see a dome, some see U.N Troops, some see were-penguins. It could be a psychoanalytical tool.

Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
we have no evidence OF the ice wall
No evidence of Antarctica? ??? That sounds a bit bizarre, even for a Round Earther...
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »
No evidence of Antarctica? ??? That sounds a bit bizarre, even for a Round Earther...

In the round earth model Antarctica is continent not a large wall going around the perimeter of the earth.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »

I apologize I wasn't clearer. As iamcpc posted, I meant to say no evidence to suggest that Antarctica is a ring of ice instead of a continent.

I am bizarre as round earthers go but for different reasons.

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2018, 07:12:56 AM »
Well, I believe, NOTHING is beyond the ice wall. We are a miniscule species that is alone in the vast nothingness that surrounds us. How our plane came to be and where it will go once time runs out, no one knows. One thing is sure, however: THere was NEVER a big bang, and whatever the Globe-Earth scientist idiots propose, is completely false. There is nothing smaller than what is visible with the naked eye, there is thing such as subatomary particles, there is no thing such as any illusionary "higgs Boson", there is thing such as "black holes". The only black hole I see is inside the globe earthers' heads.

It's a miracle, so why do we need to search what is beyond the ice wall? Why do we need to know? The only intelligent statement given by a round earther was a quote from Richard Dawkins, who said: "Isn't it a noble and enlighting way to spend our brief time in the sun?" We should just enjoy it, before it's to late. Stop searching for a truth, when the truth is right before your eyes. Accept the mirace of life, and stop looking for anything beyond this miracle.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2018, 09:43:17 PM »
Well, I believe, NOTHING is beyond the ice wall. We are a miniscule species that is alone in the vast nothingness that surrounds us. How our plane came to be and where it will go once time runs out, no one knows. One thing is sure, however: THere was NEVER a big bang, and whatever the Globe-Earth scientist idiots propose, is completely false. There is nothing smaller than what is visible with the naked eye, there is thing such as subatomary particles, there is no thing such as any illusionary "higgs Boson", there is thing such as "black holes". The only black hole I see is inside the globe earthers' heads.

It's a miracle, so why do we need to search what is beyond the ice wall? Why do we need to know? The only intelligent statement given by a round earther was a quote from Richard Dawkins, who said: "Isn't it a noble and enlighting way to spend our brief time in the sun?" We should just enjoy it, before it's to late. Stop searching for a truth, when the truth is right before your eyes. Accept the mirace of life, and stop looking for anything beyond this miracle.

You are such a cheerful poster.  You seem so sure of your beliefs.  Have you ever looked into a microscope?  Or a spelling book?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline MCToon

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »

I do appreciate your position and certainty.  However, to be clear, for most of what you have said, these are beliefs, or dogma.  This is not to say that these are true or untrue, just that they are based on beliefs.

To pull out a couple:
"How our [place of existence] came to be and where it will go once time runs out, no one knows."
I agree, nobody knows for sure, there are many theories, but not certain.

"THere was NEVER a big bang..."
This is a statement of faith.

"There is nothing smaller than what is visible with the naked eye..."
This is a statement of faith.  However, there is massive evidence that contradicts this dogma.

"It's a miracle..."
I completely agree.  We both take this on faith.

"We should just enjoy it..."
Yes.

"Accept the mirace[sic] of life..."
I completely agree.  We both take this on faith.

"...and stop looking for anything beyond this miracle."
There are many of us humans that are curious, going to keep looking.

Flight times
Full moon
Horizon eye level drops
Sinking ship effect

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »

Willful ignorance is a choice anyone is free to make and I support your free choice. But before you start calling people idiots you need to remember that it's only because someone explored things not visible to the naked eye that you have a computer to post your uniformed name calling on the internet. Only because people studied electrons, you have a place to post your unsubstantiated speculations.

Science is always great when it produces the latest gaming console or microwavable Hot Pockets. But when it produces something people don't want to hear then they choose not to believe.