Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: You can go to jail for trolling!
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 11:10:29 PM »
I just wanted to make fun of the UK because Thork lives there. And also because it's a silly and whimsical place.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 11:28:51 PM »
I just wanted to make fun of the UK because Thork lives there. And also because it's a silly and whimsical place.
I'm sorry, was that a threat? Looks very much like a terrorist threat to me, brb 911 never forget
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »
Tormenting teenagers for years and demanding that they cough up half a million bucks if they'd like to stop being oppressed is a hilariously good example of this, hence my use of rainbow colours.

On the plus side, in America you typically only need 10% of your bail amount to get a bail bond and get out of jail. It is basically Saudi Arabia here in terms of wealth so teens can regularly come up with 50 grand on their own. Not that I have any experience with it or anything.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 01:12:47 AM »
It's not irrelevant at all. I'm pointing out that America de facto fucks up innocent trolls much harder than the United Kingdom. Tormenting teenagers for years and demanding that they cough up half a million bucks if they'd like to stop being oppressed is a hilariously good example of this, hence my use of rainbow colours.

He wasn't a troll, so it isn't relevant how fucked up he gets. PP brought up that trolls get punished in the UK, and you bring up a straw man that violent threats get punished in the US.

Agreed. Unfortunately, as was already pointed out to you, this is irrelevant, because he wasn't "straight up threatening people".

He was, though. When it comes to threats there is no "I was just joking lulz" under US (or any other country's) laws. Feel free to go on Twitter and talk about jokingly killing a VIP such as the US president or UK PM (or even an entire school). I'm sure it will go over well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:20:10 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 01:20:03 AM »
Sorry rush,
You have matched several words in their dictionary. You are now on the watch list.
God is real.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 01:21:49 AM »
Sorry rush,
You have matched several words in their dictionary. You are now on the watch list.

I work for the federal government, hoppy. The government pays my salary, assigns me where I live, and even sets what my career field is. I would be disappointed if I was not on any sort of "keep all the shit he says" list before that post.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 02:35:55 AM »
Feel free to go on Twitter and talk about jokingly killing a VIP such as the US president or UK PM (or even an entire school). I'm sure it will go over well.
Hey, guys, I'm totally gonna blow up a mosque tomorrow. Please note: the former statement is false and I have no intention of blowing up mosques.

Rushy, things like that get said all the time here, as well as in the US. Normally, nobody cares because it's not an actual threat. If they did care, I'd be rotting in jail for all the things I said on 4chan.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:39:11 AM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 02:39:08 AM »
Feel free to go on Twitter and talk about jokingly killing a VIP such as the US president or UK PM (or even an entire school). I'm sure it will go over well.
Hey, guys, I'm totally gonna blow up a mosque tomorrow. Please note: the former statement is false.

Rushy, things like that get said all the time here, and in the US. Nobody cares because it's not an actual threat. If they did care, I'd be rotting in jail for all the things I said on 4chan.

Except that there is big difference between saying some shit here or 4chan (where you get banned now, anyway!) and saying some shit on an extremely popular social website (Twitter) or an extremely popular game (LoL). The more attention you're likely to receive, then the more "we aren't going to tolerate this" other people are going to respond with.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 02:42:33 AM »
4chan (where you get banned now, anyway!)
Irrelevant - getting banned is not going to jail.

an extremely popular social website (Twitter) or an extremely popular game (LoL)
Yes, I'm sure saying something to an audience of four people (nine if it was in /all chat) is srs business.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 02:46:36 AM »
Irrelevant - getting banned is not going to jail.

Going to jail is like, getting banned from life, man.

Yes, I'm sure saying something to an audience of four people (nine if it was in /all chat) is srs business.

It is serious business because it is a business hosting the chat. Business tends to be the most serious business of all.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 04:22:00 AM »
In America you don't go to prison for being rude. That's completely ridiculous. If we send someone to prison for making stupid terroristic threats, that just means we have idiots in our justice system. It's not that big a deal, to be honest. But jailing someone for being rude is a bit orwellian, don't you think?
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
It is serious business because it is a business hosting the chat. Business tends to be the most serious business of all.
This website is also hosted by a business. Also, given that the business was completely uninvolved in the case, I'm not quite sure why you'd even try to make this point in the first place.

In America you don't go to prison for being rude. That's completely ridiculous. If we send someone to prison for making stupid terroristic threats, that just means we have idiots in our justice system. It's not that big a deal, to be honest. But jailing someone for being rude is a bit orwellian, don't you think?
I'm still firmly convinced that the difference is entirely superficial. You can present either of these cases as "technically bad but not actually bad" - you've been focusing on portraying the Texas kid as "making stupid terroristic threats" (despite the fact that he did no such thing). Meanwhile, the British media focused on portraying the other cases as inciting racial hatred.

Both can sound serious at a glance (although I admit that the social effect of falsely calling someone a trrrrrrist is probably greater than that of falsely claiming that someone's inciting racial hatred, especially in post-Bush America), and both can be reasonably described as "being rude".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:49:25 AM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
This website is also hosted by a business. Also, given that the business was completely uninvolved in the case, I'm not quite sure why you'd even try to make this point in the first place.

The website host business is only relevant in the UK trolling cases, in which case it is obvious at some point they do care. The US threat was not made on a website, therefore the comparison to a website is irrelephant.

I'm still firmly convinced that the difference is entirely superficial. You can present either of these cases as "technically bad but not actually bad" - you've been focusing on portraying the Texas kid as "making stupid terroristic threats" (despite the fact that he did no such thing). Meanwhile, the British media focused on portraying the other cases as inciting racial hatred.

Both can sound serious at a glance (although I admit that the social effect of falsely calling someone a trrrrrrist is probably greater than that of falsely claiming that someone's inciting racial hatred, especially in post-Bush America), and both can be reasonably described as "being rude".

The difference between the two statements is the same as making fun of the president vs threatening to go through the white house and murder everyone. I highly doubt anyone other than yourself would describe the latter statement as simply "being rude." I mean, it certainly is a rude thing to say, but I would find it incredibly odd if a person's first thoughts about a massacre is "well that was an awfully rude thing to do!"

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
I highly doubt anyone other than yourself would describe the latter statement as simply "being rude." I mean, it certainly is a rude thing to say, but I would find it incredibly odd if a person's first thoughts about a massacre is "well that was an awfully rude thing to do!"

That actually sounds like a very English thought.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »
I think the conclusion to be drawn here is that the English don't understand freedom. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
I think the conclusion to be drawn here is that the English don't understand freedom. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

It is the USA's unfortunate duty to have to bring freedom and civilization to the rest of the world.

That actually sounds like a very English thought.

An odd group of people if there ever was one.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:27:39 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »
I mean, it certainly is a rude thing to say, but I would find it incredibly odd if a person's first thoughts about a massacre is "well that was an awfully rude thing to do!"
>trying to equate insensitive jokes about massacres to actual massacres
>expects a response

You do realise I'm much more experienced at this whole "trolling" business than you are, right?

It's just that we don't yet have the cahnstitutional right to go to jail for nothing. Give us time, with the Tories in power we'll get there eventually.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:34:43 PM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
trying to equate insensitive jokes about massacres to actual massacres
>expects a response

You do realise I'm much more experienced at this whole "trolling" business than you are, right?

Who said anything about actual massacres? If you're going to follow up with petty trolling remarks, you could at least improve your own reading comprehension before doing so.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
I mean, it certainly is a rude thing to say, but I would find it incredibly odd if a person's first thoughts about a massacre is "well that was an awfully rude thing to do!"
>trying to equate insensitive jokes about massacres to actual massacres
>expects a response

Explicitly threatening the life of a bunch of elementary schoolers is not an insensitive joke. An insensitive joke would be along the lines of 'lol sandy hook'. Saying 'I'm going to kill somebody' isn't a joke. It's a threat. If you say it as a joke and don't expect it to be taken as a threat, you aren't a misunderstood troll. You're just an idiot.

Ghost of V

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »
I'm going to kill somebody.