Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Headsets
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 06:09:57 AM »
Surely they're going to sell a shit-ton of units with this price tag.
The Mastery.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 06:16:27 AM »
I''m going to get one because I'm not a poorfag.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 06:18:44 AM »
>buying Facebook-owned shit.
The Mastery.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 07:20:23 AM »
Surely they're going to sell a shit-ton of units with this price tag.

Works for apple.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 11:10:47 AM »
With taxes, that's about £620-£650 for a toy which will have three games for it before it's dumped by developers.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 02:32:49 AM »
Some interesting applications are being shown off at CES for VR: https://www.envelopvr.com/solutions

Here's some interesting gameplay from the folks that made Fantastic Contraption. They're making a new one built entirely for VR (more specifically, for the Vive): http://www.twitch.tv/colinnorthway/v/34121601

Chet Faliszek from Valve talking about the new features on the Vive:

The Vive's new software/hardware suite allows it to "mix" AR/VR applications. This is huge because anyone using the headset won't necessarily have to take it off in order to interact with their surroundings. It will have passthrough and Chaperone fuctions, the previous of which will show pretty much the exact world around the user and the latter will show outlines of physical objects projected into the game world. This is to make sure you don't start running into things while inside the game. Apparently the current Vive developer hardware isn't capable of the full Chaperone system abilities. The finalized consumer version will have a better camera system.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »
Some interesting applications are being shown off at CES for VR: https://www.envelopvr.com/solutions

Here's some interesting gameplay from the folks that made Fantastic Contraption. They're making a new one built entirely for VR (more specifically, for the Vive): http://www.twitch.tv/colinnorthway/v/34121601

Chet Faliszek from Valve talking about the new features on the Vive:

The Vive's new software/hardware suite allows it to "mix" AR/VR applications. This is huge because anyone using the headset won't necessarily have to take it off in order to interact with their surroundings. It will have passthrough and Chaperone fuctions, the previous of which will show pretty much the exact world around the user and the latter will show outlines of physical objects projected into the game world. This is to make sure you don't start running into things while inside the game. Apparently the current Vive developer hardware isn't capable of the full Chaperone system abilities. The finalized consumer version will have a better camera system.

That's actually pretty smart.  You don't have to leave the headset to find a dropped controller or to answer a phone.

Also:
www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/naughty-america-invites-you-to-experience-a-virtual-threesome-during-comic-con-300108755.html

I know, 7 months late.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 08:43:07 PM »
Here's another interesting look at some VR applications that don't necessarily involve videogames:

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 03:35:52 AM »
Version 2.0 will be out in a year or two at half the price with a lot of bugs worked out.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 10:11:08 PM »
Just pre-ordered the Vive shipping date set in April. Hype!

Three games are bundled with it: Fantastic Contraption, Job Simulator 2050 and Tiltbrush. (I also already own Elite, which works with the Vive)

These are the total games (most are just 'experiences') for the Vive so far: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?#sort_by=_ASC&vrsupport=101&page=1

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
I look forward to your review, which will help determine if I buy one.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 10:39:07 PM »
I honestly don't think I'll be positive about it. Unless it's absolutely mind blowing I'll probably advise not to spend the money. All of this hype has set my expectation super high and I'll be disappointed if this ends up being just a monitor strapped to my face.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 10:51:56 PM »
Trust in Lord Gaben
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 05:57:24 PM »
Some pretty neat new concepts for the controllers. The most amazing thing about all this is all of the genuinely new ways to play the game.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »
that guy needs to learn how to sound volume.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
After some deep thought I have decided to cancel my HTC Vive purchase. I had extraordinary trouble justifying the price to myself and ended up recognizing that I currently need the $900 much more than I need the headset. It's a sad day and I still believe in VR, but VR will have to wait.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016, 12:52:09 AM »
Due to the resolution and framerate requirements, the technology required to run a VR headset wirelessly does not exist. Fortunately for us, MSi thinks it has a solution:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/msi-vr-one-backpack-pc-details-specs/

Just wear the entire computer on your back, cords are no longer a problem!

http://vr.msi.com/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:54:39 AM by Rushy »