Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
Jupiter - rotation?
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
Hi friends,

I had the privilege last fall of looking at Jupiter and its moons (along with other stars and planets) in a high powered telescope.  I was a Globe Earther at the time, ignorant of any wondrous happenings of Flat Earthers. Recently, I've become convinced of Flat Earth. I have no doubt about it. None of the globe earth arguments stick with me at all.

I do have a question regarding Jupiter's rotation as a means of potentially verifying some present "scientific" bullshit info.
According to: http://www.universetoday.com/23914/rotation-of-jupiter/
Jupiter  has the fastest rotation of any of the planets. It takes 9.9 hours to make one full rotation.

Ok, so this is what I wasn't even thinking of looking for when I gazed through the telescope.
I could see the red Storm eye of Jupiter, and I must have been looking at it for around 15 minutes.
Here's my question -
A full rotation of the huge planet in 10 hours would make it easy to look for surface rotation in the telescope.
One could look for the red storm eye of Jupiter, mark the time and the position of the storm eye, and then wait
1.25 hours and expect to see 45 degrees of rotation, or in 2.5 hours, one could see 90 degrees of rotation of Jupiter.

However, when one sees images of Jupiter, one most often (almost always) sees the red storm eye of Jupiter front facing toward the camera. So, this could be because the photographers are so storm-of-Jupiter happy that they couldn't fathom NOT taking a picture of Jupiter with the storm front facing, or...
Jupiter is, in fact, NOT rotating at all.

So, has anyone every witnessed Jupiter's storm movement over time? It wouldn't take long to verify a 45 degree change (only takes 1.25 hours) and 2.5 hours to see a 90 degree change from the "9.9 rotation."

I've asked my friends with the telescope to check this problem out, but they won't be home for 1.5 months and I can't wait to hear an answer to this.

Whether flat or globe, the same important facts apply to Earth: God is One. God is Love. God is Good.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Jupiter - rotation?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:06:41 PM »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:02:02 PM »
Thanks for posting that Markjo.

To be honest, that looks very fake.
where are the moons of Jupiter? Where are the stars in the background?

When I looked at Jupiter in the telescope, its plane was angled at about 45 degree clockwise, like the image seen on this page in 2009.
http://maphilli14.webs.com/jupiter

Someone has miraculously taken images of Jupiter on the same plane and angle of rotation with Earth, removed all the moons orbiting Jupiter, and photoshopped all stars out of the video?

Whether flat or globe, the same important facts apply to Earth: God is One. God is Love. God is Good.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »
Thanks for posting that Markjo.

To be honest, that looks very fake.
where are the moons of Jupiter? Where are the stars in the background?
First of all, if you think it's fake, then I'm sure that there are other similar videos on YouTube that you could look up.

Secondly, stars rarely, if ever, show up in pictures of planets because planets appear so much brighter than stars.

As for Jupiter's moons...  Since I didn't make that video, I can only speculate.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 04:57:47 AM »
It is a matter of exposure.

If you expose for bright objects, dim objects do not show up.
If you expose for dim objects, bright objects are over exposed and would show up as a bright blob.

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »
Thanks Markjo and Geckothegeek,

Ok. That's informative and makes sense that when zoomed in on a bright planet, the distant, less bright stars fall away.

No moons though?

Some of the moons orbit Jupiter in the opposite direction of its spin, so it'd be highly likely to see a moon orbiting.
Also, some of the moons (the Galilean moons) are massive, their orbit times around Jupiter are even shorter than jupiter's own rotation on its own axis. Jupiter's rotation on it's own axis is around 9.9 hours. At least one of the larger moons of Jupiter's orbit time is 7 hours (in the opposite direction). That should be visible on an accelerated exposure of Jupiter making 2 rotations.

No?

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 02:27:56 AM »
The sequence was taken over 5 nights, so it's not really continuous. 

He has another video with a short sequence of one moon passing in front, and another passing behind while the planet rotates.

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 02:59:39 AM »
The sequence was taken over 5 nights, so it's not really continuous. 
He has another video with a short sequence of one moon passing in front, and another passing behind while the planet rotates.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Which date on his website, or link to said video with moons passing in front?

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 01:01:47 AM »
Search for Jupiter animation with Io and Ganymede on youtube.  It's a short clip that just runs back and forth.

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 04:13:10 AM »
Thanks for that video. that's a good one with the moons coming out in front.
It still looks fake to me.

For one thing, the moon on the left begins to cast a shadow on Jupiter before the moon crosses in front. So a few degree off to the left, indicating that the sun's position is also off to the left.
So if that is the case, how is it that the entire face of Jupiter is equally lit and there is not more shadow on the right side of Jupiter, as can be seen by the moon on the left?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:22:36 AM »
Why does the vid say animation at the top left, then the guys says he ws out in the cold filming. FAKE.
God is real.

Offline mister bickles

• while there's life, there's hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »
it doesn't "rotate" because: (a) its not a planet and (b) "planets" (as commonly mis-understood) don't exist any-way......

if you want to know what "planets and stars" really are....read the Book of Enoch;
its all described in there.....with considerable detail;
and....it all dove-tails perfectly with the canonical Scripture;

and....don't forget to start with the following premises....
i/every-thing you know is wrong!
and
ii/every-thing you've been told is a pack of lies!  :(
nisi Dominus frustra

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »
Why does the vid say animation at the top left, then the guys says he ws out in the cold filming. FAKE.
Because he was filming single images over the course of several nights and then later combined those still images into an animated video.  Have you ever heard of stop-motion animation?