Sunset seems impossible in flat earth model
« on: March 03, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »

This diagram is a cross section of the flat earth model. Each grid square is 1000 miles. The sun is 3000 miles above the equator on the left side and the right side, where it would be at noon 12 hours apart. The longest vertical line in the middle is the north pole.

Here is the problem: the sun would never dip below an 18.43-degree angle on the horizon for an observer at 45-degrees lattitude.

If there was enough atmospheric distortion to somehow make the sun look like it went below the horizon, that same distortion would make the stars also look distorted because the light would have to pass through the same air. But the stars don’t look distorted.

I just cannot see how a flat earth model is believable considering that, in real life, we can clearly see that the sun sets. It goes down all the way over the horizon.

I do think there are a lot of ways in which the government is pulling the wool over our eyes, like claiming nuclear power is clean and safe while the nuclear waste keeps piling up in aging temporary storage facilities... just waiting for an accident to happen. Or how they covered up what really happened on 9/11 etc.

But guys. How can you seriously believe in the flat earth, when like, it does not even hold up to the most basic scrutiny? The primary claims of flat earth theory keep getting disproven (like the claim that commercial flights don’t cross directy between distant places like Bueonos Aires and Auckland... when in fact, they do).

I also just watched a bunch of documentaries on Antarctica. It’s just a bunch of science nerds down there looking at microbes,  oenguins, and soil cores. They’ve found fossilized leaves that are millions of years old, supporting the continental drift hypothesis. It’s easy to see where Antarctica used to connect with South America and Australia before the continents broke apart.

There are many other ways that we are being lied to but I think it’s time to give up on flat Earth. Even the “hollow earth” hypothesis is much more plausible.

As a Christian I don’t see why the “firmament” can’t refer to the rest of the universe. There is a lot of symbolic language in the Bible. To me it is a lot more wonderous that God created a huge universe with billions of planets to potentially explore, than the notion that this is some kind of Truman Show. At that point why not just say the whole thing is a simulation, like the Matrix?

Of course if someone can convince me how the sun could set while never going below 18 degrees on the horizon, and how a 777 can fly between Buenos Aires and Auckland in less than 12 hours on a flat earth, then I’d love to hear it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Sunset seems impossible in flat earth model
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:08:40 AM »
The first half of this thread is a "read the FAQ/wiki", and the second half belongs in Angry Ranting. I'll let you off without a warning, but if all you're going to do here is express your personal incredulity, please go elsewhere.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume