Offline OwG

• View Profile
Flat earth is more confusing than a round one.
« on: January 26, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
Im not going to lie, the only reason I'm here is because of that rapper B.O.B. is posting nonsense about flat earth on Twitter.  Intrigued, i looked into the "science" of this and it makes even less sense to me than a round earth model. A flat earth model violates every aspect of dynamics and physics that humans have a law for.. Maybe somebody can make sense of it for me before i enter my troll mobile..

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Flat earth is more confusing than a round one.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »
I'd suggest taking a look at the FAQ and the wiki to gain a better understanding.

Making claims like "violates every aspect of dynamics and physics..." is sensationalist. Can you provide an example?

Offline OwG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
I dunno.. gravity and angular momentum come to mind... If Flat earth models were reality..we'd all either be pinned against the edges of this supposed earth, or flung out into space at a velocity of 15,000 miles per second..

Trust round, my friend. It works.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:01:16 PM »
Given that the pseudo force known as gravity does not exist, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »
I've seen people claim that the Cavendish experiment is bunk, but I haven't seen anything solid backing that up. Could you provide a link to something that deals with this issue?

Offline OwG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »
Given that the pseudo force known as gravity does not exist, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Maybe its his noodly appendage that pulls things to the ground when we drop them..  :)

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 06:52:40 PM »

Maybe its his noodly appendage that pulls things to the ground when we drop them..  :)

Ah, I see you aren't interested in any actual discussion. Fairly typical of the RE type. However, I will ask you to familiarize yourself with the rules. Low-content posting such as your last post is not permitted in the upper fora. You make take it to the Complete Nonsense forum, however. Consider this a warning.

Offline OwG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »

Ah, I see you aren't interested in any actual discussion. Fairly typical of the RE type. However, I will ask you to familiarize yourself with the rules. Low-content posting such as your last post is not permitted in the upper fora. You make take it to the Complete Nonsense forum, however. Consider this a warning.

Hmmm.... :-\

Offline OwG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »
I've seen people claim that the Cavendish experiment is bunk, but I haven't seen anything solid backing that up. Could you provide a link to something that deals with this issue?

Id like to see that too, since that experiment has been replicated millions of times by everyone from professionals to 13yr middle school students..

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:33:59 PM »

Hmmm.... :-\

2nd warning. Please refrain from low content posting in the upper fora.

As clever as you think you are, there are dedicated fora for people (especially RErs) to rant angrily and post whatever nonsense they'd like. If you need help navigating, don't hesitate to ask.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 11:34:07 PM »
I don't think you really understand gravity if that's your best characterization of it

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 11:38:26 PM »
I don't think you really understand gravity if that's your best characterization of it

Really? Sounds reasonable for what is a massless, undetectable, hypothetical particle with attraction abilities.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 01:45:23 AM »
As you both seem to know already, the precise mechanism for how gravity works is not perfectly well-understood. And I'll freely admit that I know nothing beyond the bare-bones basics of General Relativity, which treats gravity very differently than Newtonian mechanics does. But the fact is that postulating an attractive force between massive objects, as Isaac Newton did, has immense explanatory value. And then of course, there is the Cavendish experiment, as well as the Schiehallion experiment. These were both extremely carefully-prepared experiments whose results are consistent with Newtonian gravity.

And you guys have absolutely no grounding for this criticism, as you can't adequately explain UA except by saying "it's probably dark energy or something". At least the graviton, even though it has not been observed, fits into a well-established explanatory framework that has been rigorously tested in other respects.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 01:48:19 AM »
And you guys have absolutely no grounding for this criticism, as you can't adequately explain UA except by saying "it's probably dark energy or something". At least the graviton, even though it has not been observed, fits into a well-established explanatory framework that has been rigorously tested in other respects.

Dark energy fits into a well-established framework.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 02:03:05 AM »
Yeah, the existence of dark energy. But I haven't seen even the barest attempt to make any sort of argument about why dark energy would cause UA. It's merely a scientific-sounding word masquerading as an explanation -- from the looks of it, someone sitting at their computer said, "hmm what plausible explanation might there be for UA? Dark matter? Well, they're both things we don't understand, so I can probably get away with saying this." That's a hypothesis at best, not a coherent theory.

Meanwhile, gravity is a well-tested theory, a fact that I've stated and that I've invited you to critique. You do an awfully bad job at responding to direct questions though, Junker, especially for a site administrator.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 03:44:23 AM »
The Cavendish Experiment has been shown to be flawed and has fallen into disrepute among learned circles. When we get to the sensitive scale the tools are measuring at, the other forces, such as the electro-static force, are more powerful than the force of 'gravity'. There are no controls in the experiment to rule out such important variables.

See: http://milesmathis.com/caven.html

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 03:47:09 AM »
Sorry, which learned circles?

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 04:03:53 AM »
One of the criticisms I saw on that page was that the Cavendish experiment was never performed out in the open, away from the potentially confounding effect of nearby walls. What do you think of the Schiehallion experiment then? It produced a similar result and is not subject to the same criticisms, as far as I can see.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 04:22:17 AM »
Sorry, which learned circles?

The ones I frequent.

One of the criticisms I saw on that page was that the Cavendish experiment was never performed out in the open, away from the potentially confounding effect of nearby walls. What do you think of the Schiehallion experiment then? It produced a similar result and is not subject to the same criticisms, as far as I can see.

The Schiehallion experiment is another one that comes up, and has been dissected here:

http://milesmathis.com/schie.pdf

Rama Set

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 06:22:15 AM »
Miles Mathis is a bit of a crackpot though.  He thinks that he has redefined Pi as 4.  I would take his analysis with the grain of salt.