Re: Size of the Pacific Ocean
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 08:52:37 PM »
But so is the air at the surface, give or take some wind, and so are you.  If you jump up into the air, which should meet the definition of "...not touching the Earth at all for even a second..." you have jumped into a volume of air moving at the same speed as the ground you just left, and you yourself have the same 1000 miles per hour speed as the surface you just left.

This is slightly misleading -- even if there were no air, we still wouldn't be able to jump and see the Earth rotate beneath our feet. Again, it's easiest to illustrate this by thinking of someone inside a train moving at a constant speed of say, 60 mph, going past a station at full speed. Someone at the station would see you moving past them at 60 mph. If, during this time, you decided to jump, you would see yourself go straight up and straight down, exactly where you landed. But the person in the station would see you still moving forward at 60mph as you jumped, so you would appear to trace out a parabola as you moved. From their POV, you wouldn't land in the same place you jumped from. (If the train were to suddenly stop at the station while you were in mid-jump, then you would continue moving at 60 mph relative to the ground and the train, so you might collide forcefully with one of the walls.)

The same is true for the Earth. If you establish some coordinate grid where the position of the Sun is fixed, then you when you jump you would land at a different point than where you started -- but that's only because the whole Earth has shifted along with you. If you're familiar with vectors, you can imagine, just like in the train scenario, having a velocity vector of around 1000 mph pointing tangential to the Earth's surface, to which you're adding a tiny bit of upwards velocity. The net result is that the "x-component" of your velocity vector hasn't changed, so you won't move with respect to the Earth.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
If the train were to suddenly stop at the station while you were in mid-jump, then you would continue moving at 60 mph relative to the ground and the train, so you might collide forcefully with one of the walls.)
I have played with this effect in the z axis.  I spent six years in the US Navy, four of those years on a ship at sea.  In specific sea conditions, my ship would develop a violent up-and-down motion in which the bow would rise, rise, rise as it crested a wave, them suddenly drop like a stone into the trough behind the wave.  Those of us who weren't seasick would play a game.  Just as the ship reached the top of its path, you hop lightly off the deck.  If you timed it right, while you were in the air the ship would drop away from you, and you could find yourself ten feet or more off the deck!  At this point you would grab ahold of the ladder (always pull this stunt at a ladder) and hold on for dear life so the ship doesn't smash into you on its subsequent rise.  The most fun, and challenge, was to take a running jump and if your aim was true you would sail through the open hatch some fifteen feet above and pop out on the next deck when the ship fell past you.  If your aim was NOT true the ship would smack you on the head as it fell.  (We were young and foolhardy)
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 01:44:40 AM »
If the train were to suddenly stop at the station while you were in mid-jump, then you would continue moving at 60 mph relative to the ground and the train, so you might collide forcefully with one of the walls.)
I have played with this effect in the z axis.  I spent six years in the US Navy, four of those years on a ship at sea.  In specific sea conditions, my ship would develop a violent up-and-down motion in which the bow would rise, rise, rise as it crested a wave, them suddenly drop like a stone into the trough behind the wave.  Those of us who weren't seasick would play a game.  Just as the ship reached the top of its path, you hop lightly off the deck.  If you timed it right, while you were in the air the ship would drop away from you, and you could find yourself ten feet or more off the deck!  At this point you would grab ahold of the ladder (always pull this stunt at a ladder) and hold on for dear life so the ship doesn't smash into you on its subsequent rise.  The most fun, and challenge, was to take a running jump and if your aim was true you would sail through the open hatch some fifteen feet above and pop out on the next deck when the ship fell past you.  If your aim was NOT true the ship would smack you on the head as it fell.  (We were young and foolhardy)

That sounds dumb and yet for some reason I want to do it.
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 03:19:52 AM »
Of course the Earth is a globe. I doubt that anybody here truly will refute this fact. But this site is about see things from different perspectives and challenge sciences, which is kind of interesting and entertaining. Or am I completely wrong about this?

Directly from the Flat Earth Wiki:
This site is not a joke. We are actively promoting the Flat Earth Movement worldwide. There are, admittedly, several non-serious flat earth posters, but they are fairly easy to identify.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:21:49 AM by M-Bone99 »