Offline Vadnif

• View Profile
Tide?
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
Can someone explain me how the tide is working .
Science says that the mass of the moon moves the water.
And there are periods of low tide and tide.

?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: Tide?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »

?

In Round Earth theory - gravity decreases as the distance between two objects gets larger.

The gravity of the moon pulls on the earth more strongly on the side closest to the moon and less strongly on the opposite side.  This has the effect of making water flow towards where the moon is overhead.

This explains the high tide that happens every day more or less when the moon is at it's zenith.   It takes a while for the water to actually flow to that spot - so there is typically a small delay between the actual high tide and the moon being overhead.

In Flat Earth theory - the proponents seem a little uncertain about the nature of gravity - but (perhaps) the moon still attracts water towards it - so (maybe) they could explain the high tide when the moon is overhead by similar means.

HOWEVER:  (And this is a fatal flaw in Flat Earth theory) there are actually TWO high tides each day!   One when the moon is overhead and another about 12 hours later when the moon (in Round Earth Theory) is beneath your feet.

What causes this second tide?

If the Earth is round, and the moon orbits around it then the Earth/Moon system must rotate around their mutual center of gravity (the "Barycenter").   This point about which both Earth and moon rotate is not at the center of the Earth - so our planet makes a little circular wobble:

Watch how the Earth  moves relative to the green '+' sign in the animation about a minute into the video.

What this does is to cause a SMALL amount of centrifugal force that tugs at the side of the Earth that's furthest from the Moon...and THAT force creates the second tide.

This is interesting because there is NO force in Flat Earth theory that can explain that second tide.

Check out this page - scroll down to "HIGH TIDES AND LOW TIDES" and you'll see a graph of the water depth - with two minimums and two maximums:

http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/england/southwold#_tides

I rather like this proof because anyone who lives on some open ocean beach can easily see the double tides for themselves.

In rivers, lakes and other confined areas, the results are less clear because the water is much delayed by the constrictions in flow - but the effect is very clear on open ocean beaches.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »
I would jst like to say I have been involved with the sea and ships all my life . I am now 57 years of age and sailed many oceans including Antarctica. 
I can tell you without any hesitation this beatiful planet we are lucky enough to live on is certainly a very large globe !
Anyone who has plotted a course accross an ocean particularly in the north or southern hemisphere knows that diverging lines of longitude and the distances between them decrease nearer the polls !
Yes tides are another subject that proves the globe and thankfully we can predict tines and heights of water due to the path of the sun and moon !
The number of times I have witnessed a glorious sunset at sea .. this huge fireball sinking over the horizon until disappearing and not getting smaller as some say ! Witness this then look yourself in the mirror and say .. no it got smaller until it vanished from view !
Also  for me observing lighthouses  as I aproaching them from afar you only see the sweep of light as the lighthouse itself is below the horizon . Slowly but surely the nearer you get the more appears .. I have not gone into any deep mathematics..  a lot of which is used in navigation on a globe but just wanted to highlight  a couple of things anyone can see anywhere anytime .. take a look and then ask yourself .. how can this work on a flat earth ?

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »

?

I can but it's rather complex one shot. It begins with Jesus and his disciples. They took a boat trip and Jesus walked on the sea which was raging. The souls of his feet caused the tides to calm. It's fairly rudimentary, power of God and all.

Come back, I can give you story time one shot......
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »

What this does is to cause a SMALL amount of centrifugal force that tugs at the side of the Earth that's furthest from the Moon...and THAT force creates the second tide.

This is interesting because there is NO force in Flat Earth theory that can explain that second tide.

Check out this page - scroll down to "HIGH TIDES AND LOW TIDES" and you'll see a graph of the water depth - with two minimums and two maximums:

http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/england/southwold#_tides

I rather like this proof because anyone who lives on some open ocean beach can easily see the double tides for themselves.

In rivers, lakes and other confined areas, the results are less clear because the water is much delayed by the constrictions in flow - but the effect is very clear on open ocean beaches.

It's not centrifugal force that causes it, it's the differential between the gravitational force on the water vs. the solid part of the earth. In other words, the second high tide is caused by there being LESS gravity on that part of the ocean.

This may seem like a silly distinction, but it has implications, for example if the mass of the moon were much greater, both the high tides would be much greater, not just the one closest to the moon. If it were due to the centrifugal force of the orbit, that should only vary as the orbital period/velocity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_force

devils advocate

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 02:48:33 PM »

?

I can but it's rather complex one shot. It begins with Jesus and his disciples. They took a boat trip and Jesus walked on the sea which was raging. The souls of his feet caused the tides to calm. It's fairly rudimentary, power of God and all.

Come back, I can give you story time one shot......

That's why during the three days Jesus was on the cross the sea's were flat as a pancake as he wasn't there to make the tides roll. Check it out there's a You tube clip of the flat seas during those days. Totally legit.