Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Aether
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2014, 03:45:19 AM »
Well, the body of evidence that the Earth is flat, as well as the evidence of things falling, proves that UA exists. If gravity was a thing the Earth would be squished into a ball.

It bears mentioning that the infinite planar models (or the near-infinite, at least) do allow for gravity as a force, I believe.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2014, 03:50:14 AM »
Well, the body of evidence that the Earth is flat, as well as the evidence of things falling, proves that UA exists. If gravity was a thing the Earth would be squished into a ball.

It bears mentioning that the infinite planar models (or the near-infinite, at least) do allow for gravity as a force, I believe.

Fair enough. I think it was Wilmore who did the calculations showing that on an infinite plain gravity would not form the Earth into a ball.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Rama Set

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2014, 06:46:49 AM »

Fair enough. I think it was Wilmore who did the calculations showing that on an infinite plain gravity would not form the Earth into a ball.

Gravity would however bend light rays reflected from distant landscape features back down to your eyes effectively making the sky a reflection of the distant ground.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »

Actually it was John Davis who used Gauss's Law as applied to Bouguer plates to justify his infinite plane with gravity model.  I don't recall Wilmore (or just about any other FE'er) ever presenting any calculations to support his model.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »

Gravity would however bend light rays reflected from distant landscape features back down to your eyes effectively making the sky a reflection of the distant ground.

Gravity doesn't increase as mass increases. Gravity increases as density increases. An infinite Earth wouldn't have any particularly special gravitational lensing, since it would have the same density as the Earth does in RET.

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound when you imply that it is established that the earth is flat?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound when you imply that it is established that the earth is flat?

The insistence that such a thing is ridiculous is how I define an 'angry noob' on this forum. So, yes, but only to some.

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »

The insistence that such a thing is ridiculous is how I define an 'angry noob' on this forum. So, yes, but only to some.

If you say so. Enjoy those delusions and your mountain of evidence that nobody has seen, ever.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »
Tausami, I would like to see the evidence that exists proving the Earth to be flat. Up here topside I would like to see that. So far I haven't even seen an agreed upon map of the Earth, let alone anything else. Unlike my colleague Rotting, I'm willing to entertain the idea of FET. But I have to see evidence first. So far, I haven't. If RET is false, demonstrate HOW it is false.

Rama Set

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »

Gravity doesn't increase as mass increases. Gravity increases as density increases. An infinite Earth wouldn't have any particularly special gravitational lensing, since it would have the same density as the Earth does in RET.

Yes, but over an infinite plane, any bending, no matter how slight would lead to this effect. Here is a link explaining better than I can with some maths as well:

http://www.askamathematician.com/2012/08/q-if-earth-was-flat-would-there-be-the-horizon-if-so-what-would-it-look-like-if-the-earth-was-flat-and-had-infinite-area-would-that-change-the-answer/

Rama Set

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
Tausami, I would like to see the evidence that exists proving the Earth to be flat. Up here topside I would like to see that. So far I haven't even seen an agreed upon map of the Earth, let alone anything else. Unlike my colleague Rotting, I'm willing to entertain the idea of FET. But I have to see evidence first. So far, I haven't. If RET is false, demonstrate HOW it is false.

Perhaps this should be taken up in this thread:

http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=1141.0

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
I'm unable to click on the link from my phone w/ the WAP2 interface. I'll look @ it from my computer a little later today.

Rama Set

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »
It's the thread in FE Debate titled "Show me proof of a flat Earth".

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »
Ok! Thanks!