Islam and Flat Earth
« on: December 03, 2015, 05:23:34 AM »
I'm searching for documentation that shows that Islam actively taught the earth was flat, immovable, not globe etc.

I've read the Quran passages that infer it,  but I can't find anything other than that, or some fairly recent looking video of a Muslim talking about it (airplane taking off / landing). There are newspaper articles from the 19th century that refer to it, but these are from US archives and I couldn't find anything other than the mention of the belief.

Any links much appreciated.

Re: Islam and Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:48:24 PM »
I think it will be difficult to find 'proof'. Like any other religion, the book is interpreted differently by different people. Some taught/teach & some don't, it depends on their belief system.
Did christianity ever 'actively' teach that the earth was/is flat? Some places, sure. But as a whole? No.
How many believe that 'the four corners of the earth' means a flat earth, or means the four points of the compass? 

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »
I understand people interpret sacred texts differently. This seems to me a remedial observation. I'm searching for documentation.

Did christianity ever 'actively' teach that the earth was/is flat? Some places, sure. But as a whole? No.

How can you quantify or document this assertion? Which places? As a whole? What does that mean?

Can you document Christianity actively teaching a globe earth?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:33:04 AM »
Islamic fundamentalists actively teach that the Earth is flat to this day. Consider Mohammed Yusuf's statements, for example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8172270.stm

Fadhel Al-Sa'id's claims have also been gaining some traction recently:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:38:23 AM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 07:14:02 PM »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:22:48 AM by أسامة السلفي »

Offline scomato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 04:29:22 AM »
Regardless of what might get taught in Islamic schools by teachers, the Islamic governments seem to be heavily invested in space programs of their own.

Saudi Arabia's Space Commission: https://saudispace.gov.sa/en/home/ Notably, two years ago the Saudi Arabsat television satellite was the payload aboard a SpaceX launch.

Iranian Space Agency: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Space_Agency Ironic considering the Revolutionary Guard claims to uphold hardline Islamic values by force, but also say that they have no comprehensive defense plan unless they have a presence in space.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 03:11:03 PM »

The qur'an, to the best of my knowledge, never explicitly says the earth is flat. It says it is "spread out", which implies it. It also implies it's held in place by "firm mountains".
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »

Regardless of what might get taught in Islamic schools by teachers, the Islamic governments seem to be heavily invested in space programs of their own.

Saudi Arabia's Space Commission: https://saudispace.gov.sa/en/home/ Notably, two years ago the Saudi Arabsat television satellite was the payload aboard a SpaceX launch.

The Saudis don't do anything without checking their Muslim bosses.

Game, set, match.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 03:35:26 AM »
السلام عليكم

يخبرنا الله في القران أن الأرض مسطحة بأدلة واضحة ويخبر بأن السماء عبارة عن سقف سميك ويخبر بأن الأرض ثابتة والشمس تتحرك ويخبر بأن هناك سبع سموات وسبع أراضين......
ياأخي أقرأ القران كامل وسترى الحق
👇
https://www.quranful.com/

Peace be upon you

God tells us in the Qur’an that the earth is flat with clear evidence. He tells that the sky is a thick roof. He tells that the earth is stationary and the sun moves. He tells that there are seven heavens and seven lands ......
 My brother, read the entire Quran and you will see the truth
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:41:30 AM by أسامة السلفي »

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 02:50:02 PM »
Alaikum Salaam.

Fact is undeniable; belief is personal.  I respect fact, and I respect everyone's belief. 

Think on this; whatever one believes, the word of God has always been transcribed by man, including the Prophet (Peace be upon Him). 

The Word of God may be infallible, but can we believe the word of man?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 02:56:38 PM »
Alaikum Salaam.

Fact is undeniable; belief is personal.  I respect fact, and I respect everyone's belief. 

Think on this; whatever one believes, the word of God has always been transcribed by man, including the Prophet (Peace be upon Him). 

The Word of God may be infallible, but can we believe the word of man?

Or we could say that primitive man decided to explain natural phenomena as gods work and a way to not fear death.   It didn't take long to figure out that there is huge power in exploiting weak-minded believers.  Sex, money, and power.  The universal trifecta of religion.

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 04:16:21 AM »
(مَنِ اهْتَدَىٰ فَإِنَّمَا يَهْتَدِي لِنَفْسِهِ ۖ وَمَنْ ضَلَّ فَإِنَّمَا يَضِلُّ عَلَيْهَا ۚ وَلَا تَزِرُ وَازِرَةٌ وِزْرَ أُخْرَىٰ ۗ وَمَا كُنَّا مُعَذِّبِينَ حَتَّىٰ نَبْعَثَ رَسُولًا)

Whoever chooses to be guided, it is only for their own good. And whoever chooses to stray, it is only to their own loss. No soul burdened with sin will bear the burden of another. And We would never punish ˹a people˺ until We have sent a messenger ˹to warn them˺.
Whoever is guided is only guided for [the benefit of] his soul. And whoever errs only errs against it. And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And never would We punish until We sent a messenger.

(وَكَذَٰلِكَ أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ رُوحًا مِنْ أَمْرِنَا ۚ مَا كُنْتَ تَدْرِي مَا الْكِتَابُ وَلَا الْإِيمَانُ وَلَٰكِنْ جَعَلْنَاهُ نُورًا نَهْدِي بِهِ مَنْ نَشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِنَا ۚ وَإِنَّكَ لَتَهْدِي إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُسْتَقِيمٍ)

And so We have sent to you ˹O Prophet˺ a revelation by Our command. You did not know of ˹this˺ Book and faith ˹before˺. But We have made it a light, by which We guide whoever We will of Our servants. And you are truly leading ˹all˺ to the Straight Path—
And thus We have revealed to you an inspiration of Our command [i.e., the Qur’ān]. You did not know what is the Book or [what is] faith, but We have made it a light by which We guide whom We will of Our servants. And indeed, [O Muḥammad], you guide to a straight path -

(صِرَاطِ اللَّهِ الَّذِي لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ ۗ أَلَا إِلَى اللَّهِ تَصِيرُ الأمور)
the Path of Allah, to Whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Surely to Allah all matters will return ˹for judgment˺.
The path of Allah, to whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Unquestionably, to Allah do [all] matters evolve [i.e., return].

https://quran.com
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 04:25:48 AM by أسامة السلفي »

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 03:52:28 PM »
(مَنِ اهْتَدَىٰ فَإِنَّمَا يَهْتَدِي لِنَفْسِهِ ۖ وَمَنْ ضَلَّ فَإِنَّمَا يَضِلُّ عَلَيْهَا ۚ وَلَا تَزِرُ وَازِرَةٌ وِزْرَ أُخْرَىٰ ۗ وَمَا كُنَّا مُعَذِّبِينَ حَتَّىٰ نَبْعَثَ رَسُولًا)

Whoever chooses to be guided, it is only for their own good. And whoever chooses to stray, it is only to their own loss. No soul burdened with sin will bear the burden of another. And We would never punish ˹a people˺ until We have sent a messenger ˹to warn them˺.
Whoever is guided is only guided for [the benefit of] his soul. And whoever errs only errs against it. And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And never would We punish until We sent a messenger.

(وَكَذَٰلِكَ أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ رُوحًا مِنْ أَمْرِنَا ۚ مَا كُنْتَ تَدْرِي مَا الْكِتَابُ وَلَا الْإِيمَانُ وَلَٰكِنْ جَعَلْنَاهُ نُورًا نَهْدِي بِهِ مَنْ نَشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِنَا ۚ وَإِنَّكَ لَتَهْدِي إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُسْتَقِيمٍ)

And so We have sent to you ˹O Prophet˺ a revelation by Our command. You did not know of ˹this˺ Book and faith ˹before˺. But We have made it a light, by which We guide whoever We will of Our servants. And you are truly leading ˹all˺ to the Straight Path—
And thus We have revealed to you an inspiration of Our command [i.e., the Qur’ān]. You did not know what is the Book or [what is] faith, but We have made it a light by which We guide whom We will of Our servants. And indeed, [O Muḥammad], you guide to a straight path -

(صِرَاطِ اللَّهِ الَّذِي لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ ۗ أَلَا إِلَى اللَّهِ تَصِيرُ الأمور)
the Path of Allah, to Whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Surely to Allah all matters will return ˹for judgment˺.
The path of Allah, to whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Unquestionably, to Allah do [all] matters evolve [i.e., return].

https://quran.com

That was preaching Islam. It had nothing to do with whether or not the earth is flat.

And yes, I've read the qur'an. It is 6,236 verses of pure, unadulterated BS.
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.