Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Branson to go only 55 miles up !
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2021, 12:51:41 PM »
The point you are repeatedly failing to acknowledge is that whoever’s arse they pulled it from, any definition of where earth’s atmosphere ends and “space” begins is arbitrary. There is no firm line where the sky stops and space starts, the atmosphere just fades away in a gradient.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2021, 01:01:15 PM »
The point you are repeatedly failing to acknowledge is that whoever’s arse they pulled it from, any definition of where earth’s atmosphere ends and “space” begins is arbitrary. There is no firm line where the sky stops and space starts, the atmosphere just fades away in a gradient.

??? A mountain goes up in a gradient. Does that not mean it has a summit?

There is nothing arbitrary about the point at which there is no more air. That's it. Vacuum of space.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=what+is+the+pressure+at+280%2C000+feet%3F

^That number is not zero. Ergo, that is not space. Get me to the place where pressure = 0 and we'll call that space. A place with no atmosphere ... you know, space.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2021, 01:04:28 PM »
Where does London start?  City of London?  Greater London? 

London is enormous. You missed another of its excellent airports. London Oxford Airport.

No, I didn't miss it.  I was listing the destinations offered by a particular service provider.  But you are correct in pointing out that other alternatives are offered by other providers. 

Now, it calls itself Windsor castle, but I think it is pretty obvious that it is not Windsor castle. 

With respect, its only obvious to you because you did your research.  You would want to be sure that its a "Windsor Castle" that satisfies your requirements before you book an Uber.  Would you want to finish up at the the big fortified house in Berkshire, for instance, when your mates are waiting for you down at the pub?  If I was going to spend several hundred thousand dollars on a ticket from Sir Richard, I think I would first satisfy myself with where he was taking me.  Its on the VG website:

APOGEE
Nearly 300,000 feet above Earth, the cabin becomes your playground to unbuckle and experience weightlessness. 

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
Without doing any research ... you book a taxi as a tourist and ask them to take you to see Stonehenge.

You get dropped off here.

Are you happy about that? Maybe this meets the FAAs definition of Stonehenge for example. They seem to be pretty flexible in what they will accept.

Offline Kokorikos

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2021, 01:31:32 PM »
I am pretty sure that the people that paid to be onboard this flight knew exactly where they were going.
And I am pretty sure that none of them consider themselves to be astronauts.

Saying they went to space is just a marketing ploy.
The flight was still an impressive feat of engineering, though.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2021, 01:40:32 PM »
I am pretty sure that the people that paid to be onboard this flight knew exactly where they were going.
Being as everyone on this flight was a paid employee of Branson, I am pretty sure no one paid to be on this flight.

And I am pretty sure that none of them consider themselves to be astronauts.
Wikipedia has them listed as astronauts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spaceflight_records#Human_spaceflight_firsts

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2021, 02:06:06 PM »
??? A mountain goes up in a gradient. Does that not mean it has a summit?

I hope this helps you to understand the difference which you are pretending not to understand

There is nothing arbitrary about the point at which there is no more air. That's it. Vacuum of space.
^That number is not zero. Ergo, that is not space. Get me to the place where pressure = 0 and we'll call that space. A place with no atmosphere ... you know, space.

It's nice that it's so clear and definitive to you. To people who know what they're talking about, not so much

Not all scientists agree that the exosphere is really a part of the atmosphere. Some scientists consider the thermosphere the uppermost part of Earth's atmosphere, and think that the exosphere is really just part of space. However, other scientists do consider the exosphere part of our planet's atmosphere.

Since the exosphere gradually fades into outer space, there is no clear upper boundary of this layer. One definition of the outermost limit of the exosphere places the uppermost edge of Earth's atmosphere around 190,000 km (120,000 miles), about halfway to the Moon.

https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/atmosphere/exosphere
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2021, 02:12:04 PM »
Question ... do you find an exosphere just randomly in space ... or are those conditions only found near planets? That might be a clue as to whether it is space or not.

Branson however is still in cloud territory. There is no way anyone should describe a trip amongst the clouds as space.

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2021, 02:36:08 PM »
The FAA is the one who issues the credentials for astronauts, so they win.   
But here at tfes.org, we issue the credentials as to whether you proved the earth was round or not, and if you want to use "I saw earth from space" as your argument ... you'd better be in a place that we consider space.
What about the moon? That's in space, according to your own definition.  There's pictures of the earth from there, but then FES just proclaims them to be fake CGI.  So there's no possible way to be issued round earth credentials, is there?  You know the level of gas in your cars fuel tank, or it's oil pressure, or it's engine temperature, right? It's all from direct reading instruments that report the results back to you.  What if I told you that there's also instruments that can measure the roundness of the Earth.  Would that qualify as evidence?   
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2021, 02:37:36 PM »
??? This thread is about Branson not going to space. Take your moon nonsense to another thread.

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2021, 02:47:15 PM »
??? This thread is about Branson not going to space. Take your moon nonsense to another thread.
Why would you even mention that 'we issue the credentials as to whether you proved the earth was round or not' in a previous thread?  Who needs to take their nonsense to another thread then?  If you want 'space credentials' you have to see the FAA.  They did issue some paperwork to the pilots who flew the mission.  I'm trying to figure out how I can obtain 'round earth credentials' and who issues them.  Branson's pilots got theirs, how do I get mine?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:08:10 PM by RonJ »
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2021, 03:00:29 PM »
Branson however is still in cloud territory. There is no way anyone should describe a trip amongst the clouds as space.
When you write to the FAA about this very important matter can you please post their reply.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2021, 03:19:43 PM »
When you write to the FAA about this very important matter can you please post their reply.

??? The FAA is American. It is only the USA that seem to think this low bar is acceptable and they seem to have lowered the bar so that they could give 'astronaut' status to airforce pilots. Internationally ... and I live internationally, no one else recognises this as a space flight.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2021, 03:24:08 PM »
RonJ, stop trying to derail this thread and crawl back to AR where you belong.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2021, 03:29:19 PM »
I am not failing to acknowledge that.

I agree with you.

This fact, that space is arbitrary, and arbitrary essentially = subjective, serves to demonstrate you subscribe to whimsy. You are whimsical. Can't count on you for objective analysis, for there is none to be had here.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2021, 08:44:41 AM »
Now Bezos is off in his giant space cock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57849364

This one is going to 106km/65 miles. Is that OK, Thork?

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2021, 10:31:53 AM »
"with the biggest windows flown into space, offering stunning views of the Earth."

Interesting.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2021, 10:33:08 AM »
"with the biggest windows flown into space, offering stunning views of the Earth."

Interesting.
I mean, it is interesting but I suspect you're getting at something else here and I'm not clear what.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »

Interesting.
I mean, it is interesting but I suspect you're getting at something else here and I'm not clear what.
Interesting in two ways.

The ISS or the Space Shuttle didn't have larger windows.

And that using the word space, while being totally subjective in its application, isn't really engaging in the process of seeking or reporting of truth.

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »
Looks like Bezos just made it up to the Karman line and is currently plummeting back to Earth.