Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Are the American police out of control?
« Reply #500 on: September 02, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »
I think it's relevant to the cops who spoke with him on multiple occasions and never questioned the legality of his openly carrying a loaded rifle in an area of unrest.
Is it common/expected of American cops to ID people carrying weapons in the middle of a protest (or in any other scenario)? Not trying to call it right or wrong, just curious if it you'd expect it had it not been for hindsight.

I don't know if it's common or not, and I'm not saying everybody carrying a weapon should necessarily be ID'd. BUT, we take selling cigarettes to minors very seriously in this country; if you don't look like you're 30 years old, you're carded. I think this is a somewhat more serious situation. If it's not standard practice to make sure someone who looks like he could be a minor is allowed to be carrying his weapon it damn well should be.

Again, the kid is stated to have conversed with the cops on multiple occasions. It would have been nothing for one of them to say, "Oh, yeah, got some ID?"

And honestly the fact that there was rioting is irrelevant. This should be standard practice in this country period.

And in a country where it's honestly argued that racial profiling is good because it lowers crime... is it too much to ask that a white guy openly carrying a loaded gun get the same treatment?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:44:11 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 02, 2020, 04:39:52 PM »
I think it's relevant to the cops who spoke with him on multiple occasions and never questioned the legality of his openly carrying a loaded rifle in an area of unrest.
Is it common/expected of American cops to ID people carrying weapons in the middle of a protest (or in any other scenario)? Not trying to call it right or wrong, just curious if it you'd expect it had it not been for hindsight.

Only if they are black.
And by ID, I mean after they are arrested or shot.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 04, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »
Black USA citizen's car is hit, while driving, by another car. Police determine his car has to be towed away, but his documentation, ID, everything he would need to retrieve his car from the police pound, as well as his shoes, are all still in the car. The police refuse him access to the car to get them back, despite his protests, so he has to leave his car to them, and walk away.

Apparently, while walking away from the scene, one of the officers climbed into his car, and ran this man down as he crossed the street ...

https://medium.com/@lessig/arguing-while-black-86049ac5fd44
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 04, 2020, 08:30:50 PM »
Black USA citizen's car is hit, while driving, by another car. Police determine his car has to be towed away, but his documentation, ID, everything he would need to retrieve his car from the police pound, as well as his shoes, are all still in the car. The police refuse him access to the car to get them back, despite his protests, so he has to leave his car to them, and walk away.

Apparently, while walking away from the scene, one of the officers climbed into his car, and ran this man down as he crossed the street ...

https://medium.com/@lessig/arguing-while-black-86049ac5fd44

It could all be fake but I'd believe it. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 05, 2020, 02:10:47 PM »
Only if they are black.

I'm sure Dave is drawing his conclusions from his enormous experience of living in impoverished areas of America and definitely not shouting down from an ivory tower, a tower that isn't even in the US.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 05, 2020, 05:54:29 PM »
Only if they are black.

I'm sure Dave is drawing his conclusions from his enormous experience of living in impoverished areas of America and definitely not shouting down from an ivory tower, a tower that isn't even in the US.

Its not Ivory, its wood.

And yes, you are correct, I haven't lived in impoverished areas.  Near, yes, but not in.  And being white, I never had to deal with cops who see me as a threat.

But one does not need to experience it to know it happens.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 06, 2020, 08:15:25 AM »

Does the tree only fall in the forest when you personally see it fall?

If the lumberjack team returns from the day's work, to announce they felled a dozen that day, do you wander into the forest to check, just in case?

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 06, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
If the lumberjack team returns from the day's work, to announce they felled a dozen that day, do you wander into the forest to check, just in case?
If the lumberjacks came back announcing that the trees have become sapient and that an army of angry ents is now marching towards our village, I'd probably be mildly skeptical of the claim.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 07, 2020, 05:38:27 PM »
Greenville County, SC around 45 days ago.

At least seven police pursue a man wanted for minor traffic offences. Body cam footage shows a group of them jumping out of a van, with the victim running away from the rear of the vehicle. Around three seconds later, five of the seven officers have opened fire on him, and he collapses on the roadway.

https://eu.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/south-carolina/2020/08/25/greenville-county-sheriffs-office-releases-details-deputy-involved-shooting/5615187002/

Looks like some defunding could easily be sustained by that police dept.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 07, 2020, 05:51:09 PM »
Reports from Portland that police are heavily teargassing residential streets, and when the non-protesting residents appear out of their homes to bemoan the fact that even in their own homes, they cannot escape it, the police are beating the sh*t out of them.

Nearly?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 08, 2020, 01:12:56 AM »

If Dave told you he cut down a dozen trees in a single day, would you believe him?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 08, 2020, 05:17:25 AM »

If Dave told you he cut down a dozen trees in a single day, would you believe him?
If I was a Luberjack instead of an IT guy, would it change the answer?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 08, 2020, 03:14:37 PM »

Yes, unless I have cause to disbelieve him.

Nearly?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 08, 2020, 09:58:29 PM »

Yes, unless I have cause to disbelieve him.

I cut down 11 trees in a single day.  3 years ago.

Rama Set

« Reply #514 on: September 08, 2020, 11:25:47 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/08/linden-cameron-police-shooting-boy-autism-utah

A 13-year-old boy with autism was shot several times by police officers who responded to his home in Salt Lake City after his mother called for help.

Golda Barton told KUTV she called 911 to request a crisis intervention team because her son, who has Asperger’s syndrome, was having an episode caused by “bad separation anxiety” as his mother went to work for the first time in more than a year.

“I said, ‘He’s unarmed, he doesn’t have anything, he just gets mad and he starts yelling and screaming,’” she said. “He’s a kid, he’s trying to get attention, he doesn’t know how to regulate.”

Are the police out of control?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 10, 2020, 04:19:46 PM »

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 10, 2020, 04:38:51 PM »
Raleigh detective of 11 years suspended pending investigation of him framing up to 15 (fifteen) people on drugs charges with false evidence ...

https://abc11.com/amp/omar-abdullah-kimberly-muktarian-raleigh-police-department/6416588/?__twitter_impression=true

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 12, 2020, 07:27:28 PM »
Clayton County, GA

POlice pull over a Lyft driver for a minor traffic matter. They ask passengers for ID, and when passengers protest that they shouldn't be ID'd for the driver's indiscretion, the police beat one of the passengers to within an inch of his life... one suspended at the moment, Internal Affairs called in before 8am...

https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/12/georgia-cops-beat-smother-black-lyft-passenger-who-did-not-show-id/

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 12, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »
NYPD aggressively attacks funeral vigil for a cyclist who was killed in a collision with bus in the city.

Apparently NYPD wouldn't let the folks leave when they wanted to, then attacked them for not leaving....

https://champ.gothamist.com/champ/gothamist/news/nypd-aggressively-disrupts-peaceful-vigil-brooklyn-cyclist-fatally-struck-bus-driver?__twitter_impression=true

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 16, 2020, 10:07:54 AM »
On the death of Daniel Prude;

"City records show how officials sought to frame the narrative around Daniel Prude’s death in the hours and days after his encounter with the police."

Nearly?