Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
How would you promote the society if we were funded?
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:38:37 PM »
This is an informational query for any Flat Earthers on this forum. Lets say that I found a way to get us funded. Lets keep the amounts ambiguous for now. If you were provided with some amount of money, what would you do with it to promote the society?

What experiments would you conduct, projects would you work on, or promotional activities would you organize?

Imagine that our budget was $10,000, $50,000 or $100,000.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:42:26 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

Re: How would you promote the society if we were funded?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
Find substantial proof that the Earth is flat, such that even someone working in geodetics could not dispute it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
Find substantial proof that the Earth is flat, such that even someone working in geodetics could not dispute it.

How so?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 01:10:30 AM »
Here's what I would do. Since Round Earthers seem operate on Appeal to Authority, I would pay a parade of their scientists to debate with us on these matters on a public website.

We would get the media involved to advertise this showdown for us, who would write articles along the line of "Flat Earth Society Challenges Scientists" and the public the world over will come to watch. We will gather the best Flat Earth debaters from both websites to participate and the battle will commence.

As a benefit, we will get to immortalize the discussions on the website as reference material and point to it as a source of authority that not even a PhD in this field could satisfactorily defend his beliefs. I've debated them myself, and believe me, its all the same as the regular people who come here and debate us with Google searches.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:48:36 PM by Tom Bishop »

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 02:05:33 AM »

How so?

Yes. How so ? You would find no substantial proof that the earth was flat . You would never find someone in geodetics who could not dispute it. It would only add more ridicule of The Flat Earth Society that it already has. Please don't even think of destroying these most entertaining "spoof" websites.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:07:34 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 02:07:13 AM »
Yes. How so ? You would find no substantial proof that the earth was flat . You would never find someone in geodetics who could not dispute it. It would only add more ridicule of The Flat Earth Society that it already has. Please don't even think of destroying these most entertaining websites.

Every time we do present evidence it's explained away by a chance optical illusion that occurred at time of observation.

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 02:10:59 AM »
Yes. How so ? You would find no substantial proof that the earth was flat . You would never find someone in geodetics who could not dispute it. It would only add more ridicule of The Flat Earth Society that it already has. Please don't even think of destroying these most entertaining websites.

Every time we do present evidence it's explained away by a chance optical illusion that occurred at time of observation.

I think you need to talk to some real people in the world first. Talk to some people in the Navy for a start.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 03:50:45 AM »

I think you need to talk to some real people in the world first. Talk to some people in the Navy for a start.

Oooh, pick me, pick me!
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 03:57:35 AM »
Here's what I would do. Since Round Earthers seem operate on Appeal to Authority, I would pay a parade of their scientists to debate with us on these matters on a public website.

We would get the media involved to advertise this showdown for us, who would write articles along the line of "Flat Earth Society Challenges Scientists" and the public the world over will come to watch. We will gather the best Flat Earth debaters from both websites to participate and the battle will commence.
As surprised as I am to find myself agreeing with an FE guy, I hope you actually do this.  I would love to see Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson debate some of you, it would make some really good TV, I think.

As a benefit, we will get to immortalize the discussions on the website as reference material and point to it as a source of authority that not even a PhD in this field could satisfactorily defend his beliefs.
I imagine the outcome being somewhat different.  I really hope you can make this happen, would love to see who is right about the results!
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »

That really is a bit strange coming from you!
Please explain sunrises and sunsets! See Re: Why a sunrise and sunset?
Please explain how the sun stays the same angular size all through the day as in The Constancy of the Angular size of the Sun, not on this site I'm afraid!

Of course your explanations.must not resort to "chance optical illusion that occurred at time of observation" or similar bendy light and impossible refraction explanations.

Don't worry those are just the start.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 07:17:21 PM »

As surprised as I am to find myself agreeing with an FE guy, I hope you actually do this.  I would love to see Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson debate some of you, it would make some really good TV, I think.

As a benefit, we will get to immortalize the discussions on the website as reference material and point to it as a source of authority that not even a PhD in this field could satisfactorily defend his beliefs.
I imagine the outcome being somewhat different.  I really hope you can make this happen, would love to see who is right about the results!

A PhD scientist like Neil deGrasse Tyson doesn't have some sort of secret that the 30,000 other PhDs have neglected to write about and index on Google. They would just come to us with arguments like the Eratosthenes's stick shadow experiment as a proof of RE circumference and the end result would be all the same as many other people who have tried that argument on this site and the .org one.

I certainly hope that they would accept the challenge and try. Some of them do seem to care about "ignorance in science" and may freely debate us without monetary compensation involved.

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 12:34:16 AM »

How so?

Thats your job baby.

geckothegeek

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »

How so?

Thats your job baby.

"Mission Impossible"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 07:03:12 PM »
Personally, I'd look at opening a small exhibition or museum. Something permanent or semi-permanent. Yes, it's a cliché, and yes, I can already hear one of our RE regulars saying that it would be just like a "creation science" museum, but I do believe it would help us get publicity and potentially secure funds for further growth.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

geckothegeek

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 11:07:27 PM »
Personally, I'd look at opening a small exhibition or museum. Something permanent or semi-permanent. Yes, it's a cliché, and yes, I can already hear one of our RE regulars saying that it would be just like a "creation science" museum, but I do believe it would help us get publicity and potentially secure funds for further growth.

Suggestion : It could be like "Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum".

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 01:24:59 AM »
Well, I'd stay away from the whole science route.  That just won't end well for the flat earth. 

Instead hire a pr firm and try to get this movement protected social status like a religion or a minority group. 

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 03:43:09 AM »
Well, I'd stay away from the whole science route.  That just won't end well for the flat earth. 

This is an empty statement with no substance.

Instead hire a pr firm and try to get this movement protected social status like a religion or a minority group.

This literally is counter to the goal of this community, which is freedom of thought, ideas, expression, etc. We don't require safe spaces or special treatment.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 04:14:45 AM »
two genuine suggestions:

1) pay someone to do outreach like twitter, reddit, facebook, etc.  the social media presence of this particular node of fes waxes and wanes; that's to be expected when it's all pro bono work, of course.  throwing someone even a modest sum might help keep that waxing momentum going.  reddit and twitter, for example, used to be bumping, but they're dead now.  gotta hand it to thork, he did twitter well.

2) carefully documented experiments.  if i wanted to see a photo of the results of a bedford-style experiment right this moment, i have no idea where i'd find one.  it's your foundational experiment, and i think it would be worthwhile to carefully document a modern version, with modern equipment, and make it easily accessible to everyone who visits this forum.

since i'm often very argumentative here, i'll mention explicitly that this isn't meant to be snide or sarcastic or jabbing at all.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »
two genuine suggestions:

1) pay someone to do outreach like twitter, reddit, facebook, etc.  the social media presence of this particular node of fes waxes and wanes; that's to be expected when it's all pro bono work, of course.  throwing someone even a modest sum might help keep that waxing momentum going.  reddit and twitter, for example, used to be bumping, but they're dead now.  gotta hand it to thork, he did twitter well.

2) carefully documented experiments.  if i wanted to see a photo of the results of a bedford-style experiment right this moment, i have no idea where i'd find one.  it's your foundational experiment, and i think it would be worthwhile to carefully document a modern version, with modern equipment, and make it easily accessible to everyone who visits this forum.

since i'm often very argumentative here, i'll mention explicitly that this isn't meant to be snide or sarcastic or jabbing at all.

"i think it would be worthwhile to carefully document a modern version, with modern equipment", certainly, though it would have to done at a number of times at quite different times of the day and night.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »
Agreed, that would be pretty awesome
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume