Ghost of V

Piracy
« on: April 29, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »

What are your views on piracy? Is it really hurting the music/gaming/movie/etc industry? I've heard mixed things, and there's a lot of misinformation on this subject. I'm not going to turn you in, so feel free to speak candidly.

Re: Piracy
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »
Dawg, believe it or don't but I don really care ab piracy that much dawg.

I make so much money off my other shit it don even matter at all.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »

Like what exactly?  ???

I thought bitches and STDS cost money?

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »

Like what exactly?  ???

I thought bitches and STDS cost money?

I have no STDs except HERPES which is NO BIG DEAL I HARDLY EVEN HAVE OUTBREAKS ANYMORE.

But nah I make money off tours and merch like a real artist.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »
Like Kanye said, artists make more if their money through other means, perhaps with the exception of big independent groups, which i can think of approximately one. I think digital music sharing's value is more about publicity than monetary value.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 07:05:51 PM »
Like Kanye said, artists make more if their money through other means, perhaps with the exception of big independent groups, which i can think of approximately one. I think digital music sharing's value is more about publicity than monetary value.

Thanks for the shout out but please refer to me as "Kanye West" first-and-last-name in the future.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »

Yes, it makes sense in that regard.

This, however, does not really apply to the game/movie industry.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »

Yes, it makes sense in that regard.

This, however, does not really apply to the game/movie industry.

ALRIGHT GAMES IS UNIQUE WE KNOW THIS BUT

DID YOU KNOW THAT ITS VERY SIMILAR?

Think about it, dawg. 99% of a developer's revenue is earned within the FIRST MONTH of a games launch, dawg. THE FIRST MONTH. After that they be losin they revenue to shit like resellers (Amazon, GameStop, eBay, Craigslist) and other shit, right, haaanh.

Any piracy done AFTER THE FIRST MONTH should in theory in no way influence a game's revenue. BUT LOGIC STILL APPLIES.

IF I WRITE GOOD MUSIC PEOPLE WILL BUY IT...OR GO TO MY CONCERT...OR BUY MY TSHIRTS AND VINYLS AND STICKERS.

IF A GAME IS GOOD...MOST PEOPLE WILL BUY IT. OR THEYLL BUY THE EXPANSIONS. OR THEYLL BUY THE SEQUEL. OR THEYLL TELL THEIR FRIENDS ABOUT IT IN TURN AND THEYLL BUY IT.

POPULAR PRODUCT PREVENTS PIRACY.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:13:42 PM by Kanye_West »

Ghost of V

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
BETTER PRODUCT PREVENTS PRIVACY.

Not necessarily. Do you have any evidence to substantiate this claim, Kanye?

Also, Kanye... I've pirated all your albums. I haven't gone to any of your shows (and don't plan on it) and wouldn't dream of buying anything that said Kanye West on it. How do you feel?

Also, did you really name your child North West?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:17:41 PM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »

Also, Kanye... I've pirated all your albums. I haven't gone to any of your shows (and don't plan on it) and wouldn't dream of buying anything that said Kanye West on it. How do you feel?

Dawg, I ain't got no specific reports or nothin'. But check this out...

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas has sole 27.5 million copies worldwide as of today.

The most recent sales figure on GTAIV is 25 million (in 2012), so its arguable DAWG that GTAIV is selling more per year than its predecessor. Since San Andreas piracy has become WAY EASIER DAWG. BUT THE SALES FIGURES ARE BETTER. PEOPLE ARE BUYING MORE GAMES NIGGA.

Recently, GTAV SOLD MORE COPIES IN THREE WEEKS THAN IV DID AT ALL. AT ALL IN THE UK.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »

Also, did you really name your child North West?

Yes my child is North West.

I don't mind it at all. Do you like my music? If not then WE DONT CARE. (HAAANH, GET IT?) But if you do, it stands to reason you'd at least be INTERESTED IN MY SHOWS. MAYBE I DONT COME CLOSE ENOUGH TO YOUR HOME CITY. IM SURE YOU HAVE YOUR REASONS. MAYBE YOURE POOR AND CANT BUY ANY ALBUMS AT ALL. YOU STILL DESERVE TO BE HEARIN MY SHIT THO.

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
Recently, GTAV SOLD MORE COPIES IN THREE WEEKS THAN IV DID AT ALL. AT ALL IN THE UK.

It takes a lot more know-how and technical BS to pirate a PS3/360 game. Especially when you compare it to pirating a 10 year old game that's easily downloadable for the PC. I would be interested to see how well GTAV sold if they released a PC version of it alongside the PS3/360 versions.

MAYBE I DONT COME CLOSE ENOUGH TO YOUR HOME CITY. IM SURE YOU HAVE YOUR REASONS. MAYBE YOURE POOR AND CANT BUY ANY ALBUMS AT ALL. YOU STILL DESERVE TO BE HEARIN MY SHIT THO.

No, it's because your music sucks.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »

It takes a lot more know-how and technical BS to pirate a PS3/360 game. Especially when you compare it to pirating a 10 year old game that's easily downloadable for the PC. I would be interested to see how well GTAV sold if they released a PC version of it alongside the PS3/360 versions.

MAYBE I DONT COME CLOSE ENOUGH TO YOUR HOME CITY. IM SURE YOU HAVE YOUR REASONS. MAYBE YOURE POOR AND CANT BUY ANY ALBUMS AT ALL. YOU STILL DESERVE TO BE HEARIN MY SHIT THO.

No, it's because your music sucks.

Then I really don't mind your piracy.

But I INCLUDED GTA IV IN MY ASSESSMENT WHICH IS ON PC AND IS VERY EASY TO PIRATE.

Ghost of V

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 07:34:59 PM »
Oh, I read that wrong. Do you know the PC sales for GTAIV?

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
Oh, I read that wrong. Do you know the PC sales for GTAIV?

No idea. But if total sales for SA was 27 mil and for IV its 25  mil (as of 2012). Its reasonable to assume similar percentages. Quick Google search didn't yield anything.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 08:23:44 PM »
Oh good, another troll with a one-dimensional personality trait.

As for piracy, I tend to download stuff for free to get an idea of what they're like, then buy the album/ boxset/ game/ whatever if it's any good.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
Piracy is an issue but not the way you think.

The people who pirate are mostly those who wouldn't buy anyway.  But the owners of the pirated material assume that 100% of all piracy is lost sales.  As a result they increase the price of their goods to account for the lost sales.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
Piracy is an issue but not the way you think.

The people who pirate are mostly those who wouldn't buy anyway.  But the owners of the pirated material assume that 100% of all piracy is lost sales.  As a result they increase the price of their goods to account for the lost sales.

Not quite. Piracy is particularly bad in Australia, where (for example) you need to pay $17/week just to have Foxtel to watch Game of Thrones, and even then it's not at the same time the US gets it. Hulu even blocked VPN's recently, turning more overseas 'pirates' back to torrenting. Many of us have few choices for legal methods, so we turn to torrenting sites. I torrent heaps of stuff, and if I like it I usually purchase it afterwards.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »
Oh good, another troll with a one-dimensional personality trait.
>another

As for piracy, I tend to download stuff for free to get an idea of what they're like, then buy the album/ boxset/ game/ whatever if it's any good.
I used to do that, but as I started earning more money, it eventually started feeling like it's not even worth the effort. I just find it easier to buy stuff, and I can afford it, so meh. Therefore, the only way to solve piracy is clearly and objectively to lower the prices.

Also, I would totally steal a car if I could get away with it. Sadly, I can't even drive.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »
I'm guilty of torrent almost everything that's not a this gen game title.

Sadly, I can't even drive.

Wait what?

I would steal a car if I could torrent it and print it off with a 3D printer, but alas...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:53:49 PM by Vauxhall »