Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Should I become a console peasant?
« on: July 14, 2020, 06:02:10 PM »
I've always been a PC owner who uses their machine quite a lot. I don't game all that much, but occasionally.

So my current PC is due an update ... if I want to play games.

It's actually fine for work. Has 16gb RAM, RX580 GPU, 4/8 cores Ryzen and 1tb NVMe storage. Oh, and 4k screen. For making websites ... it's more than enough.

For games though ... well I'm think 5700XT with a ryzen 3600 or 4600 if I wait a bit.

Thing is, the new consoles are out soon. PS5 and Xbox Series X. And I'm thinking I could just get a console with a 65" TV and then sit back and chill. Don't need to be sat at my desk to play games.

My understanding is both will be about 5700XT in GPU terms anyway but cost way less. So ... should I just become a console peasant? I'm a pretty casual gamer these days anyway.

I'd want my console to play games, let me watch TV and generally do entertainment. Maybe even naked ladies if the mood takes me.

And if I become a console peasant ... Playstation or Xbox? In my head, they are the same. I know PS gets more sales. Xbox is more PC like. That makes me lean Microsoft ... but thoughts?

Or should I just get a grip of myself and build another PC?
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
Re: Should I become a console peasant?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:54:01 PM »
Ps5 IMO is the console worth getting, but they're mostly the same. The thing about xbox is if you have a reasonable windows pc, all exclusives for xbox will be on there too. Ps5 not only holds exclusives (at least for now, until they form some kind of deal with Epic Games) but actually is the more efficient console. That said, I have a powerhouse pc for work which can play any game on max settings and I'll still be getting a ps5 and maybe a nextbox just because I like having the choice. No reason not to have them all unless you're poor. With playstation you get the cool titles like Uncharted, Last of us, gran turismo (fuck forza it's not worth it). You got a pc it's as good as having an xbox. Though I prefer my shooters with a mouse and keyboard...

So in short, PC for RTS and FPS games, xbox if you have money to waste, ps5 if you want a console worth having for platformers and racing games and stuff, or just anything you would use a controller for. Get 'em all!
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »
No reason not to have them all unless you're poor.
I'm not poor but I don't play games much. One machine is more than enough.

Mmmm. Now I'm leaning PS5. The plot thickens.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:34:18 AM »
They'rew literally the same but with different games. 30FPS slideshow gameplay. Just get a pc and use a controller you fuck stick lmao.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 10:01:42 AM »
The main issue and main advantage of consoles is that their specs are set in stone. The upside is that if you buy a game, it will work on your console. The downside is that if the game is computationally intensive, it will be forcibly gimped until it runs on the console. Some releases suffer from FPS drops even then. At least with PC you have the option to upgrade your components to keep on trucking.

Personally, I own a crapton of consoles for when I want the couch+controller experience (I could arrange that on PC, but I find consoles adequate for this purpose). I also have a PC for more "serious" gaming.

If you only want one machine, and money is not an issue, I'd be voting for PC as the superior option. But a console will work well enough, too, y'know?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 10:57:43 AM »
The main issue and main advantage of consoles is that their specs are set in stone. The upside is that if you buy a game, it will work on your console. The downside is that if the game is computationally intensive, it will be forcibly gimped until it runs on the console. Some releases suffer from FPS drops even then. At least with PC you have the option to upgrade your components to keep on trucking.

Personally, I own a crapton of consoles for when I want the couch+controller experience (I could arrange that on PC, but I find consoles adequate for this purpose). I also have a PC for more "serious" gaming.

If you only want one machine, and money is not an issue, I'd be voting for PC as the superior option. But a console will work well enough, too, y'know?
I’m actually still kind of salty about this but my last pc was not bad spec wise, however when it came to upgrading hardware I found my motherboard was limited the components that were in there. That is to say, the motherboard limit for RAM was 64gb with a not great MHz speed and I had actually capped that limit with the best ram for it, and I already had the best cpu in there (that the motherboard could take) which meant any upgrades I wanted really needed a new motherboard and so the actual cost for upgrading RAM or CPU was more than a console. Though now I just future proofed by getting decent spec hardware that I know I can upgrade in the future... it was my own mistake for getting limited hardware to begin with but if after 5 years you end up having to replace all the parts to a pc just to keep it relevant for gaming you may end up being better off with a console.

Though my pc is also used for development so I tend to spec it out for that rather than playing games, it’s just a happy coincidence it’s also a gaming rig. Still, super salty about effectively having to buy a new computer to upgrade.

Anyway the specs for the new consoles are actually decent and there is a strong focus for 60fps gameplay which is nice. 30fps games were dark times
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:40:05 PM by ChrisTP »
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Rama Set

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
I will be getting an Xbox, mostly for legacy reasons but for some exclusives. We were given an Xbox 360 7 years ago and have a few games on it, so the backwards compatibility is appealing. My son also wants to play Sea of Thieves, which is exclusive to Xbox, as I understand it. From what I’ve read, the Xbox is slightly as a home media center as well which it will be used as.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 01:32:02 PM »
They'rew literally the same but with different games. 30FPS slideshow gameplay. Just get a pc and use a controller you fuck stick lmao.

Keep the rants/insults in AR. Warned.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »
30FPS slideshow gameplay.

Wut?

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/dirt_5_on_ps5_will_have_an_option_for_120_frames-per-second

I’m sure FPS will vary depending on the game. Games released later on in the console’s life will definitely not run at 120 FPS. Meanwhile, on PC I can play every game at 144 FPS. Also, most of the big 1st party games that would have been console only in the past now get PC releases as well. The console companies always promise “whoa dude, epic gameplay, the most powerful console in the universe, hella ultra graphics and silky smooth FPS” and it never works out that way.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 04:23:15 AM »
super salty about effectively having to buy a new computer to upgrade.
I feel you. Happens to the best of us. Though even in that scenario you have an edge over consoles if money is not an important consideration.

If your not-so-upgradable PC develops a fault, you can often trivially repair it as a non-technical person. If your console develops a fault, you dump it on eBay for 50 quid and buy a new one, because it usually works out cheaper than an (authorised) out-of-warranty repair.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »
Get a PS5. Console gaming is more enjoyable and PS5 will have the best games.

Keep the PC for FPS, CRPG, and whatever meme games you feel you have to play but can't on PS5.

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 11:12:51 PM »
I just want to play Baldur’s Gate 3 and Cyberpunk. Both will be on Xbone

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 12:32:14 AM »
I just want to play Baldur’s Gate 3 and Cyberpunk. Both will be on Xbone
Are you sure about that? I certainly hope Baldur's Gate 3 hits Xbox One, but last I saw they only confirmed it will be on PC and Stadia. That might change the moment the Series X finally hits the scene, but if they made an official announcement I must have missed it.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 04:19:24 PM »
I can't be a console peasant or a member of the PC master race because scalpers and their bots have bought everything. 🤬

Offline RhesusVX

• 1/137.03599913
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 11:24:49 AM »
I can't be a console peasant or a member of the PC master race because scalpers and their bots have bought everything. 🤬

Hey @Toddler Thork, did you make your mind up on what you are going to do?

It sounds like you have a decent PC for productivity, and that a quick GPU upgrade would allow you to play games if you really wanted to.  That being the case, almost everything released on Xbox Series X will also be available on PC.  So, worst case, and there's a must-have game you want to play that comes to Xbox, you could always upgrade your PC at some point.  This is the situation I find myself in - PC is OK, I don't game too much and really only want/need one console for casual gaming.

For that reason I would (and did) go for a PS5.  It does come down to what games and style you prefer, but the exclusives on PlayStation are generally fantastic, and for me, Gran Turismo is the one hook that I can't escape from!  All of the same 3rd party games will be on PS5, and depending on the publisher some will perform better on one platform compared to the other, but we are talking about comparing a Ferrari with a Lamborghini - both are awesome machines, sculpted differently but ultimately do broadly the same thing.

With a PS5 and a PC that you "could" upgrade, you still have the best of both worlds open to you.  Another reason I favoured PS5 first (I'm not ruling out a Series X) is the new Dual Sense controller and the potential that could bring to the gaming experience.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in the UK and have a second Digital Edition coming as a backup in case one is delayed.  Happy to let that go at cost with some beer money and postage paid for.
Quote from:  Earth, Solar System, Oort Cloud, LIC, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe
"Sometimes you need to take a step back to see the bigger picture, and sometimes you need to think outside the box dome"

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 07:35:42 PM »
Hey @Toddler Thork, did you make your mind up on what you are going to do?
Not really.

I decided a console was the way to go and that I would get a new TV to go with it.

OK PS5 vs Xbox X?

It comes down to
PS5 - 36 compute units
Xbox - 52 Compute units

I want the xbox.

Now, where to buy one? ... oh, you can't. 🤬

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 08:30:37 PM »
OK PS5 vs Xbox X?

It comes down to
PS5 - 36 compute units
Xbox - 52 Compute units

I want the xbox.
There might be more to it than that. It doesn't matter how powerful your console is if it doesn't have the games you want to play. Nintendo consoles are a great example of that - their hardware is far from powerful, and their games aim at a certain niche. Great for some people, absolutely worthless for some.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 08:56:20 PM »
I think as both are basically PCs this generation, apart from the exclusive launch titles ... 95% of all titles will be x86 PC types that play on PC and play on both consoles. There is no red line exclusive must have game for me. I just don't need a new PC. The one I have has all the power I need for everything ...except games.

Sure, I can get a new GPU, but I have 27" AIO. It's a whole new computer and monitor from here.

I'm thinking xbox and a 48" TV from here. Clean, simple, TV, games, pron ... all in one place and do work from the place I already do it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 09:45:58 PM »
I think as both are basically PCs this generation, apart from the exclusive launch titles ... 95% of all titles will be x86 PC types that play on PC and play on both consoles.
I agree, the architecture is going to be more or less the same. But, historically, there has been some separation between the two brands, an unspoken agreement that they won't step on each other's toes too much. For example, Xbox tends to own the racing games, and PS tends to own the action/adventure genre. Assuming they don't suddenly change their business trends, that's where the choice will really matter.