Rama Set

Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2017, 12:53:19 AM »
... and waiting in the long as fuck queue to get inside. Wonder how long this'll take.

Waiting forever for Star Citizen irl. So meta...

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2017, 01:22:08 AM »
Today I bought a Carrack, the king of exploration vessels, for the measly sum of 350 USD.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/carrack/Carrack

Wait, 350 real life dollars? For a spaceship in a videogame? Are you mad?

If 350 dollars is the "mad" zone then I must be insane beyond any known measurement.

Here's some videos that everyone should watch:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:26:20 AM by Rushy »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »

You forgot the best one.

when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »
Just got home from CitizenCon. It was okay, but not great. It wouldn't have been worth the trip if I didn't live so close to Frankfurt, so I probably won't be going to next year's in LA.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »
Did you experience unparalled immersion?
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2017, 08:08:07 PM »
When ya open your wallet to buy a ship, you damn well better believe you feel immersion.  It's just like real life: all your hard earned money goes to buying ships.
:P
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »

No, idiot. That happens in the game, not the convention.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »

Just got to play 3.0 for a bit. Fuck yeah.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 28, 2017, 09:23:23 PM »

Just got to play 3.0 for a bit. Fuck yeah.

Even in 3.0, the immersion is still paralled. The process of making it unparalled is what keeps delaying the full release.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »
Today I bought a Carrack, the king of exploration vessels, for the measly sum of 350 USD.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/carrack/Carrack

Wait, 350 real life dollars? For a spaceship in a videogame? Are you mad?

If 350 dollars is the "mad" zone then I must be insane beyond any known measurement.

Don't get me wrong, it's your money and if you're getting $350+ worth of entertainment from your ship, then all power to you. I just literally cannot fathom spending that amount of money on an in-game asset which you can lose the second that the servers are switched off.

Out of curiosity, how much have you actually spent on this game?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2017, 04:18:22 PM »
Don't get me wrong, it's your money and if you're getting $350+ worth of entertainment from your ship, then all power to you. I just literally cannot fathom spending that amount of money on an in-game asset which you can lose the second that the servers are switched off.

I don't see how something that disappears when the servers shut off is much different from, say, someone spending a lot of money on fancy dinners or drinks. Do you buy everything you have with the intent to have and use it forever?

As far as how much I've spent on the game goes, let's, uhh, not get into that.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »

I don't see how something that disappears when the servers shut off is much different from, say, someone spending a lot of money on fancy dinners or drinks. Do you buy everything you have with the intent to have and use it forever?

No, but if I'm spending $350 on a dinner, it had better be the best damn dinner of my life. Also, with a dinner or drinks, you know in advance how long the benefits of those are and you accept that. If I buy something then I don't expect it to last forever, but I know roughly how long I expect it to work before it either breaks or I replace it. If I bought a new phone and it broke within a month of buying it I'd be banging down the door of the phone shop for either a replacement or a refund.

Do you have any protection if the servers got switched off tomorrow? (honest question, not trying to point-score)

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2017, 04:48:56 PM »
No, but if I'm spending $350 on a dinner, it had better be the best damn dinner of my life. Also, with a dinner or drinks, you know in advance how long the benefits of those are and you accept that. If I buy something then I don't expect it to last forever, but I know roughly how long I expect it to work before it either breaks or I replace it. If I bought a new phone and it broke within a month of buying it I'd be banging down the door of the phone shop for either a replacement or a refund.

That's a lot of words just to answer my question with a "no".

Do you have any protection if the servers got switched off tomorrow? (honest question, not trying to point-score)

You're honestly asking if a video game comes with actual insurance on the money you spent? The answer is no.

I expect this game to have the lifespan of most MMOs, which is at least a few years. A good MMO may last well over a decade or two when given constant updates. Eve Online and WoW have both passed the decade mark, but for very different reasons.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:50:56 PM by Rushy »

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2017, 07:41:39 PM »
I don't suppose they mentioned VR support?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »

Let's just say that $350 is on the wrong order of magnitude for Rushy.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
I don't suppose they mentioned VR support?

VR support is planned at some undetermined point in the future. All of the game's menus are rendered inside the game, that is, they appear rendered in front of the camera, rather than overlaid on to the player's camera. This should theoretically make it easier to add VR support later. The only problem is that the game takes away player control of the camera a lot. Getting into a ship, getting out of a bed, using certain items, etc. will take away camera control, which is very bad for VR.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2017, 01:39:08 AM »

They see it as donating money to support the development of the game, but they get a fancy digital space ship in return.
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2017, 06:38:03 AM »
How long do you reckon the current vision of the game has been in development? 2-3 years? Because I know when they first started their kickstarter it didn't have even close to the scope that it has now. It could take 4 more years to fully build this bitch out with all of the things they're trying to do. But if they succeed you'll never want to play any other game.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:41:31 AM by Hollocron »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2017, 06:51:11 AM »
How long do you reckon the current vision of the game has been in development? 2-3 years?

Sounds about right.

Because I know when they first started their kickstarter it didn't have even close to the scope that it has now. It could take 4 more years to fully build this bitch out with all of the things they're trying to do. But if they succeed you'll never want to play any other game.

Honestly, it's very difficult to predict future development time because the kind of development remaining after 3.0 gets released is very different from the kind of development done so far.

The reason 3.0 is taking so long is that they are developing the groundwork that will be required to introduce features more rapidly later. An example is their internal tool for creating star systems. Just a couple of years ago they had to position everything manually within CryEngine, which really wasn't designed to handle maps larger than a planet. Now they've done the work to make that easy for designers to do rapidly with a simple UI that automatically handles things like orbital mechanics, using the Stanton system (the only one now playable) as a testbed, which means that future star systems will be done much more quickly than this first one.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter so much how long it takes to create the final game, as they've announced their intention to deliver more regular updates to the alpha after the 3.0 release. I think of it more as something that will gradually improve until it has all the features they want, rather than something that I'm waiting for the completion of. Because you're right, that could take years, but in the meantime we have a playable alpha that will continue to get better with time.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 17, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
I hope they can get through this lawsuit.