« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
They have some strange priorities.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrity picture scandal
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 05:34:35 AM »
My opinion on this matter is the same opinion I have on the ongoing NSA-Snowden leaks. If you don't want it leaked on the internet, DON'T DO IT.

Rama Set

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »
My opinion on this matter is the same opinion I have on the ongoing NSA-Snowden leaks. If you don't want it leaked on the internet, DON'T DO IT.

Meaning the taking of the photo, not the sexy-time?

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »
There are a ton of holier-than-thou articles condemning anyone who looks at the photos, let alone partake in the Fappening. Some even go as far as to call this a sex crime.

Rama Set

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
There is definitely a severe privacy violation, but I can't condemn it any further than that.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
The problem is the item used to take the photo.  It was hacked and the pics downloaded
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »
There are a ton of holier-than-thou articles condemning anyone who looks at the photos, let alone partake in the Fappening. Some even go as far as to call this a sex crime.
Personally I think it's pretty shitty to look at them, but whatever.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12:10 PM »
Personally I think it's pretty shitty to look at them, but whatever.

If you're taking nudies then uploading them onto a cloud service... what do you expect? Like Tom said, if you don't want people to see it... don't do it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »
That's kind of a fucked up mentality though. You're blaming them for having personal sex lives.

Here's the article about it being a sex crime although I don't really agree with that. I do agree that it's not their fault their privacy was invaded but when you're a celebrity you are taking a risk with any nudes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/09/01/jennifer-lawrence-nude-photo-leak-isnt-a-scandal-its-a-sex-crime/

Ghost of V

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 11:23:30 PM »
That's kind of a fucked up mentality though. You're blaming them for having personal sex lives.

Here's the article about it being a sex crime although I don't really agree with that. I do agree that it's not their fault their privacy was invaded but when you're a celebrity you are taking a risk with any nudes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/09/01/jennifer-lawrence-nude-photo-leak-isnt-a-scandal-its-a-sex-crime/

I'm not blaming them from having a sex life at all.  ???

I'm blaming them for being stupid. The internet is not safe. I don't care what apple tells you.

If you want to take nudes, cool. Try to keep them contained though, and by all means do not let them migrate to the web. I understand that their rights were violated according to apple's contract, but boo-hoo. You can't call this a sex crime without calling the actual photos a sex crime.

In a civilized world no one would give a fuck about this and it would be a non-issue.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:26:11 PM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 11:24:57 PM »
I don't blame them for this, it's clearly not their fault. But they do deserve criticism for being so lax with sensitive images, and allowing them to be uploaded to cloud services. Surely you can opt out of such things? Technology can bite you in the ass if you're not careful, hopefully they've learned that.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »
But some people are not very good with technology.

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:05 PM »
It's confirmed. Jennifer Lawrence is all I want or need in the world.

Ghost of V

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »
But some people are not very good with technology.

Sucks for them. Don't mess with something you don't understand.

Technology can bite you in the ass if you're not careful, hopefully they've learned that.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 11:35:10 PM »
I need to know exactly how these pictures were found before I can make a better argument. Did he hack into webcams, cellphones, email?

Ghost of V

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:54 PM »
I need to know exactly how these pictures were found before I can make a better argument. Did he hack into webcams, cellphones, email?

I'm not entirely sure. I've heard mixed things. A popular theory I read was that they were able to hack into their accounts by accessing their phones through an unsecured wi-fi network they were all using at a screening venue.

Here's some more theories.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:46:52 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 11:44:08 PM »
So you're saying that celebrities shouldn't have any expectation to a private life?  ???
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 12:02:57 AM »

I'm not entirely sure. I've heard mixed things. A popular theory I read was that they were able to hack into their accounts by accessing their phones through an unsecured wi-fi network they were all using at a screening venue.

Well if he just guessed passwords then the victim is not at fault at all (unless they gave public hints or something similar). Then it wouldn't be a matter of "learn to technology" and just a matter of them being a high profile celebrity with smart people being dicks. Unfortunately, a lot of celebrities' info is out there so knowing the answer to a security question like "where was your dad born?" is relatively easy to find out.

Ghost of V

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 12:08:50 AM »

Well if he just guessed passwords then the victim is not at fault at all (unless they gave public hints or something similar). Then it wouldn't be a matter of "learn to technology" and just a matter of them being a high profile celebrity with smart people being dicks. Unfortunately, a lot of celebrities' info is out there so knowing the answer to a security question like "where was your dad born?" is relatively easy to find out.

Yes, but that's not necessarily what happened. I think the hacker got control of their phones, their phones already had all their passwords saved, so it was just a matter of browsing their stuff at that point.

Regardless, no one is saying that being hacked was their fault. Getting hacked is no one's fault. Their fault was storing sensitive material on a cloud server.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:45 AM »

Yes, but that's not necessarily what happened. I think the hacker got control of their phones, their phones already had all their passwords saved, so it was just a matter of browsing their stuff at that point.

Regardless, no one is saying that being hacked was their fault. Getting hacked is no one's fault. Their fault was storing sensitive material on a cloud server.
Unless it wasn't stored on the cloud server.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.