Offline jimster

• View Profile
My sunrise plane flight
« on: March 14, 2019, 08:49:15 PM »
In my twenties, a friend (Frank) was making a set of slides to be projected over a rock band for a show and he wanted a sunrise. My roommate (Ron) had a plane and offered to give him a spectacular shot, with custom sunrise amount and multiple tries.

So one morning before dawn, we got up and took off. As we climbed, the sky in the east got brighter. At 10,000 feet, the sun barely peeked over the horizon. Frank took some pictures, asking could he make it a little higher or lower, which Ron did be climbing or diving. As it came up, he went lower and lower, so Frank got many sunrise pictures over a time a lot longer than the usual sunset. When we landed, it was dawn at the airport.

This has a simple explanation on RE, how could I see multiple sunrises by going from 10,000 feet to ground level on FE?
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
Re: My sunrise plane flight
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 03:28:23 AM »
In my twenties, a friend (Frank) was making a set of slides to be projected over a rock band for a show and he wanted a sunrise. My roommate (Ron) had a plane and offered to give him a spectacular shot, with custom sunrise amount and multiple tries.

So one morning before dawn, we got up and took off. As we climbed, the sky in the east got brighter. At 10,000 feet, the sun barely peeked over the horizon. Frank took some pictures, asking could he make it a little higher or lower, which Ron did be climbing or diving. As it came up, he went lower and lower, so Frank got many sunrise pictures over a time a lot longer than the usual sunset. When we landed, it was dawn at the airport.

This has a simple explanation on RE, how could I see multiple sunrises by going from 10,000 feet to ground level on FE?

Equally as simple. The Sun is moving across the sky and Frank is constantly changing the angle of his view. It only fails in a FE model if the Sun is stationary.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

Offline jimster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:07 AM »
Huh? Can you draw a diagram, your words do not communicate any possible way that flying a Cessna Cardinal could change your angle of view of something 3000 (or ?) miles away and far above you. At what angle will it ever be below the horizon?

I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:27:03 AM »
Huh? Can you draw a diagram, your words do not communicate any possible way that flying a Cessna Cardinal could change your angle of view of something 3000 (or ?) miles away and far above you. At what angle will it ever be below the horizon?

I think what you want to know is how a subset can exist at all on a FE, right? So let’s just discuss that and leave the pond skipper out of it. The horizon is where the sky meets the limit of your visual acuity. I am not understanding why you want angles.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 08:54:25 AM »

I think what you want to know is how a subset can exist at all on a FE, right? So let’s just discuss that and leave the pond skipper out of it. The horizon is where the sky meets the limit of your visual acuity. I am not understanding why you want angles.

The same thing could be done at sunset, climbing higher in the plane (taking care not to fly in the direction the sun of course) and bringing the sun back above the horizon, proving that it's not the limit of your visual acuity, vanishing point, or whatever the FE explanation is for this phenomenon. So the angle is important.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:11:53 AM by Balls Dingo »