Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Magnetic Field Line Diagram Help
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:59:24 AM »
I was able to get access to edit the Wiki, and upon review I notice that we are in dire need of illustrations to visualize the magnetic field on a Flat Earth. I think it would be helpful to see diagrams of the magnetic field lines on both the Mono-Pole and Bi-Polar models. I am reaching out to the community to see if we have anyone proficient in graphic design.

The field lines on the Mono-Pole model would look something like this:

The magnetic field lines on the Bi-Polar model would look like the magnetic field lines on a bar magnet, with the poles centered over the North and South Pole.

Essentially something like this, but in 3 dimensions:

An important note: There are no field lines on a magnet which trail off straight into nothingness, they all eventually loop around and connect with the opposite pole, even if in your research you find bar magnet illustrations which have field lines that seemingly extend off of the image into nothingness.

Additional suggestion: Do not underlay a specific flat earth map beneath the models. This would allow the illustration to be a representation of the general model rather than promoting any specific map or continental layout argument.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:06:13 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetic Field Line Diagram Help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:12:02 AM »
The illustrations should also show that the field lines are somewhat vertical in the Arctic and Antarctic circles. The compass does not actually work in those locations, as it attempts to align with the field lines and point downwards into its dish.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field we find the following illustration:

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:29:38 AM »
The illustrations should also show that the field lines are somewhat vertical in the Arctic and Antarctic circles. The compass does not actually work in those locations, as it attempts to align with the field lines and point downwards into its dish.
Do I really have to do this again? Yes, "field lines are somewhat vertical in the Arctic and Antarctic circles.", NO, the compass does work at least over large parts of Antarctica, where the South Magnetic Pole is actually quite a bit outside Antarctica. A compass designed for Antarctica must be used, but magnetic compasses are used for navigation around Antarctica.

I will give a bit from my other post, if you want more see: https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=4550.msg89152#msg89152
Why do you choose a computer simulation of the field lies, and not give actual measurements? Yes, I know the answer to that - you like so many others choose to make the Globe model seem as ridiculous as possible.
Had you given actual figures you would have found that, while the inclination is very high[/b] and declinations very variable the magnetic compass is still a valuable navigation tool over much of Antarctica.
You really should take a look at : http://www.usap.gov/travelAndDeployment/documents/FieldManual-Chapt21AntarcticNavigation.pdf, where it says:
21.2 Magnetic Compasses
Magnetic compasses must be modified for use in polar latitudes by reweighting the needle. As the compass gets closer to the South Pole, the south-seeking end of the needle is pulled downward toward the earth and will drag on its enclosure unless the proper nonmagnetic counterweight (copper wire) is added to the northseeking
end.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Field parties may elect to travel by using a Grid North system (see the “Grid North” section), versus a magnetic or truenorth(1) system.

(1) TrueNorth on the Antarctica grid system is defined as the 0° Longitude Line through Greenwich

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:42 AM »
If you would like to debate on the subject, please take it to another thread. This thread is about visualizations.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »
If you would like to debate on the subject, please take it to another thread. This thread is about visualizations.
Fine by me, but I did think you were trying to give visualisations of the real earth!

You state that "The compass does not actually work in those locations, as it attempts to align with the field lines and point downwards into its dish.",
but as I have stated a number of times the South Magnetic Pole (on the real earth) is not even in Antarctica and a magnetic compass does work over much of the continent, even at McMurdo Station!

But, carry on with you fantasy.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:54:52 AM »
The flat earth magnetic field model,  I understood to be a disk magnet,   like a speaker magnet,  with the North Pole in the middle and the south pole around the edge?

Is this a new version?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:08:10 PM »
Fine by me, but I did think you were trying to give visualisations of the real earth!

You state that "The compass does not actually work in those locations, as it attempts to align with the field lines and point downwards into its dish.",
but as I have stated a number of times the South Magnetic Pole (on the real earth) is not even in Antarctica and a magnetic compass does work over much of the continent, even at McMurdo Station!

I said the Antarctic Circle, not "Antarctica".

The flat earth magnetic field model,  I understood to be a disk magnet,   like a speaker magnet,  with the North Pole in the middle and the south pole around the edge?

Is this a new version?

Can you show me what you mean? I couldn't find a type of disc magnet that would look how it would need it to.

From https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=magswitch

Axially magnetized disc magnet in free space

Diametrically Magnetized Disc Magnet

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:10:24 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:42:13 PM »
I was able to get access to edit the Wiki
I don't think you meant to make that impression, but you're making it sound like some sort of achievement. You sent me a one-sentence PM asking for access ("Hello, I would like to request access to the Wiki."), and after about an hour I responded with your username and password.

As a general PSA: Wiki contributors are always welcome. Any super-major changes should be discussed publicly, but "common sense" edits can be performed straight away.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 12:10:00 AM »

I said the Antarctic Circle, not "Antarctica".
I stand by what I said. Over most of the area inside Antarctic Circle a properly designed and adjusted magnetic compass does work. There is a very large inclination, compensated by weighting (the actual force is very small!), and a very large and variable declination (variation) which is reasonably well mapped.  I can give maps of these if you wish.
At present the South Magnetic Pole (dip pole - vertical field) is at 64.2°S 136.4°E, not even within the Antarctic Circle.
This makes "The field lines on the Mono-Pole model would look something like this" grossly inaccurate for the real world. If you are trying t visualise a magnetic field for the flat earth, please make sure it looks something like reality.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 12:44:08 AM »
rabinoz:

Tom, I don't want to make any promises, but I'll see what I can do. My work schedule is very tight these days, but I'll play around with the idea of making a 3D model at some point.

If others would like to have a go, please do. I'll probably take ages to deliver.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:46:31 AM by SexWarrior »

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:01:29 AM »

Can you show me what you mean? I couldn't find a type of disc magnet that would look how it would need it to.

Like this.

Dissassemble an old speaker and remove the magnet,  then you can sprinkle iron filings on a sheet of paper to visualise the field.

I think it more closely resembles the popular flat earth model.  ( albeit wrong :) )

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:09:58 AM by Rayzor »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 06:49:34 AM »
Apparently I forgot that I should sleep tonight. Full disclosure: I have no idea what I'm doing with 3D modelling, so I'm more or less just hitting my computer with a rock until it listens to me.

Tom, is this roughly what you're looking for? I've included a map for the time being because it seems to simply look better that way. Personally, I'd be in favour of just slapping a "not to scale" disclaimer on the image, but if the consensus is that we don't want a map, I'm happy to produce an alternative version. I can also attempt other changes, so long as we keep my limited competence in this area in mind.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:53:55 AM by SexWarrior »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 08:39:05 AM »
That is a decent image, thank you. I really like the positioning of the field lines.

If I had any suggestions, they would be as follows:

1. Perhaps make the field lines thinner

2. Try either a teal or orange color for the lines

3. Maybe try a version which is not transparent, and we can just see the field line coming out of the earth on top. Lets see how that would look.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:56:33 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Daguerrohype

• ISBN-10: 0552133256
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »
Yes Tom, quite right. Real magnetic field lines are always either orange or teal-coloured.

Consider this a warning to myself, not to post low-content in the upper fora.
Big Smiley Face

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:52:38 PM »
All right, I'll play with it some more this weekend and post more variants. We could perhaps have a transparent and non-transparent versions side by side, or an animated transition between the two.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 04:54:22 PM »
Yes Tom, quite right. Real magnetic field lines are always either orange or teal-coloured.

Consider this a warning to myself, not to post low-content in the upper fora.

Let's just go ahead and make this official, shall we?

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 09:19:05 AM »
Only thing I see wrong, is that you have the south pole underneath the earth,  rather than around the rim,  like a speaker magnet.   The problem with the diagram as drawn, is that compasses in the southern hemisphere would be wrong.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 10:00:05 PM »
All right, here's attempt #2:

EDIT: And a couple of variants that I originally discarded, but then I thought I might show them anyway:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:24:32 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 03:48:25 AM »
That's great, I like it.