Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #240 on: June 22, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »
Arya is not a warrior. She was denying him the gift of a mercy kill which is true to her character.

« Reply #241 on: June 22, 2014, 05:29:54 PM »
Her character didn't develop while she spent the whole season with the Hound?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
I don't understand the question. She did develop, but it's not like she fell in love with him. I always thought it seemed like he grew to respect her rather than the other way around. I don't think you understand Arya very well. She's incredibly cold and calculated, she's got the makings for an assassin. She knows he's dying but she doesn't want to give him the luxury of an easy death. Everyone else she killed was quick because she's a little girl and if she didn't kill them quick then they would kill her. The Hound was in no position to fight back so she could just leave him knowing he would die.

Or she's giving him a small chance at life, however you want to look at it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:42:48 PM by rooster »

« Reply #243 on: June 22, 2014, 07:18:29 PM »
In the book Arya had already removed the Hound from the list of people she wanted to kill, so I assumed that she genuinely didn't want to kill him. It was more ambiguous in the series though.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
In the book Arya had already removed the Hound from the list of people she wanted to kill, so I assumed that she genuinely didn't want to kill him. It was more ambiguous in the series though.
And what I wrote is how I choose to interpret it. I think all it does it speed up the assassin plotline a little.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2014, 11:44:01 PM »
I felt as though they had this love/hate thing going on and it was pretty obvious they were sorry of bonding.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2014, 12:05:52 AM »
I think respect was forming, but the Hound did things that kept her from liking him altogether. Remember, she still tried to kill him when he gave her the chance.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »
I don't understand the question. She did develop, but it's not like she fell in love with him. I always thought it seemed like he grew to respect her rather than the other way around. I don't think you understand Arya very well. She's incredibly cold and calculated, she's got the makings for an assassin. She knows he's dying but she doesn't want to give him the luxury of an easy death. Everyone else she killed was quick because she's a little girl and if she didn't kill them quick then they would kill her. The Hound was in no position to fight back so she could just leave him knowing he would die.

Or she's giving him a small chance at life, however you want to look at it.

She's a pretty shitty assassin if she didn't make sure he was dead.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 23, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »
Spoilers.

She's not an assassin yet. I'm just saying it's setting her character up for it.

« Reply #249 on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
Er, Arya spoilers below.

For all we know she'll be mucking around in Braavos forever, much like Dany in Slaver's bay. The place she's at never says anything about faceless men and none of them show the face swapping powers. I always found it kind of weird how she just stumbles into the supposed training ground of the faceless men and learns to become one. Her character is pretty interesting there though, how she employs her blind vengeance and is punished for it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »
The show moves faster than the book so who knows how much time will be spent mucking around.

« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
Arya is not a warrior. She was denying him the gift of a mercy kill which is true to her character.

Assassins code then. Jaqen seemed to have some kind of respect for his enemies, if that's who she's suppsoed to be emulating. *shrugs* She should have said something, you know to make it clear why she's doing the thing she's doing.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2014, 02:17:03 AM »
I don't know.  Arya's spiteful.  She's vindictive.  I thought it fit well with her character that she let the Hound suffer rather than give him mercy.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »
It looks like Lady Stoneheart won't be in the series then.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2014, 02:09:26 AM »
I'll link to an article so that people know what we're talking about:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/263756/speedreads-no-lady-stoneheart-wont-be-appearing-in-game-of-thrones

I suppose it's always a possibility that she's wrong, or that maybe she's lying (there are some people in the entertainment industry who apparently think it's okay to outright lie to fans about what's coming up next, it's a terrible trend and it needs to stop), but assuming that it's true, this is bad.  Admittedly, Stoneheart hasn't had much impact on the story of the books yet, and I have no idea if she'll be particularly important in later books, but returning to the subject of how well stuff translates to screen - yeah, here's one thing that the show definitely could do, and do really well.

« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2014, 02:37:16 AM »
Yeah it's getting to the stage where I'm probably going to stop watching the show. Not including LSH doesn't make sense for a lot of different reasons.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2014, 05:36:46 AM »
Yeah it's getting to the stage where I'm probably going to stop watching the show.

lolfirstworldproblems

« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2014, 07:10:40 AM »
I'm gonna stop torrenting it. Take THAT HBO!

« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
I don't think LSH is a big loss, she's barely featured in the books, but I wonder what else is going to be removed. I reckon the little Griff storyline will be left out. I'm pretty doubtful that the rest of the Greyjoys will be introduced either.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
She doesn't do a whole lot but her existence is pretty important.