Offline Action80

• View Profile
Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #1340 on: August 17, 2023, 03:59:44 AM »
Just so you guys know, the latest scandal rocking Biden's world is that his press secretary accidentally tweeted something from her own account that looks like it was supposed to have been sent from Biden's account instead, which proves that Biden...has a comms team, like literally any other politician in the world. I guess that's a bad thing when you're used to Trump's spontaneous shitposting.
Brandon - "No comment."

ETA - Nobody gives a good goddamn about the idiot press secretary.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 11:20:57 AM by Action80 »
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 17, 2023, 04:24:00 AM »
Just so you guys know, the latest scandal rocking Biden's world is that his press secretary accidentally tweeted something from her own account that looks like it was supposed to have been sent from Biden's account instead, which proves that Biden...has a comms team, like literally any other politician in the world. I guess that's a bad thing when you're used to Trump's spontaneous shitposting.

WHAT?!
Fuck him!
I want my president to be on twitter, not delegating that so he can do other things.  His tweets are the only real thing about him.  And if they aren't real then I have no choice then to vote for a president who takes his tweeting seriously.  Like more seriously than being president!
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 18, 2023, 12:57:48 AM »

WHAT?!
Fuck him!
I want my president to be on twitter, not delegating that so he can do other things.  His tweets are the only real thing about him.  And if they aren't real then I have no choice then to vote for a president who takes his tweeting seriously.  Like more seriously than being president!
I agree.  If someone isn't constantly posting their every random thought in real time...  Covfefe
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 10, 2023, 07:30:51 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 08:53:19 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: September 10, 2023, 08:49:15 PM »
Imagine having to pretend that this is normal

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 11, 2023, 07:38:49 AM »

Yes, he's old and shouldn't be president.  Honestly, once you get to your 70s, you really shouldn't be president.

Tho the piano music was distracting.  Why would they put that in? (They being the maker of the video clip)

-edit-
Ok the piano was from the event.
And apparently... it was actually over before he fielded unrelated questions.  Watch the full video.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?530300-1/president-biden-holds-press-conference-vietnam

He finishes up with "I don't don't know about you but I'm going to bed".
Which would usually signal the end of the press conference.  But he started fielding more questions.

So... yeah.  Seems pretty normal.  You got time limits and jetlag is a bitch.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 07:47:47 AM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 11, 2023, 10:38:26 AM »
You understand that Trump will be older than Biden is now at the end of his term if he becomes the next president?
Trump does seem more "with it" than Biden, admittedly - there's other reasons I wouldn't want him being US president. But the whole idea of you electing guys in their 70s to run the country is ludicrous. It has to be one of the most stressful jobs in the country, and you're giving it to people who in pretty much any other career would be long since retired and for good reason - no-one is as sharp in their 70s as they are in their prime.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: September 14, 2023, 02:37:04 PM »
You seem to be mistaking age with competency. Here is Donald Trump to set you straight:

« Reply #1348 on: September 14, 2023, 03:21:48 PM »
Trump does seem more "with it" than Biden, admittedly
Not sure about that.  With Biden's (life long) speech impediment and Trump's (life long) MO of just making stuff up (who knows if he believes it or not), its hard to tell.

- there's other reasons I wouldn't want him being US president. But the whole idea of you electing guys in their 70s to run the country is ludicrous. It has to be one of the most stressful jobs in the country, and you're giving it to people who in pretty much any other career would be long since retired and for good reason - no-one is as sharp in their 70s as they are in their prime.
You got that right.  I liked Romney's retirement announcement about being time for the baby boomers to make way for a new generation.   I wish Biden would pass the torch.
The contents of the GPS NAV message is the time of transmission and the orbital location of the transmitter at that time. If the transmitters are not where they claim to be GPS would not work.  Since it does work the transmitters must in fact be in orbit, which means the earth is round.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 14, 2023, 03:48:14 PM »
You seem to be mistaking age with competency.
I'm not, but there is some correlation between those two things. No-one is as sharp in their late 70s as they are at their prime.

Here is Donald Trump to set you straight
Well, he's nice and impartial. I note he doesn't cite which poll so is this just more stuff he's just making up? He does do that, you know.

Does he mean this poll, maybe?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/28/biden-voters-age

More than three-quarters of respondents in a new US poll said Joe Biden would be too old to be effective if re-elected president next year.
But as many people in the survey said the 80-year-old Biden was “old” and “confused”, so a similar number saw his 77-year-old likely challenger, Donald Trump, as “corrupt” and “dishonest”.

So yeah, a lot of people to think Biden is too old. I'm one of them. I happen to think Trump is too, not as many people agree with that but they're not exactly giving ringing endorsement of him either. Only his cult members are doing that.

Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: September 15, 2023, 05:18:25 PM »
I'm not, but there is some correlation between those two things. No-one is as sharp in their late 70s as they are at their prime.

It depends what you are measuring. After adulthood fluid intelligence decreases as you age, but crystalized intelligence increases as you age - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8809681/

"Population-average declines are observed across adulthood for fluid abilities, whereas population average increases are observed through the seventh decade of life for crystallized abilities (8, 9)."

For example, a young person might be better at adapting to the mechanics of a new video game than an older person. But for an existing skill like social interaction and the ability to use it to your advantage, an old person is much better at navigating social dynamics and utilizing social manipulation as a tool than a young person, as they have had more time to hone those skills, and will tend to dominate in that aspect. And it's not just social pressures to submit to old people. They are objectively better in areas like that. Managers in their 60's tend to dominate in business over managers in their 30's and 40's, who should presumably be more capable due to youth and stage of maturity, but are not and still have a lot to learn.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:55:58 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 16, 2023, 05:10:09 AM »

It depends what you are measuring. After adulthood fluid intelligence decreases as you age, but crystalized intelligence increases as you age - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8809681/

"Population-average declines are observed across adulthood for fluid abilities, whereas population average increases are observed through the seventh decade of life for crystallized abilities (8, 9)."

For example, a young person might be better at adapting to the mechanics of new video game than an older person. But for an existing skill like social interaction and the ability to use it to your advantage, an old person is much better at navigating social dynamics and utilizing social manipulation as a tool than a young person, as they have had more time to hone those skills, and will tend to dominate in that aspect. And it's not just social pressures to submit to old people. They are objectively better in areas like that. Managers in their 60's tend to dominate in business over managers in their 30's and 40's, who should presumably be more capable due to youth and stage of maturity, but are not and still have a lot to learn.

This is largely the problem.
The 70 year old politicians are so crystalized in their opinions and intelligence that new things ,like the internet, is hard to grasp and make law for.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 17, 2023, 01:35:43 AM »
In the past decade the people have had the opportunity to elect someone younger with those qualities. Plenty of younger people have run.

The problem is that if you compare these people directly, one younger person with new knowledge like knowledge of the internet, and an older person with the experiential skills of a manager, the later wins for the position.

Tech-bros ran in 2016, 2020, and will be running in 2024. Vivek Ramaswamy is a 38 year old pharma and finance-bro with a science degree and new knowledge, who is running right now. He also has a JD, and has started his own successful companies. By all accounts he appears to be a very smart and accomplished individual.

Unfortunately he will not win because the skills of an older manager outshine what he has to bring to the table. He is currently lagging behind Trump and DeSantis in the polls, and is presently fighting Mike Pence and Nikki Haley for third place deep down near the sixth percentile.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:06:31 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 17, 2023, 06:30:06 AM »
In the past decade the people have had the opportunity to elect someone younger with those qualities. Plenty of younger people have run.

The problem is that if you compare these people directly, one younger person with new knowledge like knowledge of the internet, and an older person with the experiential skills of a manager, the later wins for the position.

Tech-bros ran in 2016, 2020, and will be running in 2024. Vivek Ramaswamy is a 38 year old pharma and finance-bro with a science degree and new knowledge, who is running right now. He also has a JD, and has started his own successful companies. By all accounts he appears to be a very smart and accomplished individual.

Unfortunately he will not win because the skills of an older manager outshine what he has to bring to the table. He is currently lagging behind Trump and DeSantis in the polls, and is presently fighting Mike Pence and Nikki Haley for third place deep down near the sixth percentile.

But you are forgetting something: Brand recognition.  I've never heard if Vivek.  And if I know nothing about him, why would I vote for him?  How would he even get on the ballot?

I couldn't find the rules with a quick google but I think he needs a certain percentage in the polls to be on the primary ballot.
So if he isn't a household name, few who votes in the primary is gonna vote for him. 

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 17, 2023, 04:26:59 PM »
I couldn't find the rules with a quick google but I think he needs a certain percentage in the polls to be on the primary ballot.
So if he isn't a household name, few who votes in the primary is gonna vote for him.
The rules vary by state, but usually involve filing petitions with a number of signatures with the state election board.
https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_for_presidential_candidates
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 17, 2023, 05:41:15 PM »
But you are forgetting something: Brand recognition.  I've never heard if Vivek.  And if I know nothing about him, why would I vote for him?  How would he even get on the ballot?

You have to gain some organic momentum first and get a number of signatures and show of support. As a rising star you attend party conventions and are eligible to participate in the presidential debates.

Vivek met all of that and is one of the contenders in the televised mainstream debates, and has already participated in one GOP presidential debate. He went from zero point zero in the polls to ranking about third place, neck-in-neck and just above Mike Pence and Nikki Hailey. There will be more debates and the lowest people will be cast off the island until there is one remaining winner who typically becomes the GOP presidential nominee.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:52:46 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 17, 2023, 09:01:26 PM »

You have to gain some organic momentum first and get a number of signatures and show of support. As a rising star you attend party conventions and are eligible to participate in the presidential debates.

Vivek met all of that and is one of the contenders in the televised mainstream debates, and has already participated in one GOP presidential debate. He went from zero point zero in the polls to ranking about third place, neck-in-neck and just above Mike Pence and Nikki Hailey. There will be more debates and the lowest people will be cast off the island until there is one remaining winner who typically becomes the GOP presidential nominee.
Indeed.  But regardless of his skills or ideas, he will be drowned out by the name Donald Trump in the media.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 19, 2023, 04:17:31 AM »
I don't see how that factors. Joe Biden is mentioned plenty of times in the media, yet remains unpopular in general and in his own party, and a large percentage want someone else to be the nominee.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 19, 2023, 04:19:46 AM »
And he's not going to be primaried.  Thank you two party system....
And one does not need to be popular to drown out others.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 19, 2023, 04:13:52 PM »