Re: Ancient Aliens
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 03:45:23 PM »
Our DNA is very similar to most other mammals on earth. We don't seem very alien at all.
Of course it's similar, but not completely.

We're hybrids!

Ghost of V

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »
I know who Hubbard is - I just don't know how much of Scientology is about aliens building pyramids or Pumapunku which is what "Ancient Aliens" refers to.

Not much, if any at all. Xenu and all the alien stuff is Scientology's mythology, similar to any religion's mythology. It's really no different than Mormonism's Kolob (star world). The fact that these religions incorporate aliens into their mythology is interesting, which is the only reason I know so much about the two. Although I don't know if I'd call Scientology a religion, it is more like a cult than anything else. I bought Dianetics about 6 years ago and read half of it. I couldn't finish it, I don't remember why... I probably just got bored. But it's pretty much Scientology's holy-book, and it reads like a complex fictional narrative, similar to Hubbard's other books. I did, however, find Scientology's use of aliens in their creation myth more unique and especially more believable than a omnipotent God creating everything.

There's actually a sect of Scientology called "Free Zone" that practice the "religion" without influence from the Church of Scientology (because they're fucking nuts). Free Zone practices what's in Dianetics, which not surprisingly, the CoS strongly deviates from yet still claims that they are following Hubbard's vision. They're not wrong, since Hubbard's actions speak louder than his words, but Dianetics practically condemns the Church of Scientology in it's current exploitative state. I'm fairly convinced Hubbard wrote Dianetics as a part of a larger fictional series, but then something clicked in his brain and he decided to turn it into a psuedo UFO cult text.

Dianetics is not in any way covered by legislation anywhere, for no law can prevent one man sitting down and telling another man his troubles, and if anyone wants a monopoly on dianetics, be assured that he wants it for reasons which have to do not with dianetics but with profit.

—L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health (1950)

It's almost like Hubbard didn't even know what he wrote in Dianetics, since his actions after forming the religion were largely inspired by avarice.

Anyways, I'll stop now. This is off-topic, and the whole entire thread should probably be moved anyways since it has nothing to do with FET.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:02:12 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »
What about all the smooth stones that are almost perfectly flat at Pumapunka and the pyramids? How did they get them so smooth without using modern technology.
First, the pyramids are not perfectly smooth or perfectly flat. It depends on which pyramid you're referring to in order for me to go more in detail, but none of them are perfect.

As for Pumapunku, there are a lot of unfinished stones and tools at the site that clearly show how they made them. You don't have to have modern technology to place stones on top of each other to give them the same angle cut or use sand to smooth them. And their dimensions are not all perfectly uniform though Däniken would say otherwise.

Today's technology has a hard time making some of the things from ancient times. How did ancient civilizations make it?
I'm not even sure where you got that. We can recreate these sites using even their old methods. It would just take a long time and a lot of work. People have proven it can be done on smaller scales, though you might have a hard time finding anyone who wants to completely recreate the Great Pyramid using ancient techniques just for the hell of it.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
Is the term "ancient aliens" something that colloquially means aliens that visited earth in Antiquity?  If not, what's the difference between ancient aliens and contemporary aliens?

Ghost of V

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »
Is the term "ancient aliens" something that colloquially means aliens that visited earth in Antiquity?  If not, what's the difference between ancient aliens and contemporary aliens?

Ancient aliens refers to the theory that aliens came to us during ancient times. That's it. There are several deviations depending on who you ask. Some believe that they simply influenced our lives by posing as Gods, making people make complex structures that were at the time impossible (according to some people...), and everything that comes with that.

Some ancient alien theorists will go as far to say that we were planted here by aliens, and that human life actually originates on another planet. Sort of like panspermia, but with aliens instead of meteorites.

That being said, any ancient alien theorist will claim that modern UFO sightings are probably the same aliens that came to us during ancient times. So to them, the two things (ancient aliens, contemporary aliens) are probably the same.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:12:55 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »
Is the term "ancient aliens" something that colloquially means aliens that visited earth in Antiquity?
Yes. Ancient aliens refers to the theory that aliens came to Earth during ancient times and built the ancient marvels. It's the only way some ignorant people can wrap their heads around ancient civilizations building wonderful things. Because to them ancient = unintelligent and incapable.

Ghost of V

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
Ancient aliens is a terrible scam created by a known con artist.

Are you referring to Erich von Däniken?

If not, who?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 05:23:04 PM »

If not, who?
Yes, that's what I said in my comment after that one.

Ghost of V

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 05:24:50 PM »

If not, who?

Shit, that's probably why I shouldn't skip around in a thread. Anyways, I have to agree with you. Most of his work is stolen and adapted from other authors without giving credit to said authors.

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »

If not, who?

Shit, that's probably why I shouldn't skip around in a thread. Anyways, I have to agree with you. Most of his work is stolen and adapted from other authors without giving credit to said authors.
Exactly... just because one guy might be a con artist doesn't mean that the rest of the theorists are as well either. I have other examples of how there are unexplained "man-made" monuments but I'm at work and typing on my phone is tedious. I will expand later.

As far as modern aliens go, I don't hold the belief that they are the same as those who visited in ancient times. One thing we do know is that NASA and other government agencies are covering it up, along with everything else.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:34:35 PM by rigilkent »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
I have other examples of how there are unexplained "man-made" monuments but I'm at work and typing on my phone is tedious. I will expand later.
"Unexplained" means you haven't researched the content. You haven't looked at archaeological or historical evidence. You just see something and go "well, gosh golly how did they do that? It must be aliens."

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
I have other examples of how there are unexplained "man-made" monuments but I'm at work and typing on my phone is tedious. I will expand later.
"Unexplained" means you haven't researched the content. You haven't looked at archaeological or historical evidence. You just see something and go "well, gosh golly how did they do that? It must be aliens."
Incorrect. It means that they have been researched, and they are still unexplained. Like I said, I'll elaborate later.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 08:34:12 PM »
Okay, well even if we didn't know how everything happened back then - why do you think that would mean aliens were involved? It just means that documentation doesn't exist. For everything you think is unexplained there are academic theories and rationalizations that don't include aliens.

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »
There are clues if you look deep enough. Just like there are clues that the Earth is flat.

We can't rely on "satellite" pictures of round earth, because we all know that they are faked and/or doctored. How do we know that NASA or some other government agencies, superior groups, et al. isn't in on a global conspiracy where they place these tools in strategic locations to throw us all off? If they can fool all of these people into being roundies, then why couldn't they fake that ancient civilizations didn't actually make these structures. They're doing the same thing they've always done: lying.

What's the point of the Nazca lines if that civilization didn't have the technology to see them from high above? That's the only way you can tell what designs they are.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
Was the Statue of Liberty built with reference images from high in the sky? Or was it first sketched and then built to scale with calculations?

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 12:11:38 AM »
Was the Statue of Liberty built with reference images from high in the sky? Or was it first sketched and then built to scale with calculations?
The difference being that the statue of liberty stands upright and has aesthetic value to those on the ground whereas the Nazca lines don't.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 12:31:44 AM »
The difference being that the statue of liberty stands upright and has aesthetic value to those on the ground whereas the Nazca lines don't.
Funny.
Regarding the Nazca Lines specifically, here's the first sentence under the history heading on the wiki page:
Contrary to the popular belief that the lines and figures can only be seen with the aid of flight, they are visible from atop the surrounding foothills

And about geoglyphs in general, just because it might not have aesthetic value doesn't mean it's meant for aliens.
as recent research has shown that most were not constructed primarily as art, but were rather built to serve a range of purposes including burial sites and funerary customs, aiding in the trapping of migratory animals, and as cleared areas for camps, houses and animal enclosures

Before you say anything further, why don't you first just take a quick glance at the wiki page and save my time.

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 12:59:26 AM »
Funny.
Regarding the Nazca Lines specifically, here's the first sentence under the history heading on the wiki page:
Contrary to the popular belief that the lines and figures can only be seen with the aid of flight, they are visible from atop the surrounding foothills

And about geoglyphs in general, just because it might not have aesthetic value doesn't mean it's meant for aliens.
as recent research has shown that most were not constructed primarily as art, but were rather built to serve a range of purposes including burial sites and funerary customs, aiding in the trapping of migratory animals, and as cleared areas for camps, houses and animal enclosures

Before you say anything further, why don't you first just take a quick glance at the wiki page and save my time.
Good job quoting Wikipedia, a site funded by NASA and other agencies. 

What time zone are you in? It must be amateur hour over there. 

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 01:08:46 AM »
Well then do your own research. I ain't got time to go pull some academic papers on these subjects, which I have definitely done before. The burden of proof is on you and you're just going by some shitty History channel tv show - which guess what? Is also produced by liars.

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 01:15:45 AM »
Well then do your own research. I ain't got time to go pull some academic papers on these subjects, which I have definitely done before. The burden of proof is on you and you're just going by some shitty History channel tv show - which guess what? Is also produced by liars.
I've said I've seen the show. My beliefs were before the show existed, and I never said I believe everything on it. There are plenty of "academic" papers about Round Earth theory, exponentially more than there are about ancient aliens -- doesn't mean it's true.