Ghost of V

Re: Anime thread
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
Ans also, why miss any of it? Just watch dubbed and you won't have to divide your attention at all.

But dubs suck.

Dubs are objectively better than subs.

This.

God tyou people are dum

Just about. I don't sit so close to my screen that, when reading subtitles, I can't see the rest of the screen as well. You shouldn't do that, it's silly. And, I don't know if you guys are amazingly slow readers or if I'm just fast, but all I need to do is glance at them then go back to watching. During that glance, however, I still see the show.

Sure, but you don't process it as efficiently as the dub master race. I'd argue that you haven't even watched an anime if you watched it subbed. That's how much you're missing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:51:33 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »
But dubs suck. I don't even know what the point of this conversation is. Do subs detract from the viewing experience? Yes, slightly. But then again, dubs are terrible, so it doesn't matter all that much.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
Inuyasha was my first favorite anime and it was dubbed on cartoon network. When I later rewatched it subbed I realized how much of the story I was missing.

Do I care about not giving my full attention to an anime mouth moving? No. But I care about missing the story and the real dialogue. And I care about American voices coming from what are clearly Japanese characters.

Ghost of V

« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2014, 06:14:55 PM »
dubs are terrible

Do you have a source for this? Maybe some examples? For every bad English dub, I can show you an equally terrible sounding Japanese language dub. Stop being an elitist. If you're watching subs, then you're not watching anime. You're partially watching it. To fully watch something you have to watch it in your own language, regardless of dub quality. Dub quality is subjective, while subs distracting from the action is not subjective: that's what subs do. Subs negatively impact the viewing experience. Period.

Subs are terrible for distracting the viewer and ruining immersion by having to divide your attention between what's going on and small white letters at the bottom of the screw. I can actually support my argument. Can you?

Inuyasha was my first favorite anime and it was dubbed on cartoon network. When I later rewatched it subbed I realized how much of the story I was missing.

Nice personal anecdote. Has no bearing on this discussion however.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »
Okay, name one good English dub.

Ghost of V

« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
Okay, name one good English dub.

A few have already been discussed in this thread. I believe it's a few posts back.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
No, I want you to name one.

Ghost of V

« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »

Why? What's the point? Do you not understand what subjective means?  ???

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »
How does it have no bearing? Dubs butcher a story and dialogue. That's completely relevant.

And we've already said it doesn't ruin immersion.
You literally forget you're reading anything at all. Honky white voices coming out of characters wearing kimonos and wielding katanas ruins immersion.

Ghost of V

« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
How does it have no bearing? Dubs butcher a story and dialogue. That's completely relevant.

No they don't.

Whether you notice it or not, you're not catching every frame. Therefore, the optimal way to watch anime is to watch it in your native language without subs so that you can focus your full attention on the artwork (which is one of the main draws of anime).

There is actually anime that benefits from dubs.

Hetalia: Axis Powers, for example. Every character represents a nation of the Earth. In the Japanese version, there are no accents for these characters... in the English dub there are appropriate accents for the characters, which adds to the viewing experience.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:32:03 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »

Sorry, is this a hard question? I'm just curious, name one.

Ghost of V

« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »

::)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »

No they don't.

Depends.  Funimation is known for this.  What they do is make the dub dialog fit the mouth movements.  Watch the dubbed with subtitles, especially of Inuyasha and you'll see some radically different dialog inconsistencies.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »

No they don't.

Depends.  Funimation is known for this.  What they do is make the dub dialog fit the mouth movements.  Watch the dubbed with subtitles, especially of Inuyasha and you'll see some radically different dialog inconsistencies.

If you're watching Funimation anime then your tastes are already questionable.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »

::)

What's the matter? I just want to know what, in your opinion, is a good English dub. You do believe they exist, correct?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
Yes, dubs do butcher stories. And if they don't then they look retarded cause they don't fit the mouth movements at all. But it's one or the other.

And if you're watching Hetalia you're definitely not watching it for the artwork...

Ghost of V

« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2014, 06:40:27 PM »
Yes, dubs do butcher stories. And if they don't then they look retarded cause they don't fit the mouth movements at all. But it's one or the other.

Why? This happens in native-English cartoons as well. It's just something that you have to deal with when you're watching something that's animated. Japanese dubs don't even go along with mouth movements all the time. Your point is moot.

List of good English dubs (imo, subjective remember?):
Cowboy Bebop
Hetalia
Monster
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
FLCL
Ghost in the Shell
Every Studio Ghibli film
MS Gundam: 08th MS Team
Ms Gundam: War in the Pocket
Samurai Champloo
Death Note
Code Geass
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Do I have to keep going, Blanko? You satisfied? I'm interested in your witty retort to this baited answer.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:58:10 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2014, 06:42:26 PM »
Just about. I don't sit so close to my screen that, when reading subtitles, I can't see the rest of the screen as well. You shouldn't do that, it's silly. And, I don't know if you guys are amazingly slow readers or if I'm just fast, but all I need to do is glance at them then go back to watching. During that glance, however, I still see the show.
Sure, but you don't process it as efficiently as the dub master race. I'd argue that you haven't even watched an anime if you watched it subbed. That's how much you're missing.
I don't know why I thought you might not just be trying to be Rushy.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »

Why? This happens in native-English cartoons as well. It's just something that you have to deal with when you're watching something that's animated. Japanese dubs don't even go along with mouth movements all the time. Your point is moot.
What? That made no sense. The animation is drawn for the script...

If dubs stick to the real script then they'll be speaking when there is no mouth movement at all. It's completely noticeable and stupid.

« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »
I am not surprised Blanko takes the hipster weeaboo stance on this one.

List of good English dubs (imo, subjective remember?):
Cowboy Bebop
Hetalia
Monster
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
FLCL
Ghost in the Shell
Every Studio Ghibli
MS Gundam: 08th MS Team
Ms Gundam: War in the Pocket
Samurai Champloo
Death Note
Code Geass

Do I have to keep going, Blanko? You satisfied? I'm interested in your witty retort to this baited answer.

I thought FMA:B was a pretty good dub as well.