Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Joan Rivers
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
Well that's the thing, Robin Williams appealed largely to the generation that is presently dominating social media, it's no surprise his death was treated as a big deal on the internet while that of Joan Rivers was just kind of "old woman who was on tv dies or something".

Well, also because Robin Williams has more of a reputation as a really nice, gentle person, whereas Joan Rivers kind of has the reputation of being crass and horrible. A lot of the "eh" is from people who are aware of who she is.

That said, I'm still really sad that someone died, but yeah, it doesn't affect me that much because I've never been a fan. Still. :[
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »
Exactly, Snupes.

I'm aware of who she was, Crudblud. the news still shocked me a little cause someone died. But she had no influence on me.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
Well that's the thing, Robin Williams appealed largely to the generation that is presently dominating social media, it's no surprise his death was treated as a big deal on the internet while that of Joan Rivers was just kind of "old woman who was on tv dies or something".

Also, Robin Williams killed himself. Joan Rivers died out of operation complications. I think that's already a pretty major difference right there.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
People are more than entitled to believe Robin William's life was worth more than hers.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »

Ghost of V

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »
People are more than entitled to believe Robin William's life was worth more than hers.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 06:09:01 PM »
Well yeah, people can believe he was more important. There are people in your life that are more important or influential than others. If some guy in, let's say Norway, gets hit by a bus. You never met him, or heard of his name, or anything before, and I told you he got hit by a bus, you wouldn't really care at all. That's not double standards, its just it ultimately has no impact on your life and therefore is meaningless.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »
Celebrity is often confused with importance.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.