Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
It's all very well to generate publicity, but what is the media going to make of this place? What exactly has been done here to qualify this "society" as a serious contender to the old one? Tintagel is quite right when she suggests some actual work ought to be done first.

I think a nice new annotated edition of Zetetic Astronomy is a cool idea. Or maybe something relatively inexpensive, like a campaign to revamp and really flesh out the wiki, compile Flat Earth literature like Daniel did, release regular (or semi-regular) articles explaining individual aspects of FET in a detailed yet accessible fashion, or maybe addressing the latest NASA press release (NASAwatch - "we watch globularist propaganda so you don't have to"?), pointing out exactly why we know they're full of shit. I'm sure some of us would be more than happy to volunteer in any such projects. The council might even hammer out some kind of distinct manifesto, outlining the precise principles and goals of the society.

A slightly different logo and a well-run forum isn't quite enough to distinguish one organization from another. Of course, it'd be a little easier if there was some variation in the name; the "Universal Zetetic Society" would be good, lending itself to the claim of being the rightful successor to Blount, Carpenter, and Rowbotham, but it just isn't as catchy or recognizable as the "Flat Earth Society". It will have to be entirely the efforts of the members here to set this place apart.

Just moving this conversation to another thread to avoid derailing.

Just a list of ideas:

• Improving the Wiki
  • Improving the FAQ
  • Regularly updated Flat Earth Society Blog
  • Annotated ENaG
  • Official summaries/collection of Flat Earth Theory

The Council should take the lead in actually doing these things.

Once the Council is fully fleshed out in its purpose I'll write a blog post about it, and then another when the constitution is finished.

The Wiki and FAQ can be done right now. If you don't already have a account, ask Pizza for one.

Any more ideas? Also, we should start a volunteer list. If you're willing to help with any of these things, or something else entirely, let us know in this thread.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Five Year Plan for the Improved Status of the Flat Earth Society
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:54:48 AM »
It's all very well to generate publicity, but what is the media going to make of this place? What exactly has been done here to qualify this "society" as a serious contender to the old one? Tintagel is quite right when she suggests some actual work ought to be done first.

I think a nice new annotated edition of Zetetic Astronomy is a cool idea. Or maybe something relatively inexpensive, like a campaign to revamp and really flesh out the wiki, compile Flat Earth literature like Daniel did, release regular (or semi-regular) articles explaining individual aspects of FET in a detailed yet accessible fashion, or maybe addressing the latest NASA press release (NASAwatch - "we watch globularist propaganda so you don't have to"?), pointing out exactly why we know they're full of shit. I'm sure some of us would be more than happy to volunteer in any such projects. The council might even hammer out some kind of distinct manifesto, outlining the precise principles and goals of the society.

A slightly different logo and a well-run forum isn't quite enough to distinguish one organization from another. Of course, it'd be a little easier if there was some variation in the name; the "Universal Zetetic Society" would be good, lending itself to the claim of being the rightful successor to Blount, Carpenter, and Rowbotham, but it just isn't as catchy or recognizable as the "Flat Earth Society". It will have to be entirely the efforts of the members here to set this place apart.

Just moving this conversation to another thread to avoid derailing.

Just a list of ideas:

• Improving the Wiki
  • Improving the FAQ
  • Regularly updated Flat Earth Society Blog
  • Annotated ENaG
  • Official summaries/collection of Flat Earth Theory

The Council should take the lead in actually doing these things.

Once the Council is fully fleshed out in its purpose I'll write a blog post about it, and then another when the constitution is finished.

The Wiki and FAQ can be done right now. If you don't already have a account, ask Pizza for one.

Any more ideas? Also, we should start a volunteer list. If you're willing to help with any of these things, or something else entirely, let us know in this thread.

I volunteer as tribute.

I'm actively working on tracts/leaflets/other sort of grassroots promotional paraphernalia.  I am happy to help in any other way that I can. 

Here are three (tentative) tract topics to begin with:

"Do People Really Believe the Earth Is Flat?" - A sort of introduction to the society, rather than the theory.  Explaining the history of the society from Rowbotham to Blount to Shenton, Johnson, and finally the modern incarnation.  In short, the crux is "Yes, we do.  Come learn why."

"How Does Sunrise Work on a Flat Earth?" - A short-form FAQ explaining sunrise, sunset, the primary geographical details of the two major models, and a very brief explanation of the flat earth cosmos.  The call to action: "Have more questions?  Come ask us."

"Sailing off the Edge - Is the Earth Really Flat?" - A sort of 'short story' following a round-earth believer's journey from amusement to incredulity to intrigue and, finally, acceptance of the truth about earth's shape.  Do we have any illustrators?  May be fun to make this one a comic. 

Feedback is welcome, particularly from the council, as the messaging here reflects on them more so than the rest of us.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:15 AM »
I can't wait to see how many of you will still be around in five years.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:15:13 AM by Blanko »

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:55:03 AM »
I believe someone in the PR thread also suggested a name change to help differentiate us from the old site.  I actually don't think this is a bad idea at all.  As a fan of Lady Blount, Universal Zetetic Society appeals, but the lack of "Flat Earth" in the name would obfuscate purpose and render us a bit more inaccessible to an audience. 

It's not a decision I'd take lightly at all, but it should maybe be discussed. 

International Flat Earth Research Society lends itself to a handy acronym: InFERS
On the other hand, something as simple as "Modern Flat Earth Society" or "The New Flat Earth Society" may create enough differentiation without a drastic change.

(To be clear, I'm not trying to tread on the council's toes.  I care about the FES, so when I have ideas I want to share them.  The council and community may do what it will with them.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:13:15 PM by Tintagel »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:01:20 AM »
How about actually HAVING those podcasts that Daniel promised, but only did 4 of? I mean, look, I'm a Rounder because no one taught me different. What about having a membership & dues? I mean, hell, lets be serious! & no, I'm NOT joking. The CPUSA has 2,000 members nation-wide. That's it! But we are a full-fledged national party. Surely the FES (or whatever you want to call it) being world-wide, could do the same!

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »
What about having a membership & dues?

I believe the council are discussing this, actually, but before we can collect dues we'll need to appoint a treasurer and institute some by-laws, at the very least.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »
I can't wait to see how many of you will still be around in five years.

You better see how many in 1 year first.
God is real.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:13:59 PM »
I believe someone in the PR thread also suggested a name change to help differentiate us from the old site.  I actually don't think this is a bad idea at all.  As a fan of Lady Blount, Universal Zetetic Society appeals, but the lack of "Flat Earth" in the name would obfuscate purpose and render us a bit more inaccessible to an audience. 

International Flat Earth Research Society lends itself to a handy acronym: InFERS
On the other hand, something as simple as "Flat Earth Society" or "The New Flat Earth Society" may create enough differentiation without a drastic change.

How about "The Independent Flat Earth Society"? It manages to add further emphasis on the freedom of thought and general autonomy of the organization, while also being reminiscent of the old Independent Labour Party (the party of George Orwell) that maintained a principled separation from the Labour Party.

Simple, effective, and there's a precedent for the convention.  I like it.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 04:48:25 AM »
Tract #1.  Print and distribute. 

It's laid out such that, if centered on a page (should work on A4 or US letter), you can print one copy, flip that page over along the long edge, feed it back into the printer, and print a second copy.  This will give you two front-and-back prints of the tract you can cut and fold.

PDF version:
http://library.tfes.org/tract/TFES_Tract_1.pdf

Image (PNG) version:
http://library.tfes.org/tract/TFES_Tract_1.png

If anything needs to change let me know.  Stay tuned, more of these are coming :)

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:36 PM »

On the other hand, something as simple as "Flat Earth Society" or "The New Flat Earth Society" may create enough differentiation without a drastic change.

How about "The Independent Flat Earth Society"? It manages to add further emphasis on the freedom of thought and general autonomy of the organization, while also being reminiscent of the old Independent Labour Party (the party of George Orwell) that maintained a principled separation from the Labour Party.

Is there any more discussion around this idea?  Before more promotional materials happen it'd be good to know if we want to change the name or not. :)

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 11:56:41 PM »
I think a name change for its own sake might be a bad idea. At the very least, it would have to be approved by the council. If you guys want to nominate a name change I'll make a thread about it in the ZC board, but I promise nothing.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »
I think a name change for its own sake might be a bad idea. At the very least, it would have to be approved by the council. If you guys want to nominate a name change I'll make a thread about it in the ZC board, but I promise nothing.

Oh certainly it's a council decision.  Just trying to keep cogs turning before we lose momentum, is all :)

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »
I think a name change for its own sake might be a bad idea.
How about an name change in order to avoid confusion between this FES, Daniel's FES and the Alaska.net FES?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 02:21:27 AM »
I think a name change for its own sake might be a bad idea.
How about an name change in order to avoid confusion between this FES, Daniel's FES and the Alaska.net FES?
I do agree that something to differentiate us from the other organizations named The Flat Earth Society will help eliminate confusion in that regard. 

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 03:31:19 AM »
Idea: The Flat Earth Academy of Sciences

A Think Tank dedicated to the advancement of earth science and the Zetetic Philosophy. As a sister organization to the Flat Earth Society the academy collects, organizes, and publishes scientific material pertaining to the movement.

Whereas the Flat Earth Society is a basic forum where newcomers go for basic discussion, the Flat Earth Academy of Sciences is where they go when they graduate. It is a place for higher level debate, and provides a venue for its members to publish research, organize projects, and speak with other Flat Earthers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:36:08 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 03:50:25 AM »

A Think Tank dedicated to the advancement of earth science and the Zetetic Philosophy. As a sister organization to the Flat Earth Society the academy collects, organizes, and publishes scientific material pertaining to the movement.

Whereas the Flat Earth Society is a basic forum where newcomers go for basic discussion, the Flat Earth Academy of Sciences is where they go when they graduate. It is a place for higher level debate, and provides a venue for its members to publish research, organize projects, and speak with other Flat Earthers.
Wow, that's a pretty sweeping change.  Not that I disagree, we do have the superior minds (certain trolls notwithstanding).  Would probably warrant a total revamp of our forum to reflect the more serious focus, but that's not a bad thing.  I'm not a council member but for whatever my opinion's worth, I like this line of thinking.

Re: the name, Flat Earth Academy of Terrestrial Sciences has a lovely acronym in FEATS.  I tend to look for acronyms.  :)

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 04:18:19 AM »
For what it's worth, Tom's idea is brilliant. An idea: Daniel did 4 podcasts, & promised more. I listened to them, even saved them to my hard drive. They were interesting, but off topic. Perhaps we could offer things like that. I know I spend a lot of time in the Lower Fora lately, but I'm going to come back topside for a bit. This idea of taking the FES more seriously seems a good one to me. If we could do what Tom is suggesting, offer on-topic podcasts, publish literature, & so-forth, we could really bust some heads!

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:53:08 AM »

How about: The Flat Earth Academy of Zetetic Arts and Sciences
Then again, having "science" in the name might be a bit misleading or confusing because of the philosophical differences between science and zeteticism.

You aren't trying to push your diploma mill again, are you Tom?

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »

How about: The Flat Earth Academy of Zetetic Arts and Sciences
Then again, having "science" in the name might be a bit misleading or confusing because of the philosophical differences between science and zeteticism.

I believe James used to call himself a Zetetic Scientist. If he of all people is okay with it, it's probably alright. "The Flat Earth Academy of Zetetic Sciences" might be better, though. After all, what exactly is a zetetic art?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:48:23 PM by Tausami »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »
After all, what exactly is a zetetic art?
Art that proceeds by inquiry.  Art that makes you think.  Something like a picture that demonstrates bendy light or perspective that allows the sun to appear to set below a flat earth horizon.  You certainly can't accurately depict a flat earth with traditional art.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:35:05 PM by markjo »