Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
Re: Server Build
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 04:42:09 AM »

I built this on my server
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 04:51:53 AM »
You should make a Vongeo
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 05:22:58 AM »
Well, at least my thread made it to page two before falling apart.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 05:24:46 AM »
On occasion, I have to build custom storage servers for my data center. They are usually for archive data that doesn't get accessed that often, but retention requirements make it so the data must be around for 10 years.
Just out of curiosity, have you considered tape or optical media for a nearline or offline storage solution?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 05:33:16 AM »
I was about to lol at markjo for suggesting junker store tons of terabytes on tape, but I guess I'm the one who is dumb. Apparently a tape solution isn't just viable, it's laughably cheaper than a live storage array.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ultrium-800GB-Cartridge-LTX800G/dp/B000QEGJH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422595896&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+ultrium+tape

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
On occasion, I have to build custom storage servers for my data center. They are usually for archive data that doesn't get accessed that often, but retention requirements make it so the data must be around for 10 years.
Just out of curiosity, have you considered tape or optical media for a nearline or offline storage solution?

That is how medical images used to be archived. While the media is cheap, the size of the autoloader needed is insanely expensive. Tape media is also a pain to track, and isn't the most reliable when you actually need to recover data. I haven't used tape in any form since about 2008 and I am okay with that. The data also needs to be readily available for two years or so, as the applications can call on the data at any time until the pointers are purged from the database. It is a complicated mess, but I have implemented a cost-effective solution for the needs of the company.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:03:50 AM by junker »