Car in Space
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:31:45 AM »
Space X did a live stream of a car being launched into space on a rocket. In the video the earth is clearly round. Why/how would they fake this?

Re: Car in Space
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
I've been reading this forum for a while now, but I came here today to ask exactly the same question.

This launch was viewed by thousands of people. A skyscraper sized rocket definately took off, there's no faking that. The internet is flooded today with people sharing their stories and pictures of seeing the rocket in various stages of flight - I've even seen pictures of the night sky with the 2nd stage burn showing up like a comet, in exactly the time and place where it should be. Furthermore, thousands of people saw two of the rocket cores land softly on their pads, ready for reuse.

The live stream video syncs perfectly with all ground-based observations, and shows the rocket flying up out of the atmosphere and releasing Elon Musk's beautiful cherry red Tesla Roadster, which can still be seen now drifting further and further away from a distinctly spherical earth.

Surely this about wraps it up for the so called Flat Earth Theory?

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
I've been reading this forum for a while now, but I came here today to ask exactly the same question.

This launch was viewed by thousands of people. A skyscraper sized rocket definately took off, there's no faking that. The internet is flooded today with people sharing their stories and pictures of seeing the rocket in various stages of flight - I've even seen pictures of the night sky with the 2nd stage burn showing up like a comet, in exactly the time and place where it should be. Furthermore, thousands of people saw two of the rocket cores land softly on their pads, ready for reuse.

The live stream video syncs perfectly with all ground-based observations, and shows the rocket flying up out of the atmosphere and releasing Elon Musk's beautiful cherry red Tesla Roadster, which can still be seen now drifting further and further away from a distinctly spherical earth.

Surely this about wraps it up for the so called Flat Earth Theory?

Unfortunately, it won't.

There has been sufficient proof given for the shape of the earth that has been continuously ignored, discounted or claimed to be fake by flat earth believers. One more nail won't make a difference.

Primarily because I expect this bit of proof to be called fake.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 12:51:04 PM »
Unfortunately, it won't.

There has been sufficient proof given for the shape of the earth that has been continuously ignored, discounted or claimed to be fake by flat earth believers. One more nail won't make a difference.

Primarily because I expect this bit of proof to be called fake.
Well, it has to be called fake. What other explanation is there if you're going to cling on to the idea of a flat earth?
There is no level of proof they will accept, some of them have just staked too much on it and cognitive dissonance simply won't let them.
The "prove" themselves right by ignoring the evidence and proof which shows them wrong and ignoring all the gaping holes in their model.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »
There will be no nail in the coffin of flat Earth because humans have an unsurpassed ability to lie to themselves. I feel a little bad for them because the launch and recovery of the rockets was really amazing to watch.

Speaking specifically about the live feed of the car, it isn't a NASA thing, so what reason would there be for Musk to do a live feed of his car as it floats in space? Is he trying to perpetuate the round Earth lie?? lol
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Rama Set

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »
No, Elon Musk did a live stream of his car for publicity, that should be obvious. This is a business venture for him. Now why he would fake it is less obvious but if I wanted to put myself in the conspiracy mindset, I could devise a couple of reasons.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »
No, Elon Musk did a live stream of his car for publicity, that should be obvious. This is a business venture for him. Now why he would fake it is less obvious but if I wanted to put myself in the conspiracy mindset, I could devise a couple of reasons.

I should have been more specific. In the real world, it is obvious why he did it. I was thinking from a strictly FE perspective. NASA supposedly fakes live feeds to keep up the charade. Why would Musk go through the expense of faking a live feed to keep up the FE nonsense?
-Terry50

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »
Elon Musk did a live stream of his car for publicity, that should be obvious. This is a business venture for him.

He built and publicly launched a 1500 tonne, 70m high rocket, sending it at least far enough into the sky to fool the thousands of civilian onlookers. This is absolutely undeniable.

You're suggesting he did that just as a marketting stunt for a car brand that already has several hundred thousand buyers signed up to a waiting list, with deposits paid?

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »
Elon Musk did a live stream of his car for publicity, that should be obvious. This is a business venture for him.

He built and publicly launched a 1500 tonne, 70m high rocket, sending it at least far enough into the sky to fool the thousands of civilian onlookers. This is absolutely undeniable.

You're suggesting he did that just as a marketting stunt for a car brand that already has several hundred thousand buyers signed up to a waiting list, with deposits paid?
No. It's a marketing stunt for SpaceX. To drum up interest in it, and convince investors it's a working product/company to enable more money/funds to come in. Remember, the core (where the car was ostensibly launched from) crashed back to Earth at 300 mph according to SpaceX. Thus providing suitable means to hide the fact nothing actually left the atmosphere. Presuming you're a conspiracy theorist ofc. There's nothing new here that can't be waved away by/under the umbrella of conspiracy.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »

That’s why the car was onboard, yes. The rocket was launched to test their rocket technology and it appears to work swimmingly. Does anyone know what is next for SpaceX? Are they one of the companies planning an imminent lunar mission?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 03:09:15 PM »
I see Pete has put something on the home page along the lines of "Just because I saw it on the internet, doesn't mean it's true".
To be fair, that is correct.
But this isn't some wild rumour, the rocket went up somewhere, there were plenty of witnesses.
The live stream could be CGI but as others have said why would he bother?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 03:20:09 PM »
I see Pete has put something on the home page along the lines of "Just because I saw it on the internet, doesn't mean it's true".
To be fair, that is correct.
But this isn't some wild rumour, the rocket went up somewhere, there were plenty of witnesses.
The live stream could be CGI but as others have said why would he bother?

In typical conspiracy theorist style, he took a quote about Musk out of context.

Even Steve Wozniak has remarked that ‘[he doesn't] believe anything [Musk] says’.

This was in relation to features for the Tesla and not that he doesn't believe Musk in general. Very poor form, Pete.
-Terry50

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 03:31:49 PM »
Not to mention that whether or not Steve Wozniacki believes Elon Musk is irrelevant to claims that Elon Musk makes. Lots of people don’t believe dietary fat is healthy for you, including doctors, and guess what? They’re wrong! Same could be true of Wozniacki; it’s just a fallacious appeal to authority.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 03:35:38 PM »
It's like the old FE standby about all NASA photos of the whole earth being Photoshopped which is wrong in two ways
a) No they aren't, there are genuine photos of the whole earth from space, but some are indeed composites
b) Composite != Fake. What do you think your phone is doing when it creates a panoramic, it's compositing a load of photos together. That doesn't make the end result fake.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
To be clear, the intention of that post was not to assert that it's false (though you can guess my thoughts on the matter). It is mostly an appeal to the immense number of people who contacted me (mostly on Facebook and Twitter) to take things with more caution. If, after evaluating the material carefully, they personally decide that it's of value to them, fine. But it's not the "gotcha!" many think it is.

This was in relation to features for the Tesla and not that he doesn't believe Musk in general.
Of course. It was not for one moment my intention to suggest that Wozniak said "omg the Earth is flat!" - merely to point out that corporations don't even trust one another. I provided a link to the source for those who want to read it in its full context.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:56:17 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »
To be clear, the intention of that post was not to assert that it's false (though you can guess my thoughts on the matter). It is mostly an appeal to the immense number of people who contacted me (mostly on Facebook and Twitter) to take things with more caution. If, after evaluating the material carefully, they personally decide that it's of value to them, fine. But it's not the "gotcha!" many think it is.
Things online definitely need to be taken with caution - I don't know if you saw the Trump "Tweet" about the Dow Jones amid the recent fall:

Well, that really is fake news although it was initially intended as a joke apparently

https://www.snopes.com/did-trump-tweet-president-dow-joans/

So yes, things online should be checked. But this launch isn't just some internet rumour, the launch clearly happened. Whether it went where it's claimed or if the live feed is genuine are more up for debate.

I'm interested though, yes I can guess what your thoughts are but do you have any basis for thinking it's faked? As clarified above, the Wozniak quote is in the context of Tesla features Musk promised. I don't think Wozniak has expressed any doubt that this launch is genuine.

It seems to me the FE mentality is "the earth is flat, ergo anything showing it isn't must be fake" rather than "OK, I thought the earth was flat but this launch could show I'm mistaken, let's look in to that to see whether there's evidence of fakery". You assume fakery without basis rather than considering you may be mistaken. That is how it comes across anyway.

Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 04:20:12 PM »
It's a gotcha piece in the same way that every other rocket launch is. You get put in checkmate, say 'everyone can evaluate the material for themselves', and insist the game is still on. But space travel is real, the conspiracy is false, and the Earth is not flat.

Start at 26:35 to see uninterrupted footage from the side boosters during reentry.

Then, watch other film taken by onlookers:

</3

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 04:26:04 PM »
I actually saw a Shuttle launch once by the way. In real life.
Was quite a long way away, some beach about 8 or 9 miles away - think that's about as close as you get without paying.
Just happened to be in Florida when a launch was scheduled - we actually should have missed it but it got delayed because of the weather or something.
Anyway, the point is: it was amazing. Because we were so far away it took quite a while for the sound to reach us and then there was a deep rumble like a subway (Underground, for fellow Londoners) train going under your feet.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »
That's fine. You guys saw what you saw, you reached your own conclusions. I may disagree, but I see no issue with disagreeing.

Of course the game is still on. The Flat Earth Movement is growing rapidly.

As for the Wozniak quote, my reading of the article goes along the ways of "I used to believe what Musk says, then I caught him lying about Teslas once. Fool me once, yadda yadda, but then it happened again. Now I no longer trust anything Musk says". It is absolutely subject to interpretation - that's why I chose to provide the link to the full article. I gave you the tools to determine for yourself whether or not you agree with my interpretation - and if you don't, that's cool.

As an aside: I'd just like to say that I appreciate you guys keeping this debate within appropriate threads. I was worried that the Announcements thread would get spammed to oblivion, but so far you proved me wrong.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:40:37 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 04:41:54 PM »
It seems to me the FE mentality is "the earth is flat, ergo anything showing it isn't must be fake" rather than "OK, I thought the earth was flat but this launch could show I'm mistaken, let's look in to that to see whether there's evidence of fakery". You assume fakery without basis rather than considering you may be mistaken. That is how it comes across anyway.
I'm just putting the link to this in my signature at this point. Yes, this is the FES view on things. This is the official stance on it outlined in the wiki. Until one of them comes out and clarifies this to mean something different, this is your starting point. This is why photos have no value, why experiments done by most of the people here have no apparent value, why any information presented or set forth that has not been personally seen by an FE'er will continue to have no value. Because the Earth is clearly flat, so anything that presents it as otherwise is clearly fake.

That said, I'm waiting eagerly to see just what people will attempt to take issue with in some of these videos tbh. TFES doesn't need to touch this part, there's plenty of non-FE NASAphobes that will deconstruct these videos to 'prove' them fake. While waiting though, I would love to see any sort of rationale posted by someone in TFES for how they know these videos are faked. Other than the whole 'showing a round Earth' thing ofc.