Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: Old Politicians
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 05:12:35 PM »
Points 3 and 4 represent the creation of fundamentally new technologies. The Digital Age in on point 5 represents people doing the same things they were already doing, but on a computer.

For someone to say that a personal computer or even the internet was not revolutionary is insane.

We went from the Harvard Mark I in the 40's:

To this, way more powerful, in the oughts:

And that's not revolutionary?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 05:28:32 PM »
Know what's funny?

Tom would have actually added the Transistor and hailed it as the greatest had he actually read the date it was invented:1947.

But he chose to bash it.  Poor, poor tom, showing his bias yet again.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 06:13:13 PM »
Americans love toting that they won WW2.  So much so that thry ignore literally everyone else who fought in it.  Hell, America wouldn't have won without fhe british canadian, french resistance, russian, and many other nations working together and dividing German forces.
Actually, it's the other way around.  The Brits, Canadians, etc., were losing both world wars until the US came to the rescue.   8)

Yes and it took all of them.
The US, were they alone, would have lost.

Where are all these Americans claiming we single-handedly won WWII? I'm honestly not sure they exist. Everybody learned about the Axis and Allied Powers in school. Stop trying to make us look bad, Dave.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 06:49:27 PM »
Americans love toting that they won WW2.  So much so that thry ignore literally everyone else who fought in it.  Hell, America wouldn't have won without fhe british canadian, french resistance, russian, and many other nations working together and dividing German forces.
Actually, it's the other way around.  The Brits, Canadians, etc., were losing both world wars until the US came to the rescue.   8)

Where are all these Americans claiming we single-handedly won WWII? I'm honestly not sure they exist. Everybody learned about the Axis and Allied Powers in school. Stop trying to make us look bad, Dave.

Know what I learned in school?  That we basically saved the day.  That we're the heroes.  Everyone else was so marginalized, Its hard to grasp they did anything at all.  Especially with all the movies and games about WW2
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2022, 06:55:38 PM »
Yeah.  It's unfortunate that Russia doesn't have a real film industry.  I would love to see ww2 war movies from their perspective.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 07:08:16 PM »
Yeah.  It's unfortunate that Russia doesn't have a real film industry.  I would love to see ww2 war movies from their perspective.

Jude Law, Ed Harris and some other people would like a word.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2022, 08:34:53 PM »

Know what I learned in school?  That we basically saved the day.  That we're the heroes.

I mean, we did, and we are, but that's besides the point. You didn't learn anything about Churchill in school? The crushing Russian victories over the Germans?

Maybe you just went to a really shitty school?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2022, 08:59:50 PM »
Yeaah, I don't think we single handedly won the war either and I went to school in the south. I mostly learned that we were assholes until it directly affected us.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2022, 09:21:49 PM »

Know what I learned in school?  That we basically saved the day.  That we're the heroes.

I mean, we did, and we are, but that's besides the point. You didn't learn anything about Churchill in school? The crushing Russian victories over the Germans?

A little about Churchill, and we learned that Russians retreated and burned everything so the Germans would be fucked come winter.  Thats... Basically it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2022, 11:43:58 PM »
It doesn't take that much effort to find an American sporting a "BACK-TO-BACK WORLD WAR WINNERS!!1!!!" t-shirt with a bald eagle carrying 5 guns in the background. They sell them at WalMart, and cheaply.

Perhaps you just live in an extremely sheltered part of the country? As a litmus test - how surprised were you by Trump's 2016 election?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2022, 12:28:40 AM »
Banners too!

Only $9.99 on Amazon

However, the muscle tee is probably more 'Merica worthy...

Though at $20.99 I'm not sure it's affordable to most of Florida.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2022, 12:48:42 AM »
haha I've never seen one of those shirts before. It doesn't surprise me, but it's not as prevalent as you guys are making it seem.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2022, 05:23:30 AM »

They'd just show a gazillion Russian army soldiers blasting away Germans with only a few token losses.

BillO

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2022, 05:35:21 AM »
As a litmus test - how surprised were you by Trump's 2016 election?
LOL!

BillO

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2022, 05:45:30 AM »
How do these practically zombified 70-80 year olds conduct political business?

Sorry for being late to this game.

Age has nothing to do with it, unless you are old enough to be dead.  There is precious little difference between politicians and whores.  Politicians sell themselves for favors, whores sell them selves for money.  The whores come out ahead.  Political favors have the life span of a mayfly.  Money rules.  So politicians play their little games endlessly thinking they are doin' stuff.  They aren't.  It usually amounts to rhetoric and media ops.  Anyone from 8 to 88 can deal with it.  The real power is not in the public arena.  Let the conspiracies flow...

Offline ohplease

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2022, 06:12:58 AM »

They'd just show a gazillion Russian army soldiers blasting away Germans with only a few token losses.
Maybe, but maybe not.  Russian losses are well established as the most of any nation in either world war, its not even close.  That (from what little I know about it) is well incorporated into the Russian Heroic stories the nation (like all nations) tells itself.  In their case it is that they defeated the Germans by making a huge Russian sacrifice (and are "owed").
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 07:24:10 AM by ohplease »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2022, 03:13:51 PM »
Points 3 and 4 represent the creation of fundamentally new technologies. The Digital Age in on point 5 represents people doing the same things they were already doing, but on a computer.

For someone to say that a personal computer or even the internet was not revolutionary is insane.

Actually I did say it was revolutionary. I also said that it wasn't as important as the technologies that revolutionized society in the early to mid 1900's.

My main criticism was that the applications used are largely just digital replicas of things which already existed. People already had encyclopedias in their homes and had library passes. People already could compose documents, order things from catalogues, and send letters and notes to each other. Now you can do all of that on a computer with emojis. It provided a convenient platform, but people were still doing the same things they were doing before.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:35:16 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2022, 03:58:37 PM »

Actually I did say it was revolutionary. I also said that it wasn't as important as the technologies that revolutionized society in the early to mid 1900's.

My main criticism was that the applications used are largely just digital replicas of things which already existed. People already had encyclopedias in their homes and had library passes. People already could compose documents, order things from catalogues, and send letters and notes to each other. Now you can do all of that on a computer with emojis. It provided a convenient platform, but people were still doing the same things they were doing before.

If thats the criteria then, well, none of the tech you listed is revolutionary either.

Automobile: we already used horses.  Cars were just us moving faster and longer. 
Radio: we already could send messages wirelessly via sound waves.  So this was just doing it with another wave.
Airplanes: we already had hot air balloons.  Putting a fan on the front to move isn't a big change.
Etc...

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2022, 04:35:05 PM »
tom i hate to burst your bubble, but people born in the first half of the 20th century didn't actually invent books, libraries, and post offices. those things have been around for some time.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2022, 04:44:14 PM »
If thats the criteria then, well, none of the tech you listed is revolutionary either.

Automobile: we already used horses.  Cars were just us moving faster and longer. 
Radio: we already could send messages wirelessly via sound waves.  So this was just doing it with another wave.
Airplanes: we already had hot air balloons.  Putting a fan on the front to move isn't a big change.
Etc...

Correct. On their own those technologies weren't that big of a change. But if you combine radio, television, telephone, automobile, airplane, automated manufacturing, home appliances, it becomes a very significant change to human society in that era. We were comparing that era to the modern era. I specified that the era and time period represented a period of new useful technologies and impactful change to society, as compared to recent years in which it has been less so.

tom i hate to burst your bubble, but people born in the first half of the 20th century didn't actually invent books, libraries, and post offices. those things have been around for some time.

I did not claim that the early 20th century invented language and the written word. The invention of language and the written word was arguably even more important than the revolutions to society between the early to mid 1900's.

Humanity has been making less important revolutions and inventions as time goes on.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 05:21:15 PM by Tom Bishop »