Small sun
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:27:11 AM »
Hello,
so, I was reading on how the earth is actually flat, and your explanation for time zones and well, night and day, is that the sun is actually very small, and goes around on a circle, illuminating the right parts of the earth, to allow night and day.
One huge problem with this is that it would mean that the sun is a spotlight, a cylinder spotlight, and doesn't cast light in any other direction, which not only is kinda impossible, but also kinda ridiculous.
Did the explanation change during the years or is this still in effect?

Thanks

Offline Unsure101

• View Profile
Re: Small sun
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
Hello,
so, I was reading on how the earth is actually flat, and your explanation for time zones and well, night and day, is that the sun is actually very small, and goes around on a circle, illuminating the right parts of the earth, to allow night and day.
One huge problem with this is that it would mean that the sun is a spotlight, a cylinder spotlight, and doesn't cast light in any other direction, which not only is kinda impossible, but also kinda ridiculous.

Thanks
Depends who you ask, some say that the sun is a spotlight but would then appear as an eclipse as it sets, others say it is a globe, but would then cast light all over a flat earth.

Seems only a globe earth orbiting the sun completely explains what we observe...

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
I like how only you answered, I (like 90% of people) know that the earth is round, but I wanted to hear how they would explain this stuff.
I also tried another forum, they still have to answer me.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »
Nobody really knows.  Nobody pretends to have absolute proof either. 

I believe the sun is the focal point of energy rays that reflect down from the parabolic curvature of the firmament.  What we see as the transition from dusk to night to dawn to day to dusk again is a huge rainbow that is cycling over and above us. 
I also believe that the reflective surface of the firmament varies with the movement of the sun. 

By the way, the sun does more than rotate around the pole.  It rises up and down as well as in and out. 
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »

I believe the sun is the focal point of energy rays that reflect down from the parabolic curvature of the firmament.  What we see as the transition from dusk to night to dawn to day to dusk again is a huge rainbow that is cycling over and above us. 
I also believe that the reflective surface of the firmament varies with the movement of the sun. 

By the way, the sun does more than rotate around the pole.  It rises up and down as well as in and out.

I think you're being a bit misleading there.
When you say nobody really knows you should say, flat earthers don't really know.
Flat earthers haven't been able to come up with something that actually fits reality yet but that hasn't stopped many of them claiming to have absolute proof.

When you say you believe that it's rainbows bouncing off the invisible moving reflecting shield in the sky, out of curiosity, are you actually basing that on anything other than the idea just popped in to your head? I mean any kind of experiment at all.

Oh and you should try to be consistent with your errr theory. It's not the sun that's going up and down in and out. It's just a different part of the shield in the sky that is currently bouncing rainbows off it.

Offline Unsure101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »
Invisible reflective thing? Would love to know the physics of that one...

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »
I like how only you answered, I (like 90% of people) know that the earth is round, but I wanted to hear how they would explain this stuff.

Seems like the answer your question depends on which flat earther answers. Some say "It's not a spotlight but it acts like a spotlight"........If you can figure out what that means. Different answers say anywhere from 100 to 3000 miles above the earth and all  the stars are tiny specks of light just behind the sun and just below the dome over the earth........et cetera, et cetera , and so forth.

I have also read that the moon gets its light "from a shadow from the sun".......I would like to know how that works, too.

Is it any wonder some people think these websites are just "spoofs"   ??????

Read my signature for clues about these websites. Have fun. LOL
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:09:33 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:30:18 AM »

Gee! Just who is your scriptwriter?
I want one that can make up pure fiction like that without the slightest hint of evidence,
not even a quote from "the Wiki" or chapter and verse from the "SacredTexts"!

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 01:50:21 AM »

Seems like the answer your question depends on which flat earther answers. Some say "It's not a spotlight but it acts like a spotlight"........If you can figure out what that means. Different answers say anywhere from 100 to 3000 miles above the earth and all  the stars are tiny specks of light just behind the sun and just below the dome over the earth........et cetera, et cetera , and so forth.

I have also read that the moon gets its light "from a shadow from the sun".......I would like to know how that works, too.

I have tried vainly to get any sense at all on this matter. Here is a bit of another post and reply from Tom Bishop:
The sun shines light from all directions on its surface. It's not a lamp. It's light is limited in its duration across the earth's surface because of the not-perfectly-transparent atmosphere, and its decent(sic) into the surface is an illusion of perspective.
The sun and moon at a level of about 3000 miles above the earth are not within the atmosphere of the earth, and so the light between those two objects is unimpeded.
Quote from: the Wiki
How do you explain day/night cycles and seasons?
Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves.
It unequivocally says The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves. And  ;D Junker says we should consult the Wiki!  ;D
"the Wiki, ultimate authority" or "Tom Bishop, Zetetic Council Member"
Quote from: Tom Bishop

Quote from: rabinoz
[1] A "a shadow from the sun illuminating", a shadow illuminating, really? Some better wording is surely called for!
[2] The Wiki also says the moon "wobbles" up and down, but I fail to see how a "wobble" can help with the moon some 12,000 miles from the sun.
[3] Remember we are assured that "a natural shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time." So, presumably the moon gets its illumination from the sun.
In the sentence "When one observes the phases of the moon he sees the moon's day and night, a shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time"  it clearly says that the sun is the thing doing the illuminating in that sentence. The words sun and illuminating are directly next to each other, while shadow and illuminating are not. We've explained this to you several times now.

Well, I did not get far. I was trying to find out how:
  • Even the person directly under the moon could ever see a full moon.
  • Everyone, in the 50% of earth that can see the full moon, sees almost[1] exactly the same full moon, though with differing orientation.

The whole sorry episode can be found in Why should anyone believe the earth is flat? « Reply #81 on: March 17, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »

[1] A slight parallax change means an almost imperceptible change in the moon's apparent phase.

geckothegeek

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 03:07:25 AM »

Gee! Just who is your scriptwriter?
I want one that can make up pure fiction like that without the slightest hint of evidence,
not even a quote from "the Wiki" or chapter and verse from the "SacredTexts"!

I believe Samuel Birley Rowbotham, PhD,MD (also known as Dr. S. Birley and Parallax) was at least one of the flat earth scriptwiters ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:12:27 AM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 03:09:48 AM »
Invisible reflective thing? Would love to know the physics of that one...

Dracula was an iinvisible reflective thing ?

geckothegeek

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 03:20:18 AM »

Rises up and down from what ?
In and out of what ?
An illustration or drawing would be most educational and informative !

geckothegeek

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 03:36:13 AM »

I have tried vainly to get any sense at all on this matter. Here is a bit of another post and reply from Tom Bishop:
The sun shines light from all directions on its surface. It's not a lamp. It's light is limited in its duration across the earth's surface because of the not-perfectly-transparent atmosphere, and its decent(sic) into the surface is an illusion of perspective.
The sun and moon at a level of about 3000 miles above the earth are not within the atmosphere of the earth, and so the light between those two objects is unimpeded.
Quote from: the Wiki
How do you explain day/night cycles and seasons?
Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves.
It unequivocally says The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves. And  ;D Junker says we should consult the Wiki!  ;D
"the Wiki, ultimate authority" or "Tom Bishop, Zetetic Council Member"
Quote from: Tom Bishop

Quote from: rabinoz
[1] A "a shadow from the sun illuminating", a shadow illuminating, really? Some better wording is surely called for!
[2] The Wiki also says the moon "wobbles" up and down, but I fail to see how a "wobble" can help with the moon some 12,000 miles from the sun.
[3] Remember we are assured that "a natural shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time." So, presumably the moon gets its illumination from the sun.
In the sentence "When one observes the phases of the moon he sees the moon's day and night, a shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time"  it clearly says that the sun is the thing doing the illuminating in that sentence. The words sun and illuminating are directly next to each other, while shadow and illuminating are not. We've explained this to you several times now.

Well, I did not get far. I was trying to find out how:
  • Even the person directly under the moon could ever see a full moon.
  • Everyone, in the 50% of earth that can see the full moon, sees almost[1] exactly the same full moon, though with differing orientation.

The whole sorry episode can be found in Why should anyone believe the earth is flat? « Reply #81 on: March 17, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »

[1] A slight parallax change means an almost imperceptible change in the moon's apparent phase.

Excuse me if I'm reading this wrong but there seems to be a contradiction here.:
(1) "The sun shines light from all directions on its surface."
(2) " The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves."

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 07:06:55 AM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Excuse me if I'm reading this wrong but there seems to be a contradiction here.:
Exactly!
But, when I presented those two very conflicting views
one from "the Wiki, the ultimate authority" and one from "Tom Bishop, Zetetic Council Member"
I got absolutely NO reply!

so, who do we turn to?
For my money the Heliocentric Globe seems a much simpler explanation!
Please! No-one come back with "look up the Wackey Wiki".

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »
I am absolutely loving this.

Anyway, I also asked this same question on another forum, and they said that the sun circles above the earth.
Simple as that.
They still have to answer how we're not able to see the sun, but I'm waiting.

geckothegeek

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Exactly!
But, when I presented those two very conflicting views
one from "the Wiki, the ultimate authority" and one from "Tom Bishop, Zetetic Council Member"
I got absolutely NO reply!

so, who do we turn to?
For my money the Heliocentric Globe seems a much simpler explanation!
Please! No-one come back with "look up the Wackey Wiki".

Which is worse?
(1) wiki
(2) ENAG
(3) Tom Bishop (I had to add #3 upon further consideration) ;D

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:51:21 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 02:49:57 PM »
I am absolutely loving this.

Anyway, I also asked this same question on another forum, and they said that the sun circles above the earth.
Simple as that.
They still have to answer how we're not able to see the sun, but I'm waiting.

IMHO this website is turning into " The Round Earth Comedy Show "

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 08:18:19 PM »
In and out of what ?
From the north pole, obviously. 

There is nothing new here. 
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

geckothegeek

Re: 8
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
In and out of what ?
From the north pole, obviously. 

There is nothing new here.

Borrowing a quote from the character "Old Rose" from a 1997 movie "Titanic.":
"Thank you for your fine forensic analysis."But, like the movie, an animated video showing how the sun "rises up and down and in and out of the north pole" would be most informative and educational in explaining this.
Please correct me as I am probably incorrect , but this is how I am interpreting your statement.:
The sun goes down and in to the north pole and then rises out of the north pole ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:44:34 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 01:28:31 AM »
I understood it to mean this: the sun's path around the pole is roughly circular, BUT it varies in radius from summer to winter (that's the "in and out" part) and in elevation above the earth (that's the "up and down" part).  I think the up and down is supposed to account for lunar phases?
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice