Ghost of V

Re: WiiU & 3DS thred
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
I'm still more excited about Hyrule Warriors for some reason. Zelda and Midna are playable. The game just keeps looking better and better.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2014, 02:00:56 AM »
Dumping Zelda U shots from press kit:

I like the art style a lot, it's like a mix-up between WW HD and SS. Also, Link is so gender-ambiguous here that I'm half expecting him to turn out to be Zelda (and note that he's using a "magic" bow, and that he isn't carrying a sword or a shield). That would be really neat, actually.

Fuckkkkkk I've never been so happy in my life ffff. It's so damn gorgeous agfhwa, you cannot even feasibly imagine how I reacted when this all showed up and ajfkdlsfj. I didn't think this game's visuals would be able to live up to the expectations I've built but holy shit they smashed it. jkflajdf and that gorgeous remix of the encounter theme that played throughouttt ;wwwww;

Also I, too, was wondering if this Link was female? I guarantee you it isn't Zelda, though, and frankly you are dumb and a terrible person for thinking so. And also a murderer. It's obviously Link, due to the hair and earring and general outfit, but it might be a female incarnation of Link. There's never been anything in the mythos that said the hero couldn't be female. I honestly don't care either way if it's male or female, but a female Link would be really cool. The weird magic-tech look is really intriguing, I've always thought some of the Beamos designs and many of the areas in the games (Tower of the Gods from Wind Waker, Lanayru Mine from Skyward Sword) had a really neat aesthetic that I wanted to see explored in more depth in future games.

The size of the world is fucking wonderful, too. I really hope they get rid of linearity even more thoroughly than they did in A Link Between Worlds, and I just in general can't wait to see what other stuff they've changed and/or messed with. The focus on making it more open, akin to the original The Legend of Zelda, is something I'm really hoping to see more of.

I think the new Zelda game looks great, but I'm conflicted about Link's model. Obviously he will get the tunic, but he looks very Disney. I was hoping for a darker art style (like TP), but I was hoping for that before Skyward Sword and still looked the other way.

Eugh. I don't know why people want so much grimdark Zelda. Twilight Princess was cool on its own, but I think it's better as just that one experience. It felt too gritty and grimdark "cool dark stuff" like a fanfic writer would make rather than they amazing realistic dark atmosphere (which has nothing to do with art style) of something like Majora's Mask, which is a type of Zelda I would be very willing to revisit.

I'm not a big fan of the amiibos. Why? Who asked for Skylanders tech in Smash Bros? No one.

Me, actually. :P I was talking to my nephew several weeks ago about how I'd like something like that, so I was pleasantly surprised when they were announced.

Now, for a more general post about the Nintendo Direct (I haven't watched Sony and Microsoft's press conferences yet, so):

Smash Bros. Ajkfldafj I don't know how they could get me more excited for this game at this point. The Miis being characters could have been tacky but actually seems really cool, and the whole beginning of the Direct (with Iwata and Reggie fighting) was a pretty wonderful start. The quick montage of Smash Bros 3DS gameplay hyped me up like hell. The only thing that's been consistently disappointing me about the game is all the character announcements. Rosalina? Paletuna? Little Mac? Greninja? Where are the amazing huge character announcements like Mega Man. ;o;

I'm also still upset that they went with some generic Link for Smash Bros. rather than the current incarnation like they always do. I can understand why, since this wasn't announced yet, but ajfkdslj. I hope (s)he's at least a playable character or, at the very very least, a skin. I was so upset when they still had Wind Waker Link rather than A Link Between Worlds Link, who could have had so many new moves and been a completely different experience rather than a smaller Link with different attributes.

Splatoon I'm actually pretty excited for, which I didn't expect. I was disappointed when it first showed up, but as it went along I grew more and more fond of the idea and how it looked. I would actually really love to give it a try, which is neat since I don't generally like shooters or competitive games.

Yoshi's Wooly World looks neat but I'm not really interested, the Kirby game I might try, Captain Toad could be cool since those were some of the neater parts of Super Mario 3D World. Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2 will be cool since I've never played the first before but it looks good. Xenoblade Chronicles I'll be excited to try but the trailer didn't really draw me into it much.

Hyrule Warriors looks wonderful. I'm so freaking excited for Impa and Midna. Midna was so out of left-field but she's so amazing, I'm incredibly pleased that she's going to be playable. Wow. I'm going to have such a hard time choosing between characters. ;o; And the fact that it's local multiplayer (one on the TV, one on the gamepad, so you don't need to be anywhere near one another or be splitscreen) is wondrous and I am going to use that for sure.

I can't wait for the Mario Maker game, either. That's gonna be so fun and I can't wait to see the levels people come up with.

Oh, and that fucking Star Fox U tease at the end was brilliant. Miyamoto talking about unique experiences on the Wii U all generically while, in the background, a blurred game plays that you can just vaguely tell is Star Fox but they don't say it at all. Perfect.

My biggest complaint is that the Paletuna announcement and the Zelda reveal should have been switched. Just casually showing a new Zelda like that in the middle, and using the "bonus reveal" at the end build-up to be some Kid Icarus character in Smash Bros.? Really? That could have been an amazing way to drop the bomb of a new Zelda, ending on that pan by Link's face and going to black. It would've been just as amazing as the Twilight Princess reveal and the absolute perfect way to end the direct. Ugh.

Anyway, tl;dr: Smash Bros. still looks amazing, Mii characters look cool, character announcements disappointing. Upset new Link isn't in Smash Bros, hope he/she is a new character or skin. Splatoon actually looks cool and I can't wait to try it. Yoshi's Wooly World looks okay but not interested, Kirby maybe, Captain Toad could be cool, would like to try Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles maybe. Hyrule Warriors looks magnificent, so excited for Midna. Can't wait for Mario Maker either. Star Fox U tease was brilliant. Zelda announcement should have been the bonus announcement at the end, would've been the perfect bomb to drop rather than dumb Smash Bros. character announcement. Zelda U is beautiful and perfect.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2014, 03:40:59 AM »
Is it fair to say that Nintendo won e3 this year?

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 04:33:53 AM »
Nintendo win E3 every year. Mostly because E3 is shit.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2014, 04:40:44 AM »
Also I, too, was wondering if this Link was female? I guarantee you it isn't Zelda, though, and frankly you are dumb and a terrible person for thinking so. And also a murderer. It's obviously Link, due to the hair and earring and general outfit, but it might be a female incarnation of Link. There's never been anything in the mythos that said the hero couldn't be female.

Well, obviously they wouldn't give it away at the reveal...

Anyway, sure, you'll most likely play as the game's incarnation of Link, but what if he just turns out to be Zelda over the course of the game? Kind of like what they did with Sheik... except you'd actually be playing as her.

I just don't think Nintendo is the sort of company to just change Link to female just for the sake of having him be female. There would have to be something more to it.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »
Well then, apparently Aonuma said in an interview that they "never explicitly said it was Link". Interesting.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
Hmm, that would be odd. I'm not sure what I'd think of that. The spirit of the hero and the reincarnation of Hylia are supposed to both exist in tandem, it would be kind of weird if they were both one person suddenly. Also, I'm just generally not sure what I'd think of Zelda looking like Link, unless she's purposely in disguise as the hero, maybe because he never showed up or died or something? If that isn't Link, I really hope there is an explanation as to why they look like him, and frankly those two I mentioned are the only ones I can think of I'd be immediately pleased with.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »
WiiiiiiiUUUUUUUiiiiiiiiiiiiiUUUUUUUiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiUUUUUUiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiUUUUUiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiUUUUUU
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2014, 06:27:16 PM »
It could always be Link's metro son Chain.

Ghost of V

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »
Also, Pac-Man announced for Smash...

I'm really not excited about this one.   :-\

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »
I actually prefer his announcement to most of the other ones.

Ghost of V

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »
Still no sign of Game & Watch.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »
He'll be in there, don't worry.

Ghost of V

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Game and Watch. I wouldn't mind if he was cut. The only character I want to come back is Mewtwo at this point. Which probably isn't going to happen.

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »
G&W is an annoying fucker.

Ghost of V

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
I thought Miis would have been a stupid addition before I watched the video for the Mii Fighters. All three move sets look pretty fun to use.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
In two and a half hours I'll be cutting a swath through the ranks of neckbeards at Best Buy for the Smash Bros. 4 demo. I think I'll go with tried and true Fox.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »
It's a mistake that many game developers make these days actually. There is an overabundance of hand-holding in many games. The Grand Theft Auto series pretty much tells you everything you need to do to beat the game: get in your car, follow this line on the mini-map, get out of your car, shoot these people, pick up their drops, get back into the car, follow this line back to the base, drop off the stuff you picked up. GTA actually says most of this stuff on the screen, eliminating the need to use your psychic powers to figure out what to do. My solution? I don't play GTA games.

Fix'd.

Also, the Miis are stupid.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2014, 01:15:13 PM »
mynintendonews.com/2014/06/12/aonuma-denies-female-link-rumours-says-it-was-all-in-jest/

ok

Wow. Fuckin' Aonuma. But what does this mean:

“That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific – but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean.”