Re: Computers are a conspiracy
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 06:32:41 PM »
Who says a rock is inanimate?
Computers don't 'think' or 'reason' unless they are programmed to mimic those actions.
Wizards at Intel?!? That must mean that Fairchild had Warlocks!

What do you mean computers don't think and reason?  My computer is clearly good enough at it that it can realize that I am pushing keys and use logic and reason to determine that what I am pressing should show up on screen based on a set of written instructions that are written in English albeit in a strange way.  We are supposed to believe that this is done because of a bunch of little 1's and 0's floating around in a silicon chip that nobody can seem to explain for the life of them.

I don't believe that there are wizards at Intel, but you clearly do since you dogmatically believe that they can produce a magical silicon chip that can think and reason.

Well, all the christians and whatnot of the world will surely thank you for figuring out 'spirits' talk in 1s and 0s

I'm guessing more of lack of oxygen in the womb

I'm guessing that where ever it is you live, it's the equivalent of the 1st of April, or someone swapped your meds for smarties.

Offline FEexperimenter

• Computers are a conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 06:59:43 PM »
I would like to note for the record that the shills are trying to discredit me with insults without even addressing my arguments.
I am a troll/alt.  Don't believe a word I say about computers being fake and Earth being flat.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 10:04:24 PM »
I'm curious - if CPUs are trapped souls, why do they keep getting faster and better at what they do with each new model? Also, how is a CPU different from a GPU?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 10:18:32 PM »
I once directly plugged a transistor directly into the power outlet in my home. I saw the spirit come out of it, and the transistor no longer worked.

In fact, one of the things said by electronics people when something fails catastrophically, is that the "smoke" was let out of whichever component failed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:20:14 PM by EnigmaZV »
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 07:03:22 AM »
A compiler that interprets different languages, compiles the requests, either does the calculation or sends it off to another component to do the calculation(s). Then uncompiles and sends the information out in another language.

Um, what? No.

A CPU is, in basic terms, a machine that reads and writes memory. It does this in accordance with its programming, which is itself stored in memory, and consists of a set of (usually very simple) instructions, such as "add these two numbers together and store the result here". Modern CPUs sometimes have more complex instructions to make things like video encoding faster, but it's still the same basic principle.

Everything else a computer does is built upon that basic principle of reading and writing memory. When you attach a PCI video card, a SATA hard drive or a USB webcam, it gets mapped into the computer's memory space so that the CPU can communicate with it. It's the operating system's job to manage all of these various devices so that they're useful to programs, not the CPU's.

It's also the operating system's job to interpret any programming languages the user might want to run. You don't throw Python code at a CPU and expect it to do the right thing. Rather, you use the Python interpreter -- a piece of software like any other, consisting of basic instructions the CPU can understand -- to execute your Python code. The CPU never actually runs any Python; as far as it's concerned, your Python code is nothing but ordinary data. The CPU executes the Python interpreter, which does something with that data.

If you're going to correct people on the Internet, please at least try to be correct yourself first.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »
I'm curious - if CPUs are trapped souls, why do they keep getting faster and better at what they do with each new model? Also, how is a CPU different from a GPU?

Because life is moving faster every day, so the souls are faster.

And a GPU has an artist's soul in it. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline FEexperimenter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 03:37:22 PM »

The biggest things are the increased number of "cores" (AKA spirit traps) and an increased work load designated by the clock speed.
I am a troll/alt.  Don't believe a word I say about computers being fake and Earth being flat.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
The number of cores only affects some specific scenarios, but fair enough.

How come we were only able to increase the clock speeds by a little bit at a time? Furthermore, how come that CPU performance has been increasing despite the fact that the clock speeds have gone down recently? It's no longer common to see ~4GHz processors.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline FEexperimenter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 05:17:42 PM »
The number of cores only affects some specific scenarios, but fair enough.

How come we were only able to increase the clock speeds by a little bit at a time? Furthermore, how come that CPU performance has been increasing despite the fact that the clock speeds have gone down recently? It's no longer common to see ~4GHz processors.

Computer companies are slowly increasing CPU speed for profit.  Think about it: if they released an incredibly fast computer then everyone would get that and then they would have nothing else to sell people.  With the way they are doing it if someone wants the fastest computer available they have to keep buying new ones.  The speed difference between computers exist mostly because if these companies are intentionally holding it back.

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »
A CPU is made up of 3 parts.
A request is made. The CPU interprets the language and compiles the request, it then figures out what the wanted function is. (This is no longer discussed, but still works this way. We don't have magic. We are only 2 steps from BASiC, if that.)
Then the ALU computes and figures out if more is needed. If writing to memory is required, it is then sent to the CU to be written to memory. The CPU interprets every request coming in and reinterprets again on the way out.

You can use all types of interpreters; but if you know about languages you know that the outside interpreter does not end with the same language a CPU uses internally.
The number one and two functions of a CPU is 1-interpret, 2-compile.
A CPU is constantly compiling and interpreting. The interpreting is where the most inefficiency is on a board in my opinion.

As for multi-core processors; there is almost no consumer programs that take advantage of more than 2 processors, and very few that use 2. The 'need' for increasing speeds is a bit of a fallacy. The time it takes to get the info and display it is mostly nil. SSD takes care of needed increased speeds, since the HD is where speed is killed.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »
A request is made. The CPU interprets the language and compiles the request, it then figures out what the wanted function is. (This is no longer discussed, but still works this way. We don't have magic. We are only 2 steps from BASiC, if that.)
Then the ALU computes and figures out if more is needed. If writing to memory is required, it is then sent to the CU to be written to memory. The CPU interprets every request coming in and reinterprets again on the way out.

You can use all types of interpreters; but if you know about languages you know that the outside interpreter does not end with the same language a CPU uses internally.
A CPU is constantly compiling and interpreting. The interpreting is where the most inefficiency is on a board in my opinion.

Your opinion is worthless when your facts are so hopelessly wrong. A CPU never "compiles" or "interprets" anything, merely executes instructions. Any compilation or interpretation is done by some other program (which also runs on the CPU, but that doesn't make the CPU a compiler any more than hosting this website on Linux makes Linux a web forum).

As for multi-core processors; there is almost no consumer programs that take advantage of more than 2 processors, and very few that use 2. The 'need' for increasing speeds is a bit of a fallacy. The time it takes to get the info and display it is mostly nil. SSD takes care of needed increased speeds, since the HD is where speed is killed.

The bottleneck for speed is always going to depend on your application. Making sweeping generalisations like this helps nobody.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:08:25 PM by Parsifal »

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 11:04:51 PM »
Well, good thing it was my opinion and not a sweeping generalization, and it is maybe a good thing that many engineers feel the same way. IBM's brain cell chipsets are moving away but not really.

I will bow out now, but leave this, maybe you can interpret and apply it elsewhere:

If you were to ask 100 people what the main thing is that their body needs to survive; 99% will answer either food or water. If asked again, 99% will switch to the other from the first answer. If you keep asking, eventually about 80% will answer air. Without breathing, food and water are a moot point.
A CPU that does not interpret, compile, and reinterpret, is a moot point in most computing systems. Most systems would never boot.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 11:12:49 PM »
A CPU that does not interpret, compile, and reinterpret, is a moot point in most computing systems. Most systems would never boot.

That's just plain wrong. CPUs boot by loading precompiled code. The specifics vary by hardware platform, but there's usually some code in ROM or NVRAM directly on the motherboard which loads the first-stage bootloader from a designated area on the hard drive.

You don't actually reach the point where anything needs to be interpreted until it's time to load the OS, at which point your bootloader needs to understand the binary format (typically ELF, these days) used for the kernel. But that's up to the bootloader, not the CPU.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:01 AM »

Yeah yeah! Come on Parsifal you’re drifting, back to the bound spirits.

How are they captured? Held? Is it possible to free them and get three wishes, where are FE’s carers?
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline FEexperimenter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »

Sooo...  An inanimate object that's basiclly a bundle of wires going every which way can somehow interpret, compile, and do math?  Still sounds like magic to me, either that or proof that I am right.

Here is something to consider: Moore's Law has managed to predict with incredible accuracy the rate at which computer "science" has advanced.  Every 2 years the number of "transistors" on a chip has doubled like clockwork.  Does this seriously not raise any red flags for you people?  What other technology advances in a way that almost perfectly matches a paturn for decades?

Offline Nexeuz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »
Before anyone asks, I do believe that computers exist because I am currently using one.  We are just being lied to about how they work.  We are told that computers use quantum mechanics and the laws of electricity to work but those are all built on Newtonian laws which are wrong.

In a computer everything is connected to the magical and illusive "CPU".  Nobody can explain how it works and we are expected to believe that all computing is done in some magical silicon chip the size of a fingernail.  Have you ever tried to break into a CPU?  Even a hack saw can't penetrate that case, it's as if they are trying to hide something.  These companies have a lot of secrecy surrounding them, which is definitely suspicious.  I have looked it up and it turns out that Intel and other "tech" companies are censoring this stuff from the Internet because they don't want us to know it.

Only living things can think and reason, inanimate objects like rocks cannot think and reason.  So why is it that computers, which we are told are inanimate, can think and reason?  It just doesn't add up.  If you ask a rock what 2+2 is then it wouldn't do anything but if I hold the home button and ask Siri what 2+2 is IT will respond "4".  Aperently a the Wizards at Intel can use fictional physics to defy nature and people actually buy into that crap.

So how do computers work?  It's a lot simpler then the mess of wires and magical microscopic switches Intel wants you to think is there.  They trap spirits and force them to do a bunch of logic.  Have you ever wondered why programming is called "programming throry"?  If people invented programming as we are lead to believe then why is it just a theory?  Answer: because they didn't invent programming and in reality it's the language spirits speak.  I still can't believe that people don't question it when Intel says that machines can read, understand what it read, and do what it's told.  They say that computers always do what they are told but inanimate objects don't do that, if you don't believe me then tell stick to throw it's self to you and tell a gun to shoot you.  They won't do it because they are inanimate objects, but the little squares of silicon Intel makes aperently defy this and they will do your taxes and pay your bills for you if you want.  What a joke.

Es increíble como hasta dudan de las máquinas y como las programan, yo estudio programación, y me parece ridículo y absurdo lo que dices, todo esta sumido a que tu eres muy débil, y puedes perder la percepción de la realidad por eso crees en esta teoría.

Offline FEexperimenter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 06:24:28 PM »
Es increíble como hasta dudan de las máquinas y como las programan, yo estudio programación, y me parece ridículo y absurdo lo que dices, todo esta sumido a que tu eres muy débil, y puedes perder la percepción de la realidad por eso crees en esta teoría.

Translation: It's amazing how even doubt the machines and as scheduled , I study programming , and it seems ridiculous and absurd what you say , everything is plunged very weak you are, and you can lose the perception of reality that you believe in this theory.

Alternate translation: I can push buttons on a computer and tell it what do do so therefore I know everything about computers and I am qualified to debunk your points.

I see you are resorting to attacking me and not my arguments.  You people are getting so desperate, it's hilarious.  Why don't you address my points?  What a joke.

Offline Nexeuz

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 02:55:36 AM »

Translation: It's amazing how even doubt the machines and as scheduled , I study programming , and it seems ridiculous and absurd what you say , everything is plunged very weak you are, and you can lose the perception of reality that you believe in this theory.

Alternate translation: I can push buttons on a computer and tell it what do do so therefore I know everything about computers and I am qualified to debunk your points.

I see you are resorting to attacking me and not my arguments.  You people are getting so desperate, it's hilarious.  Why don't you address my points?  What a joke.

You can say what you want, but believe that computers "is also a conspiracy," it is ridiculous, best thank, and that they can believe in this theory.

Offline UnionsOfSolarSystemPlanet

• The Moon orbits spherical Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
Sooo...  An inanimate object that's basiclly a bundle of wires going every which way can somehow interpret, compile, and do math?  Still sounds like magic to me, either that or proof that I am right.

It's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate just with wires carrying or not carrying power is enough to make a binary calculator. If you play Minecraft there is a circuit mechanism called Redstone which can use Logic gate to construct even computer in a game.
The size of the Solar system if the Moon were only 1 pixel:
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Offline FEexperimenter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »
It's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate just with wires carrying or not carrying power is enough to make a binary calculator. If you play Minecraft there is a circuit mechanism called Redstone which can use Logic gate to construct even computer in a game.

You an also make a floating house in Minecraft, make an infinite cobblestone generator, and hold enough materials to build a house.  Perhaps I could do those things in real life too.  After all: it's possible in Minecraft.