totallackey

Re: With Zetetic method, what pictures are Real vs. Fake
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »
I think my point is this just in case you truly don't get it.

Imaginary evidence is what supports the globe lie.

Asking me to imagine or otherwise make up evidence regarding something I know to be false is a ridiculous proposition.

There is a desperation in your tone here in how strongly you reject even thinking about the Earth as a globe. You were asked to try a thought experiment and reacted with hostility, evasion and complete denial.
Hostility?

I think not.

Evasion?

I think not.

Denial?

I think not.

My statement that evidence is not something to be imagined is valid.

Period.

End of sentence.

I find it ludicrous for people who claim to be educated can somehow claim evidence should be imagined or think that imaginary evidence is otherwise valid.

Your feelings about my reply are none of my concern.
This is not a rational way to think and reason, and it's simply not healthy to reject facts and refuse to imagine.
Asking people to imagine up evidence is certainly not rational and is indicative of a lack of reason.

There were facts here I rejected?

Where?

I still have the ability to imagine...Right now, I am trying to imagine why an RE -adherent would devote some much of their time to a website concerning flat earth...
As others pointed out "something I know to be false" shows you are not operating from facts, but from your own rigid internal beliefs.
No, I am operating off the facts of what I see and what I know to be true.

I know I stand directly on flat surfaces.

I see water running off of surfaces that are not flat.

You, on the other hand, need all the imagination you can muster to explain how these things can take place on anything but flat surfaces...
Perhaps you should sit long and hard, and try and figure out what about thinking about 'globe lies' makes you so uncomfortable. I can think all day about Flat Earth models and what it would be like and how I'd perform experiments, and not once get upset or angry or afraid. I'm not asking you to talk about it here, but at the very least, try and think about it.
Perhaps you should just go hang out somewhere where they might credit you with the abilities to imagine up evidence, like a RE site...See if you can come up with something new and refreshing...it is getting played out here and I don't care about your imaginary evidence.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2020, 04:55:42 PM »
You believe the evidence shows me to be wrong.

That doesn't make your belief true.
When I see photos or video of a globe earth taken from space then yes, it pretty conclusively shows you to be wrong.
Literally your only counter argument to that evidence is to shout "fake!" and run away.
So yes, I "believe" the images to be real - based on my having seen a rocket launch and using technology every day which relies on satellites. I can't prove it, but you certainly can't prove any fakery. I have shown quite clearly in this thread that different photos of the same object can look different which drives a coach and horses through the tired old "NASA can't even decide what the earth looks like" argument.
And it's not just NASA with craft taking photos of the globe earth of course.
And tallies with all the other evidence like the Turning Torso video where you can see the amount of the building which is hidden by the curve of the earth increasing with distance.
So, yeah. The evidence is pretty compelling, just denying it and declaring yourself right isn't really a counter-argument.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

totallackey

« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »

Whoa, take it easy. I’m not your enemy.

I was only trying to offer some additional information to help the conversation.

The article discusses some of the neuroscience behind imagination and thoughts, which infers that the subject is more complicated than what you said. That’s all.
The article discusses issues of imagination as it relates to non-concrete ideals and economy.

That is certainly a science in and of itself, however, it is not even tangentially connected to the topics here.

I never stated you were my enemy.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:20:28 AM by totallackey »

totallackey

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2020, 05:04:18 PM »
You believe the evidence shows me to be wrong.

That doesn't make your belief true.
When I see photos or video of a globe earth taken from space then yes, it pretty conclusively shows you to be wrong.
No...that shows you to be gullible.
Literally your only counter argument to that evidence is to shout "fake!" and run away.
No.

The images are altered.
So yes, I "believe" the images to be real - based on my having seen a rocket launch and using technology every day which relies on satellites. I can't prove it, but you certainly can't prove any fakery.
I know rockets to be real.

I know there are things called satellites circling overhead.

I use technology everyday.

I said the images are altered to depict a globe, as no globe exists.
I have shown quite clearly in this thread that different photos of the same object can look different which drives a coach and horses through the tired old "NASA can't even decide what the earth looks like" argument.
No it doesn't.

It shows you can do it.

It doesn't show NASA hasn't done it.

You have no experience with the types of imaging devices utilized by NASA or any of the other so-called space agencies.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2020, 05:51:44 PM »
The images are altered.
Ahh yes that handy snapchat filter that turns a disk into a spheroid that you claim NASA uses with no evidence to back up the claim.

Here's a crazy snippet of information, iphones camera software alters all of it's output. I guess this means if I saw you getting mugged and recorded it for evidence to back you up, you'd refuse my evidence and let the guy get away free of charge? Because the "images are altered"!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:53:53 PM by ChrisTP »
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2020, 06:18:08 PM »
Denial?

I think not.

Ok.

I still have the ability to imagine...Right now, I am trying to imagine why an RE -adherent would devote some much of their time to a website concerning flat earth...

I'm here because I'm curious about your theories, curious how you think, and because it's good to expand one's mind and experiences. I'm here for the reason I go to any web site or read any book, curiosity. I've learned things, so it's time well spent.

I'm also not an RE-adherent any more than I am a "Falling Down Stairs Hurts-adherent" or a "Humans Are Alive-adherent." Nobody but FE believers says things like "Round Earth Theory" because there is no such thing because other than debating with a Flat Earther, there is just no need to state basic facts.

I find it ludicrous for people who claim to be educated can somehow claim evidence should be imagined or think that imaginary evidence is otherwise valid.

I'm still trying to decide if you are intentionally pretending you don't understand what a thought experiment is, or actually do not understand the concept. Either way, it's not a good sign.

I have a hard time believing you really don't understand how useful it can be to imagine a scenario and it's possible results, and your reactions to them. But you keep saying things like that, which makes me wonder if you really do.

Perhaps you should just go hang out somewhere where they might credit you with the abilities to imagine up evidence, like a RE site...See if you can come up with something new and refreshing...it is getting played out here and I don't care about your imaginary evidence.

That would literally be the entire rest of the internet.  Other than the few Flat Earth sites, everywhere else is a "RE site".  I can assure you, I spend plenty of time there. As I said above, there is no "Round Earth Theory" as RET is the entirety of science.

And I tried to come up with something new, but you rejected it, refused to even try.

Offline BRrollin

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »

I was only trying to offer some additional information to help the conversation.

The article discusses some of the neuroscience behind imagination and thoughts, which infers that the subject is more complicated than what you said. That’s all.
The article discusses issues of imagination as it relates to non-concrete ideals and economy.

That is certainly a science in and of itself, however, it is not even tangentially connected to the topics here.

Oh whatever, the article discusses the interplay between imagination informing thought processes, and it is not worth arguing with you over semantics.

This contrarian attitude isn’t useful. You seem to only want to combat even the most basic offers - so I think you are not interested in figuring these things out, just arguing for its own sake.

Well I am not.

You win. I lose. See ya.
“This just shows that you don't even understand the basic principle of UA...A projectile that goes up and then down again to an observer on Earth is not accelerating, it is the observer on Earth who accelerates.”

- Parsifal

“I hang out with sane people.”

- totallackey

totallackey

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2020, 08:19:01 PM »
I'm here because I'm curious about your theories, curious how you think, and because it's good to expand one's mind and experiences. I'm here for the reason I go to any web site or read any book, curiosity. I've learned things, so it's time well spent.
Curiosity results in these expressions?
I think your point is you are refusing to answer, you have made that very clear in how many times you dodged and avoided the question. So yes, it's quite clear.
I'm also not an RE-adherent any more than I am a "Falling Down Stairs Hurts-adherent" or a "Humans Are Alive-adherent." Nobody but FE believers says things like "Round Earth Theory" because there is no such thing because other than debating with a Flat Earther, there is just no need to state basic facts.
You are denying you an RE-adherent?

"basic facts," certainly reads like an RE-adherent expression.
I'm still trying to decide if you are intentionally pretending you don't understand what a thought experiment is, or actually do not understand the concept. Either way, it's not a good sign.
Make no mistake, I certainly understand thought experiments.

It is only necessary to engage in flights of fancy when it comes to the issue of whether the earth could possibly be a globe.

I skip the flights of fancy and recognize it to be flat.
I have a hard time believing you really don't understand how useful it can be to imagine a scenario and it's possible results, and your reactions to them. But you keep saying things like that, which makes me wonder if you really do.
When it comes to solving a crime and how it could be committed, then your proposal works.

When it comes to performing a senses on experiment your proposal works.

I do it all the time.

That would literally be the entire rest of the internet.  Other than the few Flat Earth sites, everywhere else is a "RE site".  I can assure you, I spend plenty of time there. As I said above, there is no "Round Earth Theory" as RET is the entirety of science.

And I tried to come up with something new, but you rejected it, refused to even try.
"There is nothing new under the sun." - Solomon
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:20:52 PM by totallackey »

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »

That is your problem to deal with, not anyone elses.  Like it or not, you are a tiny minority with a viewpoint that diverges from ALL of science, and the vast majority of non scientists as well.  I am no more a "Round Earther" than I am a "1+1=2 Believer".  I don't call my self a "2+2=4 Believer" or "3+5=8 Believer" and so on and so on because I count things, or because there are those that say math is wrong.  It's just math, 10+20=30 because of how math works not because there is a specific theory about that equation, and the earth is round because of all the evidence collected and backed up by all the theories on how the universe works. It's not a special theory you can just separate from everything else.  It's round, or EVERYTHING is wrong. Science didn't create gravity just to explain why the earth was round. "Matter attracts itself" naturally mean large things form a sphere. There's no conspiracy.

Some people think all politicians are lizard people. I don't say I believe in the "Politicians Are Human Theory" because there is no need. It's just not a thing.

RE-adherent, Globulist (however it's spelled), or Round-Earther are your terms. Not mine.   

I understand it can get overwhelming to have the whole world seem to be against you, but it's just not really true.  You have chosen take a position that goes against what the rest of the world thinks, and of course people will argue with you about it. You are saying they are wrong in a fundamental aspect of the world. You can't choose to tell the world it's wrong, and expect them to consider themselves the outsiders.

It is only necessary to engage in flights of fancy when it comes to the issue of whether the earth could possibly be a globe.

That again is showing the flaw in your thinking. You refuse to even consider the possibility you are wrong. You skip any thoughts or evidence, and simply believe. That's faith, not reason.

You can believe it, but you have to accept that it requires you to abandon everything else with it.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2020, 08:24:05 AM »
I disagree. We all have a model of reality in our heads.
If a friend arrived from Dubai and I asked him what plane he flew in on and he said
"Oh no, I just flew here myself, I just flapped my arms and here I am"
Then it would be gullible of me to believe him. Because humans famously can't fly unaided. To pick up on JSS's excellent theme, I'm not a "Humans Can't Fly" believer. If there is a small group out in some dusty corner of the internet who believe that humans can fly and call me that then good for them, but most people's model of reality includes the fact that humans can't fly.
If my friend said he flew in on an A380 then it would not be gullible of me to believe him. I know that's a real plane, I know it flies to and from Dubai. He might still be lying of course but I'd have to have some pretty good evidence for that to accuse him and I'd probably want to know why he'd want to lie about something so silly.

So my model of reality includes facts like:

Rockets are a thing - I've seen plenty of film of them taking off and I saw a Shuttle launch back in the day

Satellites are a thing - I use GPS frequently, I have satellite TV which uses a geostationary satellite, I don't have to keep moving my dish. I don't know of any technology which could keep something up in the sky in a fixed position for years, decades even, at a time. I have also observed on trips to countries nearer the equator that the dishes noticeably point up at a much steeper angle. And one time my neighbour put some scaffolding up and it blocked the signal, so I know my dish is getting a signal from something up there. And have good evidence that the something is above the equator as claimed.

The ISS is a thing - it can literally be seen from the ground, plenty of film and pictures of it and taken from it, amateur astronomers have taken photos of the shuttle docking with it. 7 space tourists have paid to go on it.

The earth is a rotating globe - I alluded to the Turning Torso video which clearly demonstrates how things sink below the horizon. We have the Coriolis and Eötvös effects, the ring laser gyroscope which can detect the rotation, Foucault Pendulums, the way star trails rotate in one direction around the North Pole and the opposite direction, around the South Pole in the southern hemisphere and the way star trails look at the equator ( http://sguisard.astrosurf.com/Pagim/From_pole_to_pole.html )

So yeah, this model of reality all adds up to it being perfectly credible that craft can be launched to orbit our spinning globe and take photos of it. It's not gullible, it just confirms my model of reality.

The images are altered.

Yes, you keep saying that. But what you are consistently failing to understand, or possibly pretending not to, is that images being altered doesn't make them fake. If your argument is that they are taking photos of a flat earth and altering them to look like it's a globe then
1) Do you have any evidence for that?
2) Why would they do that?

What is the reason for this whole big globe lie? It would make literally no difference to my life. I'd still be able to fly places (well, when we're allowed out of the house), my satellite TV would still work, my GPS would still work (although they may need to rename it to FPS). Nothing about my life would change so why the need for this big "conspiracy" or "cover up"?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:26:00 AM by AllAroundTheWorld »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

totallackey

« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »

That is your problem to deal with, not anyone elses.  Like it or not, you are a tiny minority with a viewpoint that diverges from ALL of science, and the vast majority of non scientists as well.
Appeal to numbers reasoning...

Not indicative of a solid base.
I am no more a "Round Earther" than I am a "1+1=2 Believer".  I don't call my self a "2+2=4 Believer" or "3+5=8 Believer" and so on and so on because I count things, or because there are those that say math is wrong.  It's just math, 10+20=30 because of how math works not because there is a specific theory about that equation, and the earth is round because of all the evidence collected and backed up by all the theories on how the universe works.
"I am not an RE-adherent but let me tell you something...the earth is ROUND buddy, and you best not forget it! All the scientists tell me so and I believe 'em!"

FTFY...nnttm...
It's not a special theory you can just separate from everything else.  It's round, or EVERYTHING is wrong. Science didn't create gravity just to explain why the earth was round. "Matter attracts itself" naturally mean large things form a sphere. There's no conspiracy.
Again, your version of how to put together a horse with a cart is obviously:

...wrong...
Some people think all politicians are lizard people. I don't say I believe in the "Politicians Are Human Theory" because there is no need. It's just not a thing.
Strawman.
RE-adherent, Globulist (however it's spelled), or Round-Earther are your terms. Not mine.
Yeah, my terms used to describe you and your ilk. 
I understand it can get overwhelming to have the whole world seem to be against you, but it's just not really true.  You have chosen take a position that goes against what the rest of the world thinks, and of course people will argue with you about it. You are saying they are wrong in a fundamental aspect of the world. You can't choose to tell the world it's wrong, and expect them to consider themselves the outsiders.
Here, at tfes.org, you are an outsider.

I don't care what you are anywhere else.

That again is showing the flaw in your thinking. You refuse to even consider the possibility you are wrong. You skip any thoughts or evidence, and simply believe. That's faith, not reason.

You can believe it, but you have to accept that it requires you to abandon everything else with it.
Not in the least.

totallackey

« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »

Oh whatever, the article discusses the interplay between imagination informing thought processes, and it is not worth arguing with you over semantics.
Semantics has nothing to do with this ffs!

You offered up some BS article from Fast Company discussing the link of imagination and creative thinking to business, not science, and got called out for it.
This contrarian attitude isn’t useful. You seem to only want to combat even the most basic offers - so I think you are not interested in figuring these things out, just arguing for its own sake.

Well I am not.

You win. I lose. See ya.
You are right.

I win.

C'ya...

totallackey

« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2020, 10:35:17 AM »
I disagree. We all have a model of reality in our heads.
Rockets are a thing...
True
Satellites are a thing...
True
The ISS is a thing...
True
The earth is a rotating globe...
False
It's not gullible, it just confirms my model of reality.
Your model of reality established when you were a gullible child and it remains, as evidenced by your refusal to let go of the tendency to remain gullible.

I do not deny rockets.

I do not deny satellites.

I do not deny the ISS.

I deny the earth is a globe...because the earth does not need to be a globe in order for these things to exist.

Not in the least related...at all...

You imagine them to be evidence of sphericity, when they are not.

So it is RE-adherents engaged in the imagining up of evidence, not FE.
The images are altered.

Yes, you keep saying that. But what you are consistently failing to understand, or possibly pretending not to, is that images being altered doesn't make them fake. If your argument is that they are taking photos of a flat earth and altering them to look like it's a globe then
1) Do you have any evidence for that?
2) Why would they do that?

What is the reason for this whole big globe lie? It would make literally no difference to my life. I'd still be able to fly places (well, when we're allowed out of the house), my satellite TV would still work, my GPS would still work (although they may need to rename it to FPS). Nothing about my life would change so why the need for this big "conspiracy" or "cover up"?
People lie for a whole lot of reasons.

Fear for one.

Fake =/= false representation or altered.

Again, you already have NASA personnel on record as having altered numerous images.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:57:01 AM by totallackey »

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2020, 10:43:34 AM »
Again, you already have NASA personnel on record as having altered numerous images.
and this doesn't mean anything, it's a pretty crazy leap going from some photos were 'touched up' to 'the globe is a lie and the world is flat'. I would stop using the altered photos argument you keep trying to push, it's really dumb. It's no secret photos can be and are altered, it's not evidence of a flat earth. It's the equivalent of seeing someones wedding photos of which I did not attend, finding out the photographer upped the contrast differently in some of the photos then claiming the wedding never happened based on that.

*finds out a photo of my cousin at the beach was photoshopped to remove the clouds in the sky*

"Wait a minute, this is completely misrepresented! It's all a lie! There is no longer proof you even went to the beach!"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:45:55 AM by ChrisTP »

totallackey

« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2020, 10:48:37 AM »
and this doesn't mean anything, it's a pretty crazy leap going from some photos were 'touched up' to 'the globe is a lie and the world is flat'. I would stop using the altered photos argument you keep trying to push, it's really dumb. It's no secret photos can be and are altered, it's not evidence of a flat earth. It's the equivalent of seeing someones wedding photos of which I did not attend, finding out the photographer upped the contrast differently in some of the photos then claiming the wedding never happened based on that.

*finds out a photo of my cousin at the beach was photoshopped to remove the clouds in the sky*

"Wait a minute, this is completely misrepresented! It's all a lie! There is no longer proof you even went to the beach!"
Again, stop with the strawman...

What does a freaking wedding have to do with NASA?

Where did I claim altered pictures are evidence of a flat earth.

I said they are evidence of a lie.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »

It's not a strawman, it's an example of why your point is silly.

Do happen to believe people are on the ISS in orbit around the earth? They take pictures of the earth all the time, not misrepresented. Even if those photos are misrepresented then you'd be also accusing them of lying because they can see the globe themselves. Your claim is this isn't proof of anything because 'images were altered'... replace space with a wedding, replace astronauts with the bride and groom. it's the exact same thing. You're just pointing out the obvious thing that photos and videos can be edited but not putting forward any evidence of lying or misrepresenting a flat earth as a globe. videos are all still evidence, the moon landings were during a time where videos couldn't simply be altered.

Instead of shouting fake or altered maybe back up your claims with something. There are plenty of photos and videos out there that clearly show a globe earth that NASA and other space agencies have said are real. Your claim is they're lying about that. Prove it or stop claiming it.

totallackey

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »

No...it is a strawman...erecting a totally false equivalency then to tear it down...that = a strawman..
Do happen to believe people are on the ISS in orbit around the earth?
I believe people have been in the ISS, yes.
They take pictures of the earth all the time, not misrepresented.
You do not know that.
Even if those photos are misrepresented then you'd be also accusing them of lying because they can see the globe themselves.
You do not know that.

Do the math and prove it.

Prove by the math they can see the globe...
Your claim is this isn't proof of anything because 'images were altered'... replace space with a wedding, replace astronauts with the bride and groom. it's the exact same thing.
No, earth bound objects are not the same as objects above us in the least...
You're just pointing out the obvious thing that photos and videos can be edited but not putting forward any evidence of lying or misrepresenting a flat earth as a globe. videos are all still evidence, the moon landings were during a time where videos couldn't simply be altered.
Now you are either being flat out dishonest or ignorant , especially with the statement videos could not be altered at the time of the supposed moon landing...
Instead of shouting fake or altered maybe back up your claims with something. There are plenty of photos and videos out there that clearly show a globe earth that NASA and other space agencies have said are real. Your claim is they're lying about that. Prove it or stop claiming it.
There are NASA personnel on record stating many images have been altered.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:58:24 AM by totallackey »

Offline BRrollin

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2020, 11:27:06 AM »

No...it is a strawman...erecting a totally false equivalency then to tear it down...that = a strawman..
Do happen to believe people are on the ISS in orbit around the earth?
I believe people have been in the ISS, yes.
They take pictures of the earth all the time, not misrepresented.
You do not know that.
Even if those photos are misrepresented then you'd be also accusing them of lying because they can see the globe themselves.
You do not know that.

Do the math and prove it.
Your claim is this isn't proof of anything because 'images were altered'... replace space with a wedding, replace astronauts with the bride and groom. it's the exact same thing.
No, earth bound objects are not the same as objects above us in the least...
You're just pointing out the obvious thing that photos and videos can be edited but not putting forward any evidence of lying or misrepresenting a flat earth as a globe. videos are all still evidence, the moon landings were during a time where videos couldn't simply be altered.
Now you are either being flat out dishonest or ignorant , especially with the statement videos could not be altered at the time of the supposed moon landing...
There are NASA personnel on record stating many images have been altered.

Can you give any links to the records of NASA personnel stating this photo tampering? That would be very interesting.
“This just shows that you don't even understand the basic principle of UA...A projectile that goes up and then down again to an observer on Earth is not accelerating, it is the observer on Earth who accelerates.”

- Parsifal

“I hang out with sane people.”

- totallackey

totallackey

« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
Can you give any links to the records of NASA personnel stating this photo tampering? That would be very interesting.
https://qz.com/192700/the-guy-who-created-iphones-earth-image-explains-why-he-needed-to-fake-it/

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2020, 11:46:40 AM »
It's not if they're admitting it, is it? :)