Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
Re: With Zetetic method, what pictures are Real vs. Fake
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2020, 03:14:39 PM »
Sorry for assuming it was. Lets clear this up with a simple, direct question.

Can you can accept things are true even if you can't see them with your own eyes?
I can accept things are possible even if I can't see them with my own eyes, yes.

When it comes to the shape of the earth, there is no legitimate (purely subjective term that it is and always will be) reason to believe it to be anything other than what my own two eyes and rational mind state it must be, and that is flat.

Can you imagine any evidence at all that would convince you the earth was a sphere? What could you be shown that would convince you?

totallackey

« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »

Can you can accept things are true even if you can't see them with your own eyes?
I can accept things are possible even if I can't see them with my own eyes, yes.

When it comes to the shape of the earth, there is no legitimate (purely subjective term that it is and always will be) reason to believe it to be anything other than what my own two eyes and rational mind state it must be, and that is flat.

Can you imagine any evidence at all that would convince you the earth was a sphere? What could you be shown that would convince you?
Let me get this straight...you are asking me to "imagine," up evidence?

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2020, 03:20:52 PM »

Let me get this straight...you are asking me to "imagine," up evidence?

Yes. I'm asking you to think and imagine, what evidence could change your mind. What would it take for you to believe in a globe earth? Money is no object, you can perform any experiment you want. What would it take?

totallackey

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2020, 10:15:33 AM »
Yes. I'm asking you to think and imagine, what evidence could change your mind. What would it take for you to believe in a globe earth? Money is no object, you can perform any experiment you want. What would it take?
I will leave the thinking up and imagining up of evidence to RE, thank you.

That is why we have the lie of the globe to begin with.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2020, 11:15:01 AM »
Way to skip out on answering a question by pretending you didn't understand what he meant. He is asking you to use your brain and come up with an idea of what kind of evidence you'd require if you had no budget (all the money in the world). It's a simple question dude. You aren't being asked to make up ideas for fake evidence.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »

The ability to imagine and examine other viewpoints is crucial to being able to understand the world. You really should try some basic logic exercises, it a good mental workout.

Here, let me show you an example.

What would it take for me to believe the world was flat?  If I bought one of those high altitude rockets or even bought one of Elon Musk's boosters and got back pictures of a flat disk with an ice wall and the sun below the camera, I'd be pretty shocked. I'd suspect tampering with the digital recorder.  If I sent another with a film camera signed by me, developed it myself and verified it was mine and it showed the same thing, and repeated tests also did, I'd have to conclude that the world really isn't as I am being told. It would be pretty damn exciting and I'd be converted.

So there. Film evidence I launched myself showing a flat disk would make me a believer.

What evidence would make you believe a globe earth?

totallackey

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »

The ability to imagine and examine other viewpoints is crucial to being able to understand the world. You really should try some basic logic exercises, it a good mental workout.
The ability to imagine has absolutely nothing to do with logic as it relates to the physical, concrete world.
Here, let me show you an example.

What would it take for me to believe the world was flat?  If I bought one of those high altitude rockets or even bought one of Elon Musk's boosters and got back pictures of a flat disk with an ice wall and the sun below the camera, I'd be pretty shocked. I'd suspect tampering with the digital recorder.  If I sent another with a film camera signed by me, developed it myself and verified it was mine and it showed the same thing, and repeated tests also did, I'd have to conclude that the world really isn't as I am being told. It would be pretty damn exciting and I'd be converted.

So there. Film evidence I launched myself showing a flat disk would make me a believer.

Offering up something you claim already exists is hardly the leap of imagination I was expecting.

There are plenty of the altered images existing of a circle or disk.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:21:45 PM by totallackey »

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
It would be pretty damn exciting and I'd be converted.
This is an underrated comment, I say this all the time but yet flat earther peeps still call me a "round earth zealot" and/or are sure I am brain washed to only believe the earth is spherical. If I had found conclusive evidence of a flat earth I'd be hella excited, it would be fun to find out something of a massive cover up like this. In no way do I 'want' to believe the world is a spherical planet, the evidence I see all the time for myself is simply too overwhelmingly in favour or a spherical world. I'd really be interested to see how other people have somehow come to the opposite conclusion, but flat earthers don't share that kind of information, no 'zetetic' or scientific experiments or logical reasons that prove the earth is flat that couldn't also just be how it is on a globe. 

Regarding the real vs fake pictures argument, I'd like to extend this to CGI too. My question is, how is it that we are able to model the globe and it's surroundings so visually accurately in terms of scale, size and shape? Take for example Google Earth, Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 that uses a 3D globe via Bing maps, game engines that also show a globe visually the same as real life would be like Outerra or even games like No Mans Sky and Star Citizen where if you're on the planet surface in game, it looks pretty much the same as it would on earth in real life with a visually flat horizon and mountains/valleys (even though Star Citizen planets are mostly smaller). If this kind of stuff that I see regularly matches reality why then is it so difficult to come to terms with the shape and size of earth as a globe? Yes I understand this is all CGI, btu the question is how does CGI match reality this well using globes? Is this visual evidence? If not, then would you also not take every other game that generally uses a flat land model as evidence of a flat earth since lets face it, globe or flat looks the same locally)?

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2020, 01:53:24 PM »

Offering up something you claim already exists is hardly the leap of imagination I was expecting.

I'm not even sure what to say at this point. Are you refusing to come up with something, or saying it's impossible?

totallackey

« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2020, 02:28:22 PM »

I'm not even sure what to say at this point. Are you refusing to come up with something, or saying it's impossible?
I think perhaps your imagination might be failing you in your attempt to decipher what is actually a lucid and clear point made in my response.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2020, 04:21:15 PM »
I think perhaps your imagination might be failing you in your attempt to decipher what is actually a lucid and clear point made in my response.

I think your point is you are refusing to answer, you have made that very clear in how many times you dodged and avoided the question. So yes, it's quite clear.

Too bad, it could have been interesting to hear what you had to say.

totallackey

« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »

I think your point is you are refusing to answer, you have made that very clear in how many times you dodged and avoided the question. So yes, it's quite clear.

Too bad, it could have been interesting to hear what you had to say.
I think my point is this just in case you truly don't get it.

Imaginary evidence is what supports the globe lie.

Asking me to imagine or otherwise make up evidence regarding something I know to be false is a ridiculous proposition.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »

Asking me to imagine or otherwise make up evidence regarding something I know to be false is a ridiculous proposition.
And here the mask slips.
It's quite clear that you are so entrenched in your position - you "know" the globe to be false - that you simply declare all the evidence which shows you to be wrong to be wrong or "imaginary".
I guess it's easy to prove yourself right if you ignore all the evidence which shows you to be wrong.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2020, 10:49:38 AM »
It's quite amazing that Totallackey couldn't even think of some kind of experiment that would prove the earth a globe without calling his own thoughts fake.

totallackey

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »

And here the mask slips.
It's quite clear that you are so entrenched in your position - you "know" the globe to be false - that you simply declare all the evidence which shows you to be wrong to be wrong or "imaginary".
I guess it's easy to prove yourself right if you ignore all the evidence which shows you to be wrong.
There is no mask here.

All the evidence doesn't "show" me to be wrong.

You believe the evidence shows me to be wrong.

That doesn't make your belief true.

It is your life and you can feel entitled to whatever you wish.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:19:50 PM by totallackey »

totallackey

« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »
It's quite amazing that Totallackey couldn't even think of some kind of experiment that would prove the earth a globe without calling his own thoughts fake.
Thoughts and imagination, in case you don't really know, can be separate and distinct, and usually are.

Offline BRrollin

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2020, 12:17:25 PM »
Thoughts and imagination, in case you don't really know, can be separate and distinct, and usually are.

Hmmm, that doesn’t see me to fit the neuroscience very well. Here is an article discusses these very things: https://www.fastcompany.com/3026510/the-neuroscience-of-imagination
“This just shows that you don't even understand the basic principle of UA...A projectile that goes up and then down again to an observer on Earth is not accelerating, it is the observer on Earth who accelerates.”

- Parsifal

“I hang out with sane people.”

- totallackey

totallackey

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »

Hmmm, that doesn’t see me to fit the neuroscience very well. Here is an article discusses these very things: https://www.fastcompany.com/3026510/the-neuroscience-of-imagination
That depths and lengths you will go to throw mud on the windshield of cars traveling down the road is quite evident with your posts today.

You believe the article you offer somehow invalidates my statement?

That is rich.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2020, 12:44:28 PM »
I think my point is this just in case you truly don't get it.

There is a desperation in your tone here in how strongly you reject even thinking about the Earth as a globe. You were asked to try a thought experiment and reacted with hostility, evasion and complete denial.

This is not a rational way to think and reason, and it's simply not healthy to reject facts and refuse to imagine.

As others pointed out "something I know to be false" shows you are not operating from facts, but from your own rigid internal beliefs.

Perhaps you should sit long and hard, and try and figure out what about thinking about 'globe lies' makes you so uncomfortable. I can think all day about Flat Earth models and what it would be like and how I'd perform experiments, and not once get upset or angry or afraid. I'm not asking you to talk about it here, but at the very least, try and think about it.

Offline BRrollin

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »

That depths and lengths you will go to throw mud on the windshield of cars traveling down the road is quite evident with your posts today.

You believe the article you offer somehow invalidates my statement?

That is rich.

Whoa, take it easy. I’m not your enemy.

I was only trying to offer some additional information to help the conversation.

The article discusses some of the neuroscience behind imagination and thoughts, which infers that the subject is more complicated than what you said. That’s all.
“This just shows that you don't even understand the basic principle of UA...A projectile that goes up and then down again to an observer on Earth is not accelerating, it is the observer on Earth who accelerates.”

- Parsifal

“I hang out with sane people.”

- totallackey