Offline Buran

• View Profile
Observation of the ISS
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »
The other night I saw a notification by our local news station that the international space station would be passing overhead and would be visible between 6:56pm and 6:59 pm. It was a bright yellow dot that passed overhead at a very fast speed.

From a flat earth perspective, what else would this be if it's not the ISS?
Nicole, show me schematics for "Flat Earth."

Offline PickYerPoison

• Poor Earth-chan. It's not her fault she's flat.
    • View Profile
Re: Observation of the ISS
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
The other night I saw a notification by our local news station that the international space station would be passing overhead and would be visible between 6:56pm and 6:59 pm. It was a bright yellow dot that passed overhead at a very fast speed.

It was more likely particle debris or some kind of atmospheric interference. ISS would be too far away to see even if it WAS there.
Remember that "The truth is out there" as long as you are willing to look!

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »

It was more likely particle debris or some kind of atmospheric interference. ISS would be too far away to see even if it WAS there.

This is not true at all. ISS is very much visible when illuminated by the Sun.

Here - feel free to view it when it passes over you at night.
http://www.isstracker.com/
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:01:50 PM »

That's interesting. Even if particle debris is more likely, what proof is there that it is particle debris?  Likewise, what evidence is there that the ISS is too far away to be seen?
Nicole, show me schematics for "Flat Earth."

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »

It was more likely particle debris or some kind of atmospheric interference.

Wouldn't that be more likely to show random behaviour, though?

Particle debris or atmospheric interference is MOST unlikely to appear once at 5pm or so, then appear again to show EXACTLY the same behaviour at 6.30 or so..... most unlikely to move at constant speed, in one direction ....

In case that's lost on you, I saw the ISS, on more than one occasion, twice in one evening. Each time, separated by approx 90mins, the 'published' orbit time. Remarkably consistent particle debris, that is....
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

JohnAdams1145

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »
Debris/atmospheric interference is also extremely unlikely to look like a space station with solar panels. If you take a telescope and point it at the ISS, you can actually see the solar panels and structure, which match NASA's photographs.

So that hypothesis is junk. I've heard some FEs say that it isn't really a space station, which can be debated further, but calling it debris is plain denial; I also doubt that this is the official FE position. This is just asking for people to start with strawman arguments.

Here's just one example:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/02/28/ridiculously-awesome-pic-of-discovery-and-the-iss-taken-from-the-ground/#.WoDUxainGUk

You can even see Discovery there... Amazing.

Offline KevAmiga

• Round and round we go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
So ill add my 2p in here. Im a licenced Amateur radio operator (not that you even need to be to do this but it helps) and quite often follow what the ISS guys are doing.

For those of you interested, the Downlink frequency is 145.800MHz FM.

If you can tune into that frequency, you can often either hear the astronauts speaking down to earth (they run scheduled sessions with schools and the like) or receive some SSTV if they are broadcasting that.

Its simple enough to do, seen as it uses VHF frequencies and there obviously is nothing in the way when they are overhead but you do get doppler effect as they are going super speed... and also they are only contactable for a few mins until they fly over the horizon.

Here's a bit of SSTV i received from them this week : https://www.instagram.com/p/BhfU4_ahfjXB5RaOiWjrz8smffJXiKwhvRmmhs0/?taken-by=kevamiga

Its not perfect but its OK. I think its 9600 baud so that image takes around 50 seconds to be transmitted, so given you only have a few minutes the timing needs to be spot on.

Im not sure how anyone could really suggest that :

a. The ISS isn't circling a globe seen as literally people around the globe sent reports of it which are timed
b. If the earth was flat, and there was an ISS up there but it was all fakery and the like, a VHF signal would not disappear over the horizon. Granted it could be faked using directional antennas and the like but why? That would take massive amounts of effort to co-ordinate and i mean, NASA would just not allow it right?
c. If it was space junk or whatever... it can communicate 2-way with schools hahaha :)

Pretty simple stuff really.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 04:35:12 AM »

A balloon of some sort. What makes you think it's a heavier-than-air object?
Hi y'all. I am a typical GENIUS girl who does NOT follow the masses and who does NOT blindly accept what is told to me without EVIDENCE. That being said, I don't believe in a lot of "facts" (the quotations mean they're NOT actual facts) including evolution, the holocaust, and the globular earth HYPOTHESIS.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 07:00:41 AM »
A balloon.
That is the shape of the ISS.
Travelling at that speed.
In exactly the place that NASA says the ISS will be in.
Hmm. Sounds reasonable.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »

The fact that it doesn't behave like a balloon?

It turns up, on time, with a regularity that shames any kind of public transport system; exactly where expected, exactly when expected, never late, never early, never missing.

It can sometimes be seen twice in one evening, and I have observed it personally thus. Each appearance separated by exactly the stated orbit time. Both times, it appeared from the same horizon, and travelled toward the same, opposite horizon. It clearly didn't change direction to go back for the second pass, else I or someone else would have seen it moving in the 'wrong' direction.

As was stated above, you can receive radio transmissions from it.

It's been photographed numerous times from Earth's surface, and it does not have the shape of a balloon.

You can calculate its speed from the ground, using simple trigonometry. School children do this for science projects. The results are inconsistent with it being a balloon.

etc

etc

Nearly?

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 01:16:19 PM »

What makes you think it's a balloon? What evidence do you have that it's a balloon? How can a balloon move in an unchanged direction (not influenced by wind) at the speed the ISS moves in the sky?
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »

What makes you think it's a balloon? What evidence do you have that it's a balloon? How can a balloon move in an unchanged direction (not influenced by wind) at the speed the ISS moves in the sky?

What speed have you tracked it as moving?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 09:20:30 AM »

Personally, not I have.

Schoolchildren as projects it have done.

HOWEVER - I've seen it twice in one night, on more than one occasion. It reappeared 90 mins after the first pass. I'm sure I could work out the speed on the basis of its published orbital height, and this time, but you'd most likely quibble with whether or not the height was correct, wouldn't you?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:25:54 AM by Tumeni »

Nearly?

Offline Spycrab

• Wait what's going on I fell asleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 02:42:02 PM »

Personally, not I have.

Schoolchildren as projects it have done.

HOWEVER - I've seen it twice in one night, on more than one occasion. It reappeared 90 mins after the first pass. I'm sure I could work out the speed on the basis of its published orbital height, and this time, but you'd most likely quibble with whether or not the height was correct, wouldn't you?
I'm willing to take that wager.

Earth is reported to have a diameter of 7,917.5 mi.
The ISS orbits at 254 mi.
254*2+7,917.5 gives us the total diameter of 8425.5 mi.
times pi to get the circumfrence, and the orbital distance is about 26469.5 miles. (42598.53101 km if your country isn't stupid. ;))
if it completed that in 90 minutes, then it was travelling 294.1056 miles per minute.
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/health/pace-calculator.php
Of course it needs to be visible.
Well, it is. It only orbits 254 miles up, that's practically nothing on a global scale.
Besides, the OP saw it exactly when it was supposed to be visible, where it was supposed to be visible, all that.
It's almost like NASA aren't lying bastards trying to decieve everyone always or something.
The espionage crustacean strikes again.
Spycrab, you're the best memeber on the fora. Thank you for being born.

Max_Almond

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 09:51:51 PM »
[I think the ISS is ]a balloon of some sort.

A balloon! That's got to be the best thing I've read on here yet. :D

A balloon 250 miles high, travelling at 17,000 miles an hour, visible from Earth.

Brilliant.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 02:09:36 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, Tom. The ISS actually passed over my house at 8:45 PM (ET) today and I measured its speed. It appeared in the sky about 12 degrees above the horizon, went about 70 degrees over the horizon at its max, and disappeared about 10 degrees above horizon on the other side of the sky. My measurements were done with my camera as I tracked it and kept track of the angle it was pointing at (my tripod has a gauge). My observations were pretty close to what NASA's site reported them to be: https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_States&region=Pennsylvania&city=West_Chester (Wed May 23, 8:42 PM).

This took place over 6 minutes.

180o(because from horizon to horizon it's 180 degrees)-10o-12o= 158o. That's 26.3 degrees/minute.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 03:32:30 AM »

You signature line says you don't accept things without evidence. So I assume you have evidence of this balloon? Would you please share it?

Is the space station shaped thing that people have photographed with telescopes the actual balloon, or something tethered to the balloon?

Max_Almond

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »
Here's a video detailing how three people filmed the ISS travel in front of the moon:

Two of them were together, and the third was about a kilometre away - the ISS, therefore, appeared to be in a different position relative to the moon.

They were then able to calculate the approximate altitude of the space station.