Offline PraiseGOD

• Purgatory
  • Fear God and give glory to him.
    • View Profile
“What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise, also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” (James 2:14-26)

So, in the above verses we see James is stating that works is the evidence of faith and that faith without works is dead. James also emphasises that “Even the devils believe, and tremble” which describes how a mere mental “belief” is not the same as a saving faith.

In this day and age a very prevalent doctrine that is spreading throughout the new-age churches and in online forums, is: “Since we are saved by faith in Christ alone, as stated in the famous John chapter 3, verse 16 and Ephesians chapter 2, verse 8 to 9; we are not required to come to genuine repentance of our sins, nor are we required to keep the commandments of God”. I would like to stress that this is a doctrine of devils being parroted by individuals who are not of genuine faith, and/or have a limited knowledge of scripture or that through the love of sin have deceived themselves and are now deceiving others.

James makes it clear: “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” So, in these verses James is questioning whether the so called “faith” that some of these individuals believing and purporting these doctrines have, is genuine. James's criticism is specifically aimed at a belief in God which does not result in a changed life and that, a faith which saves, by its very nature, is something which produces good works.

We are to be disciples of Jesus Christ. We are to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and make him the centre of our lives. We are to be walking by every word that comes from the mouth of God. We are to vehemently seek God’s Word and Will. We are to fear God and keep His commandments, repenting of our sins. We are to be baptised with the laying of hands to receive the Holy Spirit. We are to love God with all our heart, with all our soul and with all our mind. We are to love others as we love ourselves. We are to give willingly, cheerfully, and freely. We are to be ready to forsake everything that we have, including our very family, for the sake of God.

However, this is not to be confused, as later verses will show, works are the evidence of salvation; not the source of it. The above “fruits” of good works that I have just described are the natural by-product of a saving faith.

So, in summary: If you find yourself or anybody else who is supposedly Christian, with a purported faith in Christ, which has not undergone a changed life and is not producing the “fruit” of good works, I would be wary and draw into question the genuineness of this person’s faith.

Thank you for reading. I love you all and may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
(Revelation 14:12)

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: We are saved by faith alone, and the evidence of faith is works.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 10:24:57 AM »
“[incomprehensible gibberish]” (James 2:14-26)
Or, for those of you who speak English:

"My brothers and sisters, what good is it for people to say that they have faith if their actions do not prove it? Can that faith save them? Suppose there are brothers or sisters who need clothes and don't have enough to eat. What good is there in your saying to them, “God bless you! Keep warm and eat well!” — if you don't give them the necessities of life? So it is with faith: if it is alone and includes no actions, then it is dead.

"But someone will say, “One person has faith, another has actions.” My answer is, “Show me how anyone can have faith without actions. I will show you my faith by my actions.” Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe — and tremble with fear. You fool! Do you want to be shown that faith without actions is useless? How was our ancestor Abraham put right with God? It was through his actions, when he offered his son Isaac on the altar. Can't you see? His faith and his actions worked together; his faith was made perfect through his actions.

"And the scripture came true that said, “Abraham believed God, and because of his faith God accepted him as righteous.” And so Abraham was called God's friend. You see, then, that it is by people's actions that they are put right with God, and not by their faith alone.

"It was the same with the prostitute Rahab. She was put right with God through her actions, by welcoming the Israelite spies and helping them to escape by a different road.

"So then, as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without actions is dead."
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 12:44:08 PM »
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, but is really a hateful, judgmental hypocrite spreading a message of anger and subjugation.
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 03:36:36 PM »
KISS

Judge and ye not be judged.

Our salvation is 100% by Gods GRACE !!! Faith in Christ you will receive the SPIRIT....End of story !  Eternal Life !

We're all sinners and will continue to sin, saved or not. The HOLY Spirit will direct our lives and see we repent and do works. If you don't have the SPIRIT maybe you really didn't have FAITH and thought you could pull one over on GOD?...

Ye of little FAITH !
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:46:32 PM by J-Man »
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 03:40:03 PM »
Judge not lest ye be judged.

Fix’d

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 04:41:43 PM »
Everyone who ever lived will be Judged, there is no escape from that day so...We all sin and Judge but ah just accept Grace and acknowledge Christs sacrifice for all mankind.

Yes as you stand or knell before God as he recounts every second of your life, you will feel ashamed for your thoughts and acts but his word is truth. You will make the grade and enter the kingdom.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:44:23 PM by J-Man »
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »
Exactly.  This is what I keep trying to tell people.  This whole "trying to be Christ-like" shit is completely pointless because as the good book says even our original inherited sin taints us enough to damn us to hell.  Don't try to think about right and wrong.  Just having a distant ancestor that ate a forbidden apple is, in God's eyes, the moral equivalent of being Hitler.  Basically just accept Jesus and don't sweat it if you're a human trafficker or something. 

But there's a twist to all this.  Christianity 2.0, aka Mormonism, introduces us to an exciting new feature, posthumous baptism. 

So here's my best advice to stay out of Hell and I believe it is far safer than J-man's advice.  Since only one baptism counts you must reject Christianity and rely on a posthumous baptism to save your soul.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 07:00:00 PM »
Yes as you stand or knell before God
What if you don’t have a bell with you.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 02:29:35 AM »
Exactly.  This is what I keep trying to tell people.  This whole "trying to be Christ-like" shit is completely pointless because as the good book says even our original inherited sin taints us enough to damn us to hell.  Don't try to think about right and wrong.  Just having a distant ancestor that ate a forbidden apple is, in God's eyes, the moral equivalent of being Hitler.  Basically just accept Jesus and don't sweat it if you're a human trafficker or something. 

The idea would be that a human trafficker likely doesn't genuinely have Christian faith and therefore their false faith would damn them regardless. To be a faithful Christian would be to, at least some extent, attempt to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. It obviously leaves that a bit vague, but the hot meme of saying "lmao like I just kill 100 people then repent so I go to heaven, haha!" will typically not work as the kind of person who would do such things is unlikely to repent in a genuine way.

Also, it makes sense that a perfect being would see practically all imperfect beings as incomprehensibly evil. Part of the purpose of Christianity is an acceptance that all humans are fundamentally flawed beings and how to cope with that. Everyone chooses to do 'immoral' things at one point or another in their life.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 02:33:26 AM by Rushy »

Offline PraiseGOD

• Purgatory
  • Fear God and give glory to him.
    • View Profile
Just like the days of Noah and Lot were,..
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 01:06:23 PM »
Just like the days of Noah and Lot were, so will be the days before the coming of the Lord

Is anyone else noticing the quickening pace in which society is descending into full blown depravity? Lies and deceit have become the common language. Abominable things are celebrated. All the commandments of the Lord have been abolished and forsaken. Murder is occurring on mass scale. Prideful sodomites, secret societies, occultists and satanists are now openly parading themselves with very little opposition. The rich are getting exponentially richer whilst a rapidly increasing number of poor (150 million+) people are living in crisis levels of famine.

This exact scenario played out in the days of Noah and Lot. “But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” (Luke 17:26)

God’s wrath and judgement will be coming upon the wicked, likely in the same way that they intend to do to us. Just like a thief in the night will be the coming of the Lord with all power and glory. So, keep watching friends, brothers, and sisters, for we know not when our Lord shall come, that we may not be taken by surprise.

May the grace of God and our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
(Revelation 14:12)

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Just like the days of Noah and Lot were,..
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 01:56:40 PM »
Just like the days of Noah and Lot were, so will be the days before the coming of the Lord

Is anyone else noticing the quickening pace in which society is descending into full blown depravity? Lies and deceit have become the common language. Abominable things are celebrated. All the commandments of the Lord have been abolished and forsaken. Murder is occurring on mass scale. Prideful sodomites, secret societies, occultists and satanists are now openly parading themselves with very little opposition. The rich are getting exponentially richer whilst a rapidly increasing number of poor (150 million+) people are living in crisis levels of famine.

This exact scenario played out in the days of Noah and Lot. “But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” (Luke 17:26)

God’s wrath and judgement will be coming upon the wicked, likely in the same way that they intend to do to us. Just like a thief in the night will be the coming of the Lord with all power and glory. So, keep watching friends, brothers, and sisters, for we know not when our Lord shall come, that we may not be taken by surprise.

May the grace of God and our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.

I'm merging this thread with the other one. If you want to post/discuss verses, please do so within a single thread rather than posting a new thread for every verse discussion.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »
I will not bow before a being simply because it demands me to do so.
Nor will I respect anyone who judges a person not by their deeds, but by how much they suck up to the judge.

I will live a good life and join the devil in rebelling against an arrogant and evil creator.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 03:33:44 PM »
Nor will I respect anyone who judges a person not by their deeds, but by how much they suck up to the judge.

I will live a good life and join the devil in rebelling against an arrogant and evil creator.

You are confirmation of Gods word, the gates are narrow. You see God knows whos name is written in the book thus he can tell us the gates are narrow.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 03:37:47 PM »

You are confirmation of Gods word, the gates are narrow. You see God knows whos name is written in the book thus he can tell us the gates are narrow.

You know, God is a sheppard and his followers, his sheep.  And what do we do to sheep?  We eat them.
Have you considered that God eats souls?  That we're just domesticated animals to him?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 03:47:46 PM »

How dare you not bow down to our all loving God!

He shall most likely murder you in a freak can opener accident and torture you forever for not believing in Him!

Why can't you sinners just open yourself up to the mercy and love of God?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 05:01:58 PM »

How dare you not bow down to our all loving God!

He shall most likely murder you in a freak can opener accident and torture you forever for not believing in Him!

Why can't you sinners just open yourself up to the mercy and love of God?

Because he made me without an easy to open lid. :(

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2022, 05:26:21 PM »
As I've said before, I think that if there is a God, he would want us to use our free will and ability to think critically in interpreting the Bible. Accepting that the Bible just means what someone else tells you it means defeats the whole point of giving us free will and providing us with a holy book to read. Faith, then, is not the goal, but rather personal development and independent thought.

Anyone who tells you you are going to Hell for your interpretation of the Bible is not speaking on behalf of God.

Offline ohplease

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2022, 08:27:45 PM »
As I've said before, I think that if there is a God, he would want us to use our free will and ability to think critically in interpreting the Bible. Accepting that the Bible just means what someone else tells you it means defeats the whole point of giving us free will and providing us with a holy book to read. Faith, then, is not the goal, but rather personal development and independent thought.

Anyone who tells you you are going to Hell for your interpretation of the Bible is not speaking on behalf of God.
All the data humans have collected shows no evidence of miracles or gods or devils or angels, etc.  Reasoning about the nature of reality (to my thinking at least) says that the "supernatural" is a meaningless term much like the center of an infinite plane.  If the universe, even if its a multi-verse, is everything than everything is natural.   If that reasoning is false then claiming its just wrong enough for the Christian God to exist but everything else is still legitimate seems no more or less likely than tea leaves being a good predictor of the future.  Humans invented gods to sooth the itch of not knowing things.  But the truth is that there is a lot we do not know, may never know, and perhaps even more that we have no contact with to even be aware that we don't know it.
Everyone wants to be treated well by others and the best chance we have for that is to treat everyone well.  Besides it feels good.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2022, 08:29:47 PM »
All the data humans have collected shows no evidence of miracles or gods or devils or angels, etc.
That is patently false, but par for the course for your brand of "science".

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 08:33:10 PM »
If the universe, even if its a multi-verse, is everything than everything is natural.
It is a good idea to understand the words you use before you use them.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/natural
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume