Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #1080 on: September 05, 2022, 08:46:48 AM »
My point being that the grid buckling under the weight of EVs is not something to be all that worried about.

It's almost like you just made this up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/10/13/electric-vehicles-grid-upgrade/

The only places saying the grid will be fine are, coincidentally, EV blogs where no one in the room has a degree in power engineering. Every time I watch power engineers talk about the grid at conferences, they look nervous as all hell and say the grid needs massive upgrades, then I hear politicians and environmental morons say "don't worry about it". Who do you think I'm going to believe? It's not coincidence that the same people saying it's "not something to be all that worried about" are the same people who know absolutely nothing about electrical power.

My goodness.  You act like the grid is some kind of otherworldly entity that has been gifted to us by aliens and as such as may never touch it or leave it as is.

I assure you this is not the case.  We regularly upgraded it for whatever need arises and I'm sure your power engineer friends will back me up on this, grumble as they might for having to do work.

FYI, I do know something about power.  And when I saw that, I'm being modest.

Rushy is right tho.
Its a massive undertaking that most electrical companies don't want to do unless they have to.  Not to mention building more power plants and that cost.

America has been dragging its feet on upgrades for decades because its not profitable to do so.  Instead of planning ahead and doing it before its needed.

Having alot of EVs at once is a big power need and will cause issues if the grid isn't ready.

I must disagree with the severity of the undertaking. 

There are about 2.32 million evs in the US.  The average distance they drive is 14263 miles in a year = 33,090,160,000.

At 330 wats per mision that's 10,919,752,800 kwh vs the grid's output of 4.12 trillion kwh. 

So currently EVs overall draw less than a percent of the grid.  Increase the number of EVs to 100% of passenger vehicles and the load would be 5%.

I think some of the confusion might be coming from comparing EV power draws to residential sources.  Residential makes up a relatively minor pie of the power grid.

I admit.  It is 1 in the morning and its easily possible that my numbers are wrong.  Feel free to correct me.

The problem isn't now.
The problem is in 20 years when its 200 million EVs.
Also you're looking at the entire grid as a whole.  You can't.  Power in New York can't go to California.  So you need to take each area.
Then look at peak power, like summers.  Air conditioners use a ton of power, which already stress the grid.
Percentages aren't what ya need to look it, its load.

Here's california, live grid usage.
https://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/default.aspx

It actually hits capacity around 6pm.
Which is whwn people start plugging in EVs to charge.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: September 05, 2022, 02:26:08 PM »
Ah. So a localized grid problem. That I can believe. Some states grids are better than others.

But like the good book says, all grids are upgradeable through christ Jesus.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: September 05, 2022, 08:10:43 PM »
The problem isn't now.
The problem is in 20 years when its 200 million EVs.

Same issue at the turn of the last century, the advent of electricity in general, proliferation of electric light. We'll stumble to make it work like we always have.

Here's california, live grid usage.
https://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/default.aspx

It actually hits capacity around 6pm.
Which is whwn people start plugging in EVs to charge.

I've never seen that link, thx.

8/22:
California already has the largest zero-emission car market in the country, with more than 1.13 million plug-in vehicles registered across the state. Nationally there are about 2.64 million. That means California accounts for 43% of the nation's plug-in cars.

CA:
12.5%
New Plug-in Electric Car Share - 2021

Apparently, here's what might be what we need to do infrastructure-wise:

Scott Painter is the CEO and founder of Autonomy, an electric vehicle subscription app. He says expanding DC charging stations will help because they are battery-powered and charge a vehicle in minutes.

"So when you go and charge at a DC fast-charging station you are not putting load on the grid so that's going to be by far the most responsible way for EV owners to lighten the load on the grid," said Painter.

The California legislature has made it a goal to have 10,000 DC fast charging stations across the state by 2025.

CA will most likely screw up the plan.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: September 06, 2022, 12:12:47 AM »
What they really should have done is pushed for plug in hybrids.  DC fast charging would have been a non issue.  Everyone charging when they get home from work would still be an issue though.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: September 06, 2022, 12:23:31 AM »
You should all pray for the EU and Germany as they freeze this winter thanks to Biden. Putin said enough, ty bye bye come again.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: September 06, 2022, 03:08:44 AM »
I don't get it. What does Biden have to do with the EU not getting oil/nat gas from Russia this winter?

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: September 06, 2022, 02:59:41 PM »
I don't get it. What does Biden have to do with the EU not getting oil/nat gas from Russia this winter?

Stick with your science BS as Puttie freezes your kester. Leave foreign policy to NATO forces and the Pedo man.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 06, 2022, 03:36:47 PM »

Stick with your science BS as Puttie freezes your kester. Leave foreign policy to NATO forces and the Pedo man.

That doesn't answer the question.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 06, 2022, 04:47:06 PM »
People talk the smack around here and only know what NASA goons tell them. Minions...

BATTERY POWERED VEHICLES:  The Green New Deal seeks to replace gas guzzling vehicles with battery power to reduce hydro carbon buildup.  This is not a simple matter. Some factors impacting on this green issue:

All world transportation (cars, trucks, planes, boats, trains) account for about 23% of greenhouse gas emissions while vehicles alone contribute about 15%.  There are over 1.45 billion vehicles in the world and less than half of one per cent are electric. There are about 291 million vehicles in the U.S., 20% of the world total, also with only about half of one percent electric.  Point being, we have a long way to go to reach the Paris Agreement goal of, “limiting greenhouse gas emissions by 50 % by 2030”.

Fact:  Increasing the number of EVs is not just a U.S. issue, it is a world issue: 80% of vehicles are outside the U.S.

"One electric car battery, weighs in at about 1000 pounds.  To produce one battery requires digging up and processing about 500,000 pounds of raw materials such as cadmium, cobalt, lead, lithium, and nickel. For example, for some of these type materials, the end product is about one half of one percent of the weight of the material dug out of the ground.

Here is the magnitude of the problem: To power 50% of the world’s vehicles by batteries, we would have to dig up, transport and process about 175 billion tons of earth’s materials. Currently, electric car battery life is about ten years and then we need to dig another 175 billion tons, and again and again and that is just to power half the cars."

https://wethepeoplespeaking.com/2022/06/12/lithium-how-much-for-how-long/

EV cars don't work for anything reasonable...Just look at Musk. My daughter has one of his shitty cars and regrets it.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 06, 2022, 06:14:16 PM »

I still don't get it. What does Biden and/or science BS have to do with the EU not getting oil/nat gas from Russia this winter?

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 06, 2022, 06:36:16 PM »
This is Hilarious.  Biden is the Extremist !

https://rumble.com/v1itg18-extremism.html

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: September 06, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »
I wish Biden was an extremist.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: September 06, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »

I still don't get it. What does Biden and/or science BS have to do with the EU not getting oil/nat gas from Russia this winter?

Try to follow the bouncing ball. According to this NATO has been in Ukraine since 2014 and to start a civil war with Russia in Donbass. Bingo.

Now ask yourself is Biden NATO man?

https://rumble.com/v1ism72-they-finally-admitted-it.html

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: September 06, 2022, 07:01:56 PM »

Try to follow the bouncing ball. According to this NATO has been in Ukraine since 2014 and to start a civil war with Russia in Donbass. Bingo.

In April 2014, demonstrations by pro-Russian groups in the Donbas escalated into a war between the Armed Forces of Ukraine and Russian-backed separatists of the self-declared Donetsk and Luhansk republics, backed by Russian political and special-forces personnel and deniable military advisors.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: September 06, 2022, 07:12:15 PM »
follow the bouncing ball...russia invaded with peace keepers in 2022

were not talking 2014 fighting..that was coup shit going on

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: September 06, 2022, 07:21:43 PM »
russia invaded

Uh, excuse me, but Russia didn't invade anyone. They're conducting a special military operation and were invited. I've deducted 200 points from your account for this mishap, Ivan, don't let it happen again.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 06, 2022, 08:16:12 PM »

Rama Set

« Reply #1097 on: September 06, 2022, 08:21:12 PM »
what a loser

Remember when MAGATs used this as a
Sure metric of Trumps imminent re-election? Yeah me too. Trump still hasn’t won a popular vote and couldn’t steal the 2020 election.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: September 06, 2022, 08:22:43 PM »
Biden supporters are busy at work tending to their careers and contributing to society. Trump supporters don't want to work and want to party all day at rallies. Sad!

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 06, 2022, 08:38:10 PM »
Pretty obvious now Biden won nothing. The election is all the swing states was stolen by machines, hand votes and mules dropping illegal ballots.

We all now know that here in the USSA it's been going on for 10+ years.

Great Country....