Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: FES Constitution, Second Draft
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »
Mentioning us is one thing, discussing things like "what if admins go rogue?" is another. If an admin wants to step down, or needs to be dismissed for some reason, that would fall under our remit, and wouldn't be part of the constitution. The idea here is that we have two separate documents (manifesto and constitution) for two separate structures. Formalising one within the other is problematic.

Now, your hypothetical situation can be easily resolved in a number of ways, either technical (e.g. an off-forum voting system) or organisational (allowing for multiple ways of voting and introducing e.g. e-mail votes). It doesn't warrant a discussion of how moderation should work.

Acknowledging that a separate document specifying how administration and moderation works is about as much as you can do if you really need to put a mention in there. Trying to prevent us from turning into tyrants via policy is simply unworkable. So Parsifal goes rogue and you tell him to step down - who cares? If he's gone rogue, he owns the site anyway and he won't listen to you. If Parsifal doesn't go rogue, but I do, it'll be him that deposes me, not you. Even if I didn't have organisational concerns about this idea, it's practically impossible to execute.

Your concerns are already addressed by the solution we have in place - the site and society are separate as far as management goes. If the society isn't happy with the website run for it, it can move, because there's nothing in the rules that ties it to the site. Trying to formalise this connection and then come up with a system where it can be severed is a waste of time.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 12:45:28 PM »
Perhaps some kind of system where the council recognises the forum as representing the society?

So you have a forum about Flat Earth theory that becomes the official Flat Earth Society forum because the council provides recognition. If the council is unhappy at the direction of the forum, they could withdraw their recognition and the forum would cease to officially represent the society. That way the council would be able to exert some influence over the administrators without direct involvement in moderation and administration.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »
Something along those lines could work, yeah

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
That's fine with me. In the next draft I'll replace TB's section about member types with a section about the existence of the forum and remove the stuff about mods and admins.

Should we include language defining what an official FES affiliated site is? This would have the advantage of a) clearly making a distinction between ourselves and parody sites like alaska.net and b) giving legitimacy to breakaway sites.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 04:25:39 AM »
That sounds sensible to me. I think The Terror's suggestion is spot on, really. Let's see if anyone else has input on this, though.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 07:10:23 PM »
The first line under the section Zetetic Council reads "The Zetetic Council will be in charge of publicizing the society and FET". I thought the ZC was more than that. It seems pretty specific for the first sentence.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
The first line under the section Zetetic Council reads "The Zetetic Council will be in charge of publicizing the society and FET". I thought the ZC was more than that. It seems pretty specific for the first sentence.

It is more than that. That entire paragraph is a list of the powers of the ZC.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
The President of the United States

The President of the United States chooses the new furniture upon move-in. Every thanksgiving the president is given the option of pardoning the White House turkey. On Easter the president participates holds the White House Easter Egg Roll on the South Lawn, open to kids of all ages. The President is also Commander and Chief of the Armed forces, signs and vetoes laws, issues Executive Orders, and appoints court justices.

Rama Set

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
I might be reading in to this, but I think Tom does not like the paragraph.