To Christians or Muslims who believe that the earth is a globe, did Jesus and the other prophets of God preach to the people that the earth was a globe, that man evolved from apes, and that the heavens and the earth were created in billions of years?  Or did they preach that the earth was flat, that man was created from clay, and that the heavens and the earth were created in 6 days?

EDIT: Ultimately, my question is this, did the prophets preach what the revelations of God said about creation, or did they preach the changing ideas of what science said about creation?

Flat earth:
https://quranicwarners.org/creation/#flatearth

Created from clay:
https://quranicwarners.org/creation/#clay

6 days creation:
https://quranicwarners.org/creation/#six
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:45:55 PM by Quranic Warners »
Follow those who do not ask for any payment, and they are rightly guided. [36:21, Qur'an]

Max_Almond

I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't say anything on the subject. Nothing anyone recorded, anyway.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
Jesus didn’t preach either.
Jesus came to give us salvation, not science.
The Bible shouldn’t be read like a science book, it contains deeper truths.
It tells us that we are a creation (leave it to science to work out when that happened and the mechanics of it), it tells us who we were created by and what we were created for. Science doesn’t say anything about this, it is not in the scope of science to determine whether we have a purpose.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't say anything on the subject. Nothing anyone recorded, anyway.

Genesis and many other books do talk about these things, so would Jesus and the other messengers have said for example that Genesis was wrong, a day does not equal a day, each "day" equals billions of years like Christians and Muslims say now?  And would Jesus and the other messengers have said that God did not create Adam from dust, rather, God evolved Adam from apes over millions of years?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:13:19 PM by Quranic Warners »
Follow those who do not ask for any payment, and they are rightly guided. [36:21, Qur'an]

Max_Almond

Jesus only wanted to rock the boat so much: otherwise he'd have been crucified right from the off.

But he did say: "you don't put new wine in old wineskins."

Jesus only wanted to rock the boat so much: otherwise he'd have been crucified right from the off.

So then you're saying had Jesus wanted to rock the boat, he would have said that the earth was created in billions of years, not 6 days, and that man evolved from apes over millions of years, not that God created Adam from dust?

Jesus didn’t preach either.
Jesus came to give us salvation, not science.
The Bible shouldn’t be read like a science book, it contains deeper truths.
It tells us that we are a creation (leave it to science to work out when that happened and the mechanics of it), it tells us who we were created by and what we were created for. Science doesn’t say anything about this, it is not in the scope of science to determine whether we have a purpose.

Jesus did not preach either directly in the Gospel, but my question is if you use reason, would Jesus have agreed with Genesis's account and the Qur'an's account that God created Adam from dust, or would he have instead said man evolved from apes over millions of years?  And would Jesus have agreed that God created the heavens and the earth in 6 days as Genesis and the Qur'an say or instead that it took billions of years?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
Jesus knows what really happened, He was there. It was actually made through him

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
John 1:1-3

But He didn't come to give people a science lesson and He was talking to a people nowhere near as advanced as we are now scientifically, He would have used language they understood.

As for being made from dust, the current scientific thinking is that elements are forged in stars and supernova then spew them across the universe, so if that's right we are actually made of stardust.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
To Christians or Muslims who believe that the earth is a globe, did Jesus and the other prophets of God preach to the people that the earth was a globe, that man evolved from apes, and that the heavens and the earth were created in billions of years?  Or did they preach that the earth was flat, that man was created from clay, and that the heavens and the earth were created in 6 days?

Many things happened before the first "day"

the heavens and earth were created.
light was created
light was separated from darkness and named.
No one knows how long those things took.

1.in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Many things happened before the first "day"

the heavens and earth were created.
light was created
light was separated from darkness and named.
No one knows how long those things took.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Except that it says evening and morning were the first day, so it defined the first day as having an evening and a morning, as well as the 2nd to 6th as having an evening and morning.

Except that it says evening and morning were the first day, so it defined the first day as having an evening and a morning, as well as the 2nd to 6th as having an evening and morning.

I am pretty sure that if God told these people that were living thousands of years ago that the world was created from single point of pure energy that rapidly expanded faster than light and that is happened billions of years ago, they wouldnt even of known what was being said, let alone write it down.  Do you also believe that the early man lived hundreds of years?
Quote from: SiDawg
Planes fall out of the sky all the time

I am pretty sure that if God told these people that were living thousands of years ago that the world was created from single point of pure energy that rapidly expanded faster than light and that is happened billions of years ago, they wouldnt even of known what was being said, let alone write it down.  Do you also believe that the early man lived hundreds of years?

Yes, both Genesis and the Qur'an give the final age of Noah to be 950 years.

Genesis 9:29
And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years, and he died.

29:14, Qur'an
We certainly sent Noah to his people, and he remained among them a thousand years minus fifty years, and the flood seized them while they were wrongdoers.

Jesus knows what really happened, He was there. It was actually made through him

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
John 1:1-3

But He didn't come to give people a science lesson and He was talking to a people nowhere near as advanced as we are now scientifically, He would have used language they understood.

As for being made from dust, the current scientific thinking is that elements are forged in stars and supernova then spew them across the universe, so if that's right we are actually made of stardust.

Except that Genesis says man was created from the dust of the earth, not stardust, and that Eve was created from Adam's rib.

Max_Almond

So then you're saying had Jesus wanted to rock the boat, he would have said that the earth was created in billions of years, not 6 days, and that man evolved from apes over millions of years, not that God created Adam from dust?

He probably didn't know how the universe and the world came into being: nobody did back then.

I guess if he was going to rock the boat he might have said something like: "Those are old stories, from a long time ago. They're not meant to be taken literally. They're symbolic, and reflective of a people's understanding of the time."

Though it's perhaps only in this day and age that the general religious populous are ready to get to grips with that sort of thing.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
It does, doesn't it? Although I believe "side" is a better interpretation than rib.
To be honest, I don't really understand early Genesis. But I believe the important truths are the fact that I am a creation, who I was created by and what I was created for, and my rebellion and need for salvation. These are the deeper truths of Genesis, I don't think it is to be read like a scientific textbook.

It does, doesn't it? Although I believe "side" is a better interpretation than rib.
To be honest, I don't really understand early Genesis. But I believe the important truths are the fact that I am a creation, who I was created by and what I was created for, and my rebellion and need for salvation. These are the deeper truths of Genesis, I don't think it is to be read like a scientific textbook.

You are correct in that it is important to know that you were created by God and that all things were created by God.  But believing in science's creation story leads to atheism or doubt or the changing of God's Scriptures to conform to what men say, but it is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man, for the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.  However, believing in God's creation story only leads to believing in God alone and that God is the Creator of all things.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile

Before the first morning the heavens and the earth were created. The first day did not begin until AFTER steps 1-4 listed above. It's pretty clear the morning didn't occur until AFTER the universe was created, light was created, and the light was separated from the darkness

Before the first morning the heavens and the earth were created. The first day did not begin until AFTER steps 1-4 listed above. It's pretty clear the morning didn't occur until AFTER the universe was created, light was created, and the light was separated from the darkness

So if morning did not occur until after this it still does not matter, even if you want to say it took billions of years for the heavens and the earth to be created before the first day, since that would still mean that God created the firmament of heaven in one day.  And on the third day, God created plants in one day.  Then on the fourth day, God made the stars and sun and moon on the fourth day in one day.  And on the fifth day, God created the whales and fowl in one day.  And on the sixth day God created the animals of the earth and man in one day.  None of that occurred in billions of years but rather days, which does not agree with science at all unless of course you continue to manipulate it and say it does not mean a day so you can conform Scripture to what atheists say because you want the glory of men rather than the glory of God.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile

So if morning did not occur until after this it still does not matter, even if you want to say it took billions of years for the heavens and the earth to be created before the first day

The title of this thread is "Did Jesus preach that earth was a globe and was created in billions of years?" If the morning did not occur until after this does matter.

If the earth was created prior to the first morning (as the bible has written) then the we have no idea how much time passed prior to the first morning thus don't know if the earth was created in billions of years or 1 second.

If the earth was created after the first morning (which contradicts the bible) and you believe the first day to be a literal 24 earth hour period  then the earth was created in less than 24 hours.

This is just about the age of the earth. Which, according to the bible, is unknown.

If you want to greater analyze Genesis day there is great debate with translation, as well as interpretation. If the sun was not made to provide light to the earth prior to the 4th "day" were the previous 3 "days" earth days? If they were how was morning and evening on earth without the Sun? Maybe this indicates that the Genesis "days" were not literal earth days but some other measurement of time. When I say back in the day i'm referring to a period of time not a literal 24 hour earth period. Maybe the word day was only referring to the 12 or so hours between sunrise and sunset and not a 24 hour earth rotation?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:20:12 PM by iamcpc »

Offline AATW

• View Profile

You are correct in that it is important to know that you were created by God and that all things were created by God.  But believing in science's creation story leads to atheism or doubt or the changing of God's Scriptures to conform to what men say, but it is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man, for the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.  However, believing in God's creation story only leads to believing in God alone and that God is the Creator of all things.

I actually agree that many people believe that science has proved religion wrong but I don't see it as a "science creation story" or a "God's creation story" and you have to pick one. Science doesn't have a creation story, it has nothing to say about whether we ARE a creation. The Bible has a creation story and that tells us that we ARE a creation, it tells us who created us and what He created us for.
Science is just trying to work out the mechanics of how that happened and the timescale, the current scientific thinking leads me to believe that the earth is billions of years old and the days of Genesis are not literal, but it has nothing to say about whether I have a purpose, that is not in the scope of science.
Religion and science are simply asking different questions. Broadly speaking science asks "How?" and religion asks "Why?"