Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: No flat earth model can explain this case
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2018, 11:48:41 PM »
I don't see any observations
OK. Well I can see why you come to such ridiculous conclusions. Like I said, you can make these observations any time you want to know. All you have to do is look.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2018, 12:45:07 AM »
Until you are willing to explain the results of my thought experiment, I am unwilling to explain the results of yours.

Yet, barely two posts earlier - "Your "thought experiment" has been answered to multiple times."

I concur. More than one person has addressed your thought experiment. Have you read what they (and I) wrote?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2018, 02:05:01 AM »
And evidence that this actually happens?

If you guys are unwilling to explain the results of my thought experiment -- which clearly shows your model to be wrong, then I am unwilling to explain the results of yours.

No one has ever dug a hole and fell into space nor did it ever appear like that had happened. The sun rises and sets every day. The OP is not proposing a thought experiment but a literal one. You can do it with a friend tomorrow if you like.

Your post does nothing to address the OP.

I don't see any observations or records. Therefore it is a thought experiment.

Until you are willing to explain the results of my thought experiment, I am unwilling to explain the results of yours.

The thought experiment has been explained.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2018, 03:12:09 AM »
OK. Well I can see why you come to such ridiculous conclusions. Like I said, you can make these observations any time you want to know. All you have to do is look.

All you have to do is dig.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2018, 04:00:54 AM »

All you have to do is dig a hole through the earth vs all you have to do is watch the sunrise/sunset with a friend?

You do realize you are being beyond ridiculous?
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2018, 06:52:42 AM »

All you have to do is dig a hole through the earth vs all you have to do is watch the sunrise/sunset with a friend?

You have provided no observations or reports of that scenario. Until then it is a mere thought experiment no better than mine.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »
So, once again, Tom has basically avoided the question.
And the difference between his thought experiment and the one in the OP is that what would happen in his scenario can be answered and has been answered.
The OP one cannot by a flat earth model.

A consistent angular speed of the sun over the day and the long shadows at sunset prove that the sun is not simply rotating above a plane of the earth.
Both of these things are observable and prove their model incorrect. I never understand why the FE community don't try and engage with this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:46:11 AM by AllAroundTheWorld »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2018, 10:05:41 AM »
You have provided no observations or reports of that scenario. Until then it is a mere thought experiment no better than mine.

Why didn't you say that in the first place?

I, for one, could make no connection between the two until now, and genuinely thought yours so unrelated to theirs that there was no connection between them. I genuinely thought you were throwing a random argument into the thread.

You have to tell everyone reading this what's going on in your head, not have them guess at it...

So ... all RE has to do is find a few sets of two observers at antipodal points and have them film or video sunrise and sunset with  some verifiable proof of time and date in frame?  Shouldn't be difficult. What will happen then? Will you assert that the T&D could have been falsified, or will you accept that the observers are simply showing you what's happening in front of them?

As for your thought experiment, I invite you to make preparations for, or commence when ready.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:13:38 AM by Tumeni »
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2018, 12:24:07 PM »

All you have to do is watch the sunrise/.sunset with a friend which is entirely possible. What you are suggesting is entirely impossible. That's the difference, as I'm sure you know.

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »

Why didn't you say that in the first place?

I, for one, could make no connection between the two until now, and genuinely thought yours so unrelated to theirs that there was no connection between them. I genuinely thought you were throwing a random argument into the thread.

You have to tell everyone reading this what's going on in your head, not have them guess at it...

So ... all RE has to do is find a few sets of two observers at antipodal points and have them film or video sunrise and sunset with  some verifiable proof of time and date in frame?  Shouldn't be difficult. What will happen then? Will you assert that the T&D could have been falsified, or will you accept that the observers are simply showing you what's happening in front of them?

As for your thought experiment, I invite you to make preparations for, or commence when ready.

The point is, of course, that if anyone other than FE believers were to do this experiment (which has of course been done a vast number of times, in different ways) then they would simply discount it. If they were to actually do it then we'd have an interesting spectacle as they'd have to claim that the people on the other side were actually CIA plants.

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »

All you have to do is watch the sunrise/.sunset with a friend which is entirely possible. What you are suggesting is entirely impossible. That's the difference, as I'm sure you know.

It would also be necessary to do what proponents of any theory would do - predict what the expected result would be, perform the experiment, and then adjust one's view of reality accordingly. Try to get a FE proponent to predict what the consequences of FE theory should be. It's a futile exercise. Whatever is observed is just part of refraction/perspective/<insert buzzword here>.

BrownRobin

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »

It would also be necessary to do what proponents of any theory would do - predict what the expected result would be, perform the experiment, and then adjust one's view of reality accordingly. Try to get a FE proponent to predict what the consequences of FE theory should be. It's a futile exercise. Whatever is observed is just part of refraction/perspective/<insert buzzword here>.

What you just described (i.e. performing emperical experiments) is the Zetetic method.

Sadley, the Zetetic method is applied by FES in an ad-hoc manner (whenever it suits and aligns to the Flat Earth model).

If the Zetetic method of experimentation were applied, than FES would reject the notion of hoaxes; hoaxes are speculation and don't align with the Zetetic approach. 

The way that FES say they use the Zetetic approach VS. their propensity to subscribe to government and NASA hoaxes or fakery is a case study of hypocrisy.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:07:16 PM by BrownRobin »

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2018, 05:45:47 PM »

Both of these things are observable and prove their model incorrect. I never understand why the FE community don't try and engage with this sort of thing.

I think that's asked and answered.

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 06:20:39 AM »
I just had a thought which may help the OP accomplish exactly what Mr. Bishop has asked for in terms of proof of his conjecture.

There are webcams all over the world with 24 hour real time feeds on the internet. You see what I'm getting at?

Of course, we would have to assume that the feeds aren't faked, the cameras are actually where they are purported to be, etc. As an example, though, I can personally vouch for the veracity of location and date/time accuracy of web cameras on both sides of the North American continent, if that would help. I have personally witnessed (seen) many on both the east and west edges of the continent.

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 10:08:40 PM »
If you dig a hole deep enough you will eventually fall out into space. How do you explain that? Checkmate.

Hi Tom

Since this is your statement, the burden of proof is on you that your statement is actually correct. When that has been successfully done, and only then, can you demand to know why this should be the case.
The more light one sheds into the churches past, the darker it gets.

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »
Let me get this straight Tom, are you actually trying to claim that there is no way one person can observe the sun going up while another, a large distance away, can observe the same sun going down? This is something that can be seen every minute of every day (given the right locations)...

The OP’s point is basically the same as many other threads on this forum, including my latest one that shows objects hidden behind the horizon: the FE hypothesis cannot possibly explain this scenario. The common flerfer responses of "perspective" and "atmosphere acts as a lens" are non-answers because they really don’t explain what we actually see, no matter how many times you say it. Sorry Tommy, the evidence against your silly beliefs is overwhelming. Maybe it’s time to give them up?

Offline Ratboy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »
Let me get this straight Tom, are you actually trying to claim that there is no way one person can observe the sun going up while another, a large distance away, can observe the same sun going down? This is something that can be seen every minute of every day (given the right locations)...

The OP’s point is basically the same as many other threads on this forum, including my latest one that shows objects hidden behind the horizon: the FE hypothesis cannot possibly explain this scenario. The common flerfer responses of "perspective" and "atmosphere acts as a lens" are non-answers because they really don’t explain what we actually see, no matter how many times you say it. Sorry Tommy, the evidence against your silly beliefs is overwhelming. Maybe it’s time to give them up?

Are we saying that all the people around the world who watch a sunset or watch the moon and see that the same face is always towards us whereever you are in the world is simply a thought experiment the same as digging a hole straight through the world?  Why bother digging a hole when you can hop on a plane and go the opposite point in the world cheaper?