Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Another big Mass Shooting
« on: February 15, 2018, 05:45:46 AM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Another big Mass Shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »
I was shocked when I read this was the sixth this year. School shootings are almost becoming a 'dog bites man' story.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:31:06 PM »
I thought this was the 18th school shooting.

edit -

I'm half right.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/14/school-shootings-in-america-2018-how-many-so-far
In all, guns have been fired on school property in the US at least 18 times so far this year, according to incidents tracked by Everytown for Gun Safety, a gun control group. In eight of these cases, a gun was fired on school property, but no one was injured. Another two incidents were gun suicides, claiming the lives of one student and one adult on school property.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:32:45 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:22:31 PM »
Wow... what a douche-bag.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jack-kingston-florida-survivors-hijacked_us_5a8c1f50e4b09fc01e037d29?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618

Summary:
"Teenagers are being manipulated by the left to hate guns just because their school got shot up.  Oh and they're too stupid to organize national rallies without help from grown ups." - Jack Kingston (paraphrasing)

"Fuck you." -Students (paraphrasing)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:24:41 PM by Lord Dave »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
Holy shit, Trump is (maybe) bowing to pressure!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-21/bump-stock-prices-soar-after-trump-proposes-ban

Watch the video.  Even the NRA, on Fox News, agrees with addition regulations for bump stocks!

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 12:57:57 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-21/bump-stock-prices-soar-after-trump-proposes-ban

Watch the video.  Even the NRA, on Fox News, agrees with addition regulations for bump stocks!

Banning bump stocks won't do anything. You can make your own from supplies from Home Depot.
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 01:44:04 AM »

Banning bump stocks won't do anything. You can make your own from supplies from Home Depot.

As long as it makes anti-gun advocates think they're actually accomplishing anything, I'm fine with them getting banned.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 01:53:21 AM »

As long as it makes anti-gun advocates think they're actually accomplishing anything, I'm fine with them getting banned.

The problem is they won't stop there. You and I have little use for bump stocks. However depending on the wording of the bill banning bump stocks, it can pratically ban all semi automatic firearms or at least ban lighter triggers and barrels.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 03:10:27 AM »
The problem is they won't stop there. You and I have little use for bump stocks. However depending on the wording of the bill banning bump stocks, it can pratically ban all semi automatic firearms or at least ban lighter triggers and barrels.

I don't see the current Congress creating any document that bans any meaningful amount of firearms or firearm accessories.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 06:18:18 AM »

I am aware.
Doesn't mean it isn't a step.  I can only hope its used as a springboard to other bans.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »

I am aware.
Doesn't mean it isn't a step.  I can only hope its used as a springboard to other bans.

And you just validated my concerns as to why I'm not in favor of the ban. If you succeed with this, you won't be happy until you're three miles down the road.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »

I am aware.

And you just validated my concerns as to why I'm not in favor of the ban. If you succeed with this, you won't be happy until you're three miles down the road.
I won't be happy until kids can go to school without having to worry they'll be shot at.

And if you feel your guns are more important than that, then you don't deserve a future.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »
I won't be happy until kids can go to school without having to worry they'll be shot at.

And if you feel your guns are more important than that, then you don't deserve a future.

That is a quality strawman.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 05:42:39 PM »

That is a quality strawman.
Not really.  I'm voicing my opinion.
I, personally, won't be happy.
And if it requires me going 3 miles down the road, then I'll go 3 miles down that god damn road.

If it requires banning all guns in America, then that'll make me happy.
It if requires putting an armed solider at every school building, fine.
If it requires $900 Billion of mental health professionals and aid to the American people, fine.

But I'm tired of people like this bitching about how guns don't kill people, people do, then bitching when we restrict people from buying guns, then nothing actually gets done.  No one bothers to fix the problem, just mourn, fight a little in congress, then go "oh well, let's move on to how horrible immigrants are."

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 05:47:43 PM »
Dave, you don't even live in America. You live in a country where getting guns isn't even that difficult, in fact, per capita your country has the 8th highest gun ownership on the planet. Why are you so worried about gun rights in a country you don't live in?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Look, Norway has 1/3 the amount of guns per capita that America has. Does that mean Norway has 1/3 the amount of mass shootings? No? Really makes you wonder.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:50:11 PM by Rushy »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/22/587832544/threats-against-schools-increase-since-florida-shooting

Well shit.
Hey look, the number of mass shootings NOT happening and how many already had the guns.
God, it's like getting the gun is the easiest part.  Maybe we should make that more difficult...

Dave, you don't even live in America. You live in a country where getting guns isn't even that difficult, in fact, per capita your country has the 8th highest gun ownership on the planet. Why are you so worried about gun rights in a country you don't live in?
It's not easy to get a gun here.  You can get a hunting rifle or shotgun easier than a handgun but you can't just say "I want a gun" you need a REASON to get a gun.  And "I need to protect my home from criminals" isn't good enough.  "I wanna hunt moose" usually is though.  But then you're limited to hunting rifles. 

And yeah, I'd believe that.  Hunting is big here and so is sports shooting.  And with a whopping 5 million people, it's really not hard to have a high amount of gun ownership.  (though 8th really doesn't mean much given how many countries either outlaw gun ownership or have a population too poor to afford them.) 

But again, they're super regulated.  Cops can actually go to your house and inspect your gun safe at any time.  Warrant not needed.  So you know...

And hey, you're right.  1/3 less guns but way less mass shootings.  Maybe it has something to do with population?  The whole "most guns are outlawed"?  The mental health system everyone has free access to?
Just a thought.

And I care because
1) I AM American.  I lived there for 32 god damn years.
2) I do have friends and family there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:01:11 PM by Lord Dave »

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »
I think America should do it in baby steps. Eat away at gun laws.

Example.

1) How is it in America you can't buy a beer until you are 21, but you can buy a semi-automatic machine gun? That makes no sense. I'd up the age of gun ownership to 21. This would make it way harder for kids to shoot other kids. You can't be expelled from a college and go buy a gun. You aren't old enough.

2) I would make it an offense to carry a gun that isn't registered to you. You can't fire it, you can't hold it for a buddy, you can't look after it. The only person allowed to hold your gun is you.

3) You have to have your gun license on you, if you have the gun on you. Not carrying the license whilst armed should be an offense.

4) You have to obey drink drive style gun laws. If you are packing, you can be breathalyzed. If you are over the drink drive limit, you're over the gun carrying limit. The sentencing should be similar.

5) Ammo and guns must be stored in separate locked storage containers.

6) Designated smoking area style laws. You can't carry a gun into a school, into a hospital, into a restaurant, a convenience store, a bank or a bar. Anywhere where there are either vulnerable people, cash registers or they serve alcohol. If private businesses want to ban guns on their premises, its their private property and they are at liberty to do so and to search you before entry. You can take your business elsewhere if you object.

7) You can't operate heavy machinery when using certain drugs. That extends to carrying guns under the same influences. If you are too cognitively impaired to work a machine without hurting yourself, you're too impaired to make calls on when to pull out your gun.

Maybe some of these things are already laws, but I'd just keep turning the screw. Make it harder to get guns, more inconvenient to own them and pain to carry them around. If you really are a decent citizen and shoot targets on your own land or hunt and never bother anyone, I don't see an issue with that, but you wouldn't fall foul of any of the suggestions I put forward. You'd already be doing these things as they are responsible actions.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:13:09 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
While gun laws vary by state, of your 8 list...
I think 7 of them are already laws in most places.  I think #1 is the only one not a law in most (if any) states.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »
Great. I put forward 7 proposals. We voted through one of them, we just made America safer.

Now make another 7 and do it again. Just keep eating away at it.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Honestly, reinstating the whole "ban if you have a mental illness" would help a lot.  Like "If you take medication because you have a mental illness like depression or anxiety, you shouldn't have a gun".

The next would be "No one with a gun ban can have access or possible access to a privately owned gun".

Like most mass shooters get their guns either by buying them legally or from a friend/family member.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:43:11 PM by Lord Dave »