Offline mtnman

• View Profile
Re: High tide(s)
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:04 AM »
i genuinely think i have an explanation for the two high tides and its simply that the GIF on the FAQs is slightly wrong.

Are you referring to this animation (GIF)? https://wiki.tfes.org/File:SunAnimation.gif

The one that shows the moon orbiting the Earth once a day?
The one showing a repeating pattern with no seasons?
The one that can't possibly replicate the phases of the moon?
The one that shows the sun setting/rising in different directions than we observe with our eyes?

If so, it's more that slightly wrong.
fine then very wrong but the thing about the sun is the if north is at the centre of a flat earth then from all different parts of the world north would point to the center south would point to the outside and east would piont to where the sun rises in a day as for the moon i explained it wasnt moving in that pattern and the seasons on it was wrong too the i think it would revolve in ovals that slightly change daily so at some points it would be in different parts of a country making it warmer and colder hence seasons

So we agreed that the animation of the Earth/Sun/Moon on the FES wiki is completely wrong. Let's dwell on that for a moment.

Moving on... That animation doesn't show the sun rising in the east. Look where the sun is when the cone of light hits a specific spot and imagine a line connecting the two. It's not east.

I guess the main point is, that trying to explain things starting with a map that is completely wrong is always going to give you the wrong answers.

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
The moon moves across the sky almost exactly like the sun does, there's definitely no possibility of it moving across the sky twice as fast. It actually moves slightly SLOWER than the sun.

Next time there's a new moon, wait a couple of days and you'll see the crescent moon in the sky just after sunset. The next night, it will be slightly higher and slightly fuller at sunset. So while the sun has appeared to make a complete circuit, the moon makes slightly less than one circuit.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 12:45:05 AM »

Because it's a battle of good and evil. I'm choppin a few demonic heads here and there. Glad I'm under your skin.

Well at least that makes sense. I'm sorry you feel that I'm evil though - or maybe I'm just misguided or misled by the devil or something?

You go ahead and use the "oh the moon pulls the water off both sides of the earth" spinning ball nonsense for tides.

In all of recorded time only twice in history, once in 1960 and once in 2012 did a submersible reach the bottom of the ocean. Even military subs only go 1/10 as deep. So yes you tell me how God explained it to you or let you see? Come again? I'm listening

Well now hold on a second. Using the "spinning ball nonsense" for tides, humans have been able to correctly calculate the exact timing and magnitude of the tides well in advance. Can you do that with "God is making the earth breathe" conjecture?

It sounds like you're saying that at the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean there is a hole through which water flows to make the tides raise and lower. This cannot explain how tides actually work, which is that they are low in one part of the earth and high in another at the same time, and where the tide is high and where the tide is low corresponds exactly to the predictions made by the spinning ball nonsense.

Seriously, can you take the "God did it" explanation and make any predictions about how the world works? Should we throw out tide tables and eclipse predictions because it's spinning ball nonsense?

Who asks questions here on this forum? The roundies not the God fearing FE'ers, we know the score.

That's entirely my point. If you don't ask questions because you know all the answers, but you can't even predict when the tide will come and go, I guess you don't care about sailing. What else can't you accomplish if you don't ask questions about how the world works? Are diseases caused by viruses and bacteria or by bad humours or evil spirits? Who knows! Stop asking questions!

Offline Ga_x2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 05:57:11 AM »
that is true but we can see the moon move while in the sky not zipping by but if there was a telescope pointing towards the moon at night and u watched the telescope for half an hour u would see it move
of course it moves, it just doesn't move so fast to circle the world two times a day... That is a set fact that neither group here would dispute, I think.
Today, for instance, the moon around my parts will rise sometime past 5 pm and set at around 3 am. It goes slowly :)

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »
The earth gives off it's liquids with reliability. Can this type of clockwork create oceanic tides? Of course.

What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »
The earth gives off it's liquids with reliability. Can this type of clockwork create oceanic tides? Of course.

From nps.gov Yellowstone site

The average interval between eruptions of Old Faithful Geyser changes; as of October 2015, the usual interval is 94 minutes ± 10 minutes, with intervals ranging from 51 to 120 minutes. Old Faithful can vary in height from 106 to more than 180 feet, averaging 130 feet. Eruptions normally last between 1½ to 5 minutes and expel from 3,700 to 8,400 gallons of water.

You think you can predict tides from something like that?

Typical FE response. I found something about water. I've answered the questions about tides. Yeah me! No need to think about it any more.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »

The average interval between eruptions of Old Faithful Geyser changes; as of October 2015, the usual interval is 94 minutes ± 10 minutes, with intervals ranging from 51 to 120 minutes. Old Faithful can vary in height from 106 to more than 180 feet, averaging 130 feet. Eruptions normally last between 1½ to 5 minutes and expel from 3,700 to 8,400 gallons of water.

Typical FE response. I found something about water. I've answered the questions about tides. Yeah me! No need to think about it any more.

Lets see you replicate a globe with 1/4 inch of water on it that sticks while you spin it. We'll wait....begin
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »

Lets see you replicate a globe with 1/4 inch of water on it that sticks while you spin it. We'll wait....begin
Can't do that while still affected by Earth's gravitational field. Also as a note to try to give some idea of scale, with 1/4 inch of water, the globe for the Earth would have to be roughly 829 inches in diameter. Or just over 69 feet.

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 04:27:17 PM »

Can't do that while still affected by Earth's gravitational field. Also as a note to try to give some idea of scale, with 1/4 inch of water, the globe for the Earth would have to be roughly 829 inches in diameter. Or just over 69 feet.

Thanks Squirrel, was going to say something similar.

Another typical response, change the subject and redirect. He states that something like geysers causes tides, that just magically coincide with the orbit of the moon, then tries to shift the burden of proof to someone else with an experiment that can't work in a gravitational field.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »

If we did your experiment in the depths of space (where there is no OTHER gravity tugging on it) - and if we rotated the tiny globe (made out of suitably dense rock) very slowly (only once every 24 hours) - then indeed, the water would stick to it.  The tiny gravity of a ball of rock is enough to oppose the very tiny centrifugal force of such slow rotation speeds.

But you're imagining the ball here on earth - but here, the earth's gravity totally overwhelms the ball's gravity - so the water falls off.

So don't just jump to conclusions..."OH!  This sounds impossible!  It's can't be true!"...well, stop and think about it for a moment.  When you do, the truth will emerge.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »

Thank you all, especially qeek for confirming you can't replicate it, not here, not in outer space. It's all BS water sticking to a ball.

Breathe deep God, the tides work great like old faithful.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »

Thank you all, especially qeek for confirming you can't replicate it, not here, not in outer space. It's all BS water sticking to a ball.

Are you terminally incapable of reading a darned thing?

YES WE COULD REPLICATE IT IN SPACE.

We even know how Old Faithful works.   It's a hole in the ground, with some seriously hot rocks at the bottom and a small underground stream that slowly feeds water into the hole.

The water at the bottom of the hole boils into steam which propels the rest of the water out of the geyser in a fountain.

But then, cold water from the stream floods back in, cooling the surface of the rock.   Now it's a race against time.   The stream is filling the hole with water, while the rocks below gradually heat up again, then start warming up the water again.   Once the water hits boiling point, the process starts all over again.

The pressure of the water coming into the hole varies slightly through the year and depends on recent rainfall and so forth - and this explains the small variations in the period of the effect.

How the heck you get from that to Ocean tides is anyone's guess.   Aside from water moving - there is NOTHING to connect the dots here.

You're really kinda useless at doing this stuff aren't you?

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 08:21:22 PM »
Thanks Qeek for the confirmation that there is no video of the replication of water sticking to a spinning ball. If there had been you would have posted it. Why don't you do a CGI 3d one since it's your field? Fake it, like NASA

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »

I'll get right on that after you prove anything you said about the Earth breathing tides.

Seriously, no one could actually be this ignorant. I guess you just like trolling for sake of trolling.

Add one to the FE response standard plan.
Option 1:Derail by changing subject.
Option 2:Ignore.
Option 3:Derail by suggesting something so stupid everyone forgets the original subject.

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »
Thanks Qeek for the confirmation that there is no video of the replication of water sticking to a spinning ball. If there had been you would have posted it. Why don't you do a CGI 3d one since it's your field? Fake it, like NASA
Foul on the play. Moving the goalposts. 10-yard penalty. Automatic first down.

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 08:29:16 PM »
LOL. But no ejection option like unsportsman like conduct.

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »
I try not to directly engage J-man. At best he's a troll, at worst he actually believes whole heartedly what he's saying. Either way there's no discussion with him when everything boils down to "God did it" or "Satan did it" in his apparent worldview. Also, apologies to Junker for how off-track this thread has gotten. Lemme see where we were...

Hmm, not very far. My best guess for a way to explain tides on a FE would be it's own weird sort of momentum. The moon pulling at the water as it passes above creates a mirror effect on the opposite side in some way similar to how it works on a RE. Seems alright on the surface like so much of FE at least.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
I try not to directly engage J-man. At best he's a troll, at worst he actually believes whole heartedly what he's saying. Either way there's no discussion with him when everything boils down to "God did it" or "Satan did it" in his apparent worldview. Also, apologies to Junker for how off-track this thread has gotten. Lemme see where we were...

Hmm, not very far. My best guess for a way to explain tides on a FE would be it's own weird sort of momentum. The moon pulling at the water as it passes above creates a mirror effect on the opposite side in some way similar to how it works on a RE. Seems alright on the surface like so much of FE at least.

Wait what? You're allowed to post some ridiculous theory off the top of your head but I give a 2,000 & 1,000 year old, (one being from scientist in a book) fact and mine is dismissed. Laughable, but RE folks are laughable huh....More Kool-aid and Chemtrails please

Offline Ga_x2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »
So, page 2 and no answer with a lick of explanatory power. Par for the course, I guess. Anyone else?

Revel

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 03:59:06 AM »
God does it
Thanks for the contribution. It's a possibility.
There's a catch, though. My municipality has a service predicting the tides (it's important around here) and it's very precise. It's not a church though, so I don't think they are in contact with the almighty. Do you happen to know *how* God does it? ;D
most likely the same way he creates an electrical current in your body that surrounds your heart causing it to contract (pump) 2.5 BILLION times in your life. Did your crew figure that one out?
I don't know, I can check with a cardiologist, if you want. What does this have to do with the OP?

Because you ridicule the creator and expect someone not of God to understand. You can't even understand the basic principle of life, the body and how it works, yet you think YOU should be given the answer as to how something divine works.

Not only did God do it, he did everything. I know it's tough to swallow but your the one asking the questions because your clueless. Get it?

J-Man, you're stepping on some dangerous grounds. You are very religious, but there are enough people out there who do not believe in God. We can explain multiple topics scientifically, without offending Him, and no matter how many times you play the sycophant and try to flatter the eyes of God with the dance of dramatic verbosity, you cannot prove a point very infallibly. Please, consider your words. Explain to us why you think God is the creator, for once and all. Explain to us the relevance of God in the fashion of an occurrence capable of evidence. Deduction, my friend. Mark its capabilities.